Richard Dawkins

13»

Comments

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Odradek said:

GOD of Abraham, GOD of Isaac, GOD of Jacob/

not of the philosophers and of the learned-Blaise Pacal
    Yeah, I was thinking of that passage.
  • Physics discussions of primordial circumstances do very much resemble pseudo-religion.  I mean, to massively oversimplify, it ultimately does come down to a bunch of particles spontaneously appearing and saying "fuck you I'm a universe".
  • i can literally say anything in this thread and nobody will respond

i am

THE INVISIBLE CAT
  • My dreams exceed my real life

i can literally say anything in this thread and nobody will respond

i am

THE INVISIBLE CAT
    I missed your post because it was at the bottom of the page.
  • edited 2014-01-14 19:29:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    @Darcy: But that's my point: It is no longer a scientific argument once you get past a certain point.

Also, when I say being, I mean it in reference to the Eriugena quote that I refer to earlier. There is being in the sense of that which is, within the context of this reality; then there is the sort of more abstract notion of what is. A creator-force is beyond the first sort of being, and past that point the first sort of being is irrelevant.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Bee said:

Physics discussions of primordial circumstances do very much resemble pseudo-religion.  I mean, to massively oversimplify, it ultimately does come down to a bunch of particles spontaneously appearing and saying "fuck you I'm a universe".

that's a common misconception

The Big Bang was the time at which space started to expand, at which point the observable universe was crammed into a small (not infinitesimal) space

before that, if it even makes sense to talk about before that, we know nothing, but that doesn't mean the universe just spontaneously appeared
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

Bee said:

Physics discussions of primordial circumstances do very much resemble pseudo-religion.  I mean, to massively oversimplify, it ultimately does come down to a bunch of particles spontaneously appearing and saying "fuck you I'm a universe".

that's a common misconception

The Big Bang was the time at which space started to expand, at which point the observable universe was crammed into a small (not infinitesimal) space

before that, if it even makes sense to talk about before that, we know nothing, but that doesn't mean the universe just spontaneously appeared
    Exactly.

That's also what I've been talking about this whole time.

i can literally say anything in this thread and nobody will respond

i am

THE INVISIBLE CAT
    I am always keeping your words in mind, love.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-14 19:52:34
    I'm well aware of the pre-Bang theories (I was, like, borderline grad-level physics before I transferred).  Branes, man.  Braaaaaanes.

Like I said.  Massively oversimplify.

Also keep in mind that almost anything I say is likely to be about 40% minimum for lulz.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

But what can we know about the first cause?

brb legally changing my name to Blaise Pacal

Duuude that's a huge subject. Start with Plato's Timaeus (Whitehead's Process and Reality could be useful in inspiring you not to write it off) for reasoning about knowable qualities of the creator. The Argument from Motion variant of the Argument from Causality appears by itself in Laws X. Aristotle's empirical physics have an eternal geocentric cosmos, but his reasoning about the necessity of an unmoved mover that starts at the beginning of Metaphysics XII is important.

If you ever read Aquinas's Five Proofs, the first is that old Argument from Motion and the second follows the logical implications of the universe being caused rather than eternal. But the subsequet proofs are based on reasoning about being (i.e. metaphysics), opening him up to charges that he hasn't proved the First Cause to be identical with Necessary Being (third) or the Supreme Being (fourth). Much Neoplatonism was based on logically clarifying the relationship between the Supreme Being and the creator of the universe.

But what do you personally think? There's what other people believe, and personal conviction.
    A wild French philosopher appears! 

