Actual sports thread, because why not?

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    they haven't started playing yet
  • ah, my mistake

the only sports team i really care about is the ironpigs but it's not baseball season anymore 
  • The Astros are in the playoffs.

They are only a wild card, so they have a long long way to go. Still, the last time they made it to the playoffs was a decade ago and this is their first winning season in quite some time, so I am happy for them.
  • pls beat the Yankees
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-10-07 03:22:50

Well, the Astros won, eliminating the Yankees from the playoffs. They advance to the ALDS against the Royals.

Keuchel was stellar as usual (he is my AL Cy Young pick), even on three days rest, and I thought the offense was pretty good overall, even if some people were left on base.

The Astros swept the Royals in one series and lost another 1-2, so I am not really sure what to think about that matchup. I think the Royals will probably be favored by a good bit though.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    OpAPHID said:

incidentally because i am a pedantic git

Tachyon said:

World cup final tonight (or today, depending on your time zone)!  USA vs Japan.

battle of the only two large countries that call it soccer
    "Soccer" is the main term in Canada and South Africa; it's also an accepted alternative to "football" in Ireland and the Philippines, and more controversially in Australia (where they're trying to get people to stop calling it "soccer").

Incidentally, the term originated as Oxford slang.  You had the two sports, Association football and Rugby football, so they nicknamed them "soccer" and "rugger".

Australian and Canadian football are varieties of gridiron football, and Gaelic football is rugby-level aggro and has little to do with any of the three main schools, so this makes sense.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ok but DON'T MENTION RUGBY
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    is "don't mention rugby" because of the recent world cup thing or
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Hey, look on the bright side, we made history!
    world record humiliation

(i was joking, though)
    >If I were made owner of Washington's football team, I would immediately move the team to Brooklyn, change the team name and logo, and make the uniforms pink, because I think pink is a great color that is under-represented in sports, and also because it would make dumb guys mad. I would like this franchise to lose every shred of its identity, everything that makes it itself, until the entire franchise is an empty bucket that can be filled with a football team capable of justifying its own existence.

I wish I hated the Washington Football Team this much
    they just seem SO loathsome
    so for the Brit who doesn't know a whole lot about US sports, what makes them so loathsome?
    the racist name, the poor management, the franchise's iron grip on PR (to the point that Dan Snyder actually owns DC's ESPN Radio affiliate and in general has a very tight grip on what the Washington media can say about the team)
    . . . ohhh those guys

i'm sorry, i had kinda a brainfart there, i know about them
    also their former star quarterback Robert Griffin III has suffered a lot of career-threatening injuries that can be attributed mostly to the shitty groundskeeping at their stadium
    i didn't know that

that's bad
  • rugby stopped existing after 2003
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember being seriously weirded out when people cheered for the patent office canceling Washington Football Team's trademark registration.

Sure, the name is effective and ought to be changed, but...is it really the government's place to make that call? Shouldn't the First Amendment mean all trademark registrations are valid even if they're abjectly offensive?
  • edited 2015-10-12 13:59:46
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    trademark law is really weird and even though the registration is canceled there's a good chance that if they sue they'll still win even without a registration because the law actually lets you keep a trademark without registering it at all

this isn't really a comment on your post, just a thing it made me think about
  • Well, the Astros lost in frustrating fashion. This still was their best season in years though.
  • guys, cricket stopped existing yesterday.
    what happened?  i don't follow it
  • nothing evidently

if it doesn't exist anymore that is
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    baseball and cricket have a weird shared history
    ACC tournament time.  Haven't really paid attention to basketball as much as in previous years but the Tar Heels have a good team it seems?  Currently playing Pitt whose presence in the ACC is still kinda weird
    UNC finally pulled away to dominate Pitt.  Now Duke and ND, whose winner plays UNC tomorrow, might go into overtime
    lmao "tar heels" chants in duke vs nd
    do you hate duke
    Anonus said:

do you hate duke

i hate duke in the mostly-joking way sports rivalries go
    my history instructor is a KU alumnus

wonder how she feels about them being knocked out
    all but one of the one-seeds got knocked out at the elite 8
    only disappointing thing tonight was learning that reporter dwayne ballen's name is not pronounced "ballin'" like you would expect the perfect name for a sports reporter to be
    FUCK VILLANOVA
    i decided if i was gonna watch it I would root for UNC solely because of you

i was asleep for the game but i'm sorry
    lol I'm better now.  it was a good game despite that fuckin' heartbreaker at the end
    (officiating kinda sucked though)
  • LeBron James won his third championship, and first for Cleveland Cavaliers. First Cleveland championship since 1962
  • First NBA team ever to win the championship after being down 3-1 in the finals
    That too

Also GS blew their 73-9 season
    The World Series starts tonight, and it's between the Chicago Cubs (who haven't won one since 1908 and prior to now haven't even made it since 1945) and the Cleveland Indians (who haven't won one since 1948 or made it since 1997)

My mother and I are wondering whether or not to have a mini-party with pizza and pierogies
    No pizza tonight
    I was actually considering making a thread for the World Series but I doubt it'd get much interest
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Go Cleveland!
    the Cubs' abbreviation on the scoreboard now reads "CHI" instead of "CHC"