Take the following religious apology: ‘I might hope
    to come to terms with my own death, but not that of
    terrible deaths. It is terror in confronting these past deaths,
    irremediably past, not my coming end, which makes me
    believe in God. Certainly, if my disappearance, by some
    chance, should be terrible, then I shall die hoping for myself what I hope for spectres. But I myself am but a spectre in waiting. I can be Sadducean for myself, and for others, but
    I will always be Pharisean for spectres. Or again: I might
    be rigorously atheist for myself, might refuse to believe in
    immortality for myself, but I could never do so for them:
    For the idea that all justice is impossible for the innumerable
    massed spectres of the past corrodes my very core, so that
    I can no longer bear with the living. Certainly, it is they,
    the living, who need help, not the dead; but I think that
    help to the living can only proceed given some hope for
    justice for the dead. The atheist might well deny it: for my
    part if I were to renounce this, I could not live. I must hope
    for something for the dead also, or else life is vain. This
    something is another life, another chance to live – to live
    something other than that death which was theirs.’

Now take the following, atheist response: ‘You want to hope, you say, for something for the dead. Let’s look closer,then, at what you promise them. You hope for justice in the next world: but in what would this consist? It would be a justice done under the auspices off= a God who had himself allowed the worst acts to be committed, in the case of criminal deaths, or who himself had committed them,in the case of natural deaths. You call just, and even good,such a God. But what would you think of this: the promise to live eternally under the reign of a being called just and loving, who has, however, let men, women and children die in the worst circumstances, when he could have saved them without any difficulty whatsoever; who has even directly inflicted such sorrows – And even this, He says, as a mark of his infinite(and thus mysterious, unfathomable)love for the creatures he thus affects. To live under the reign of such a perverse being, who corrupts the most noble words – love, justice – with his odious practices: isn’t this a good definition of hell? You say that in the dazzling presence of such a God, I will grasp the infinitely loving nature of his attitude to his creatures? You only succeed in exacerbating the nightmare you promise: for you suppose that this being has the power to spiritually transform me in such a radical fashion as to make me love He who allows such atrocities to occur, for having let those atrocities occur. This is a promise of a spiritual death infnitely worse than a merely bodily death: in the presence of God, I will cease to love the Good, for He would have the power to make me love Evil as if it were Good. If God exists, the exit of the dead is thus aggravated to infnity: their bodily death is redoubled in their spiritual death. To this hell you wish for them, I prefer, for them as for myself, nothingness, which will leave them in peace and conserve their dignity, rather than putting them at the mercy of the omnipotence of your pitiless Demiurge.’

We can see that each of these two positions is only supported by the weakness of the other: the atheist is atheist because religion promises a fearful God; the believer anchors his faith in the refusal of a life devastated by the despair of terrible deaths. Each masks his specific despair by exhibiting his avoidance of the other’s despair. Thus the dilemma is as follows: either to despair of another life for the dead, or to despair of a God who has let such deaths take place
    -Quentin Meillassoux
  • Well, it would seem to me that, providing we suppose that the first cause is an intelligent, fully competent being (*I've currently got Timaeus open in a new tab and i'll be chewing through it for the next few days, but feel free to point me towards any passages that argue for such a being existing in favor of a non-intelligent or incompetent one*), that we would be able to gather a modicum of  knowledge about the being from the world around us. And from what I am able to observe it would seem that this hypothetical competent, intelligent universe creating being really likes empty space and huge explosions. 

Which is cool and all (*i'm not going to question the preferences of such a being*), but seems to run against the conception of a creator actively interested in humankind and its fate that one finds in most major religions.
    I'm generally of the mind that impersonal or inscrutable creators make a lot more sense than anthropomorphic ones myself. I mean, omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent are all well and good, but none of those add up to anything like a human being to me in any way.

But what do you personally think? There's what other people believe, and personal conviction.

My personal conviction is that Neoplatonism was neither logically rigorous nor scientific like the Peripatetics (who are obsoletely scientific anyway) and that Judeo-Christian authorities don't get enough credit for accepting the Platonic-Peripatetic synthesis in a minimalistic way. We need realism, and thus an Eternal Mind to be thinking non-empirical truths like the principles of math and logic. Occam's Razor suggests treating that Logos as the same as the First Cause and the Form of the Good, rather than multiplying the entities we reason ourselves into belief in. And the Form of the Good not being subordinate to another eternal entity furthermore gives me confidence that suffering for doing good is rational.
    In layman's terms?

Talk to me like I know nothing of Plato or Eastern Orthodoxy, but can grasp the interior ideas. Show me the skeleton.
  • Apparently, being white & male disqualifies you from deploring Muslim oppression of Muslim women in Britain.

This is all I will contribute.

Kexruct said:

Apparently, being white & male disqualifies you from deploring Muslim oppression of Muslim women in Britain.

This is all I will contribute

Dawkins wanted to hate muslims, then realized that would make him a racist and thus just started hating all religion.
  • Odradek said:

Kexruct said:

Apparently, being white & male disqualifies you from deploring Muslim oppression of Muslim women in Britain.

This is all I will contribute

Dawkins wanted to hate muslims, then realized that would make him a racist and thus just started hating all religion.
    that makes a disturbing amount of sense
    i don't know the context for that remark, but the sexism in some Muslim communities is pretty horrifying tbh
    ugh, never mind, then

he is just a bigot
  • Tachyon said:

i don't know the context for that remark, but the sexism in some Muslim communities is pretty horrifying tbh

it can be, but there is also quite a lot to be said for the right of women to choose how they are treated, and the community-at-large in many places (and especially amongst men and caucasians) tend to treat muslim women as if they have no agency.
  • edited 2014-01-15 01:25:43
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    maybe so, but that doesn't mean it's right to turn a blind eye to the problem of restrictive gender roles

i know nobody's pretending that misogyny is exclusive to Western culture, obviously

but i mean, in many communities, women are harrassed for not conforming; i wouldn't call that a 'choice'
  • I'm not denying that that happens, it does.

But some women conform to those roles willingly, and are within their rights to do so.

I dunno, it just bothers me when this subject comes up because I feel like a rather specific problem (forced enforcement of certain gender roles for Muslim women in parts of the middle east) is often used as a broad condemnation.

Which isn't really what you're doing, so I don't know why I'm still talking about this.
  • can't believe the way those muslim countries treat women

no fault divorce?  what a crock.  women shouldn't be allowed to divorce their husbands without a good and proper reason.
  • edited 2014-01-15 07:30:26
    Tachyon said:

ugh, never mind, then

he is just a bigot

Oh come on, did you expect Richard Dawkins to respect other people's customs?

Also, I think Western media puts too much emphasis on Islam's negative traits. I'm not denying that they're there; it's just that there's really some cognitive dissonance. Christianity has problems too and people turn a blind eye to that.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, we should commend and encourage the good (and do good ourselves) and we should take a stand against the bad (and avoid doing bad ourselves).
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It's a lot more about the way the respective cultures interpret their religions than the content of the holy texts themselves, which are never 100% unambiguous in their meaning, and which taking very literally would be a bad thing.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

It's a lot more about the way the respective cultures interpret their religions than the content of the holy texts themselves, which are never 100% unambiguous in their meaning, and which taking very literally would be a bad thing.

Serious Response:  Miko hits the nail on the head, here.

Silly Response:  What about the part about "give Miko a pie day"?  Is that just a metaphor?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :D
  • "But some women conform to those roles willingly, and are within their rights to do so."

Honestly, I don't see how this whole "women have the right to choose how they are treated" thing is even applicable to Muslims. It might be applicable to Muslim women living in non-Muslim dominated countries - and I do thing that they should be left alone - but in Muslim countries they don't have any choice to begin with. Can they just pack up and leave if they disagree with their country's customs? Certainly not.
    Then again, I am not big on cultural rights to begin with. Individuals have rights, not cultures.

" Christianity has problems too and people turn a blind eye to that."

Dawkins doesn't, obviously :)
  • Beholder said:

"But some women conform to those roles willingly, and are within their rights to do so."

Honestly, I don't see how this whole "women have the right to choose how they are treated" thing is even applicable to Muslims. It might be applicable to Muslim women living in non-Muslim dominated countries - and I do thing that they should be left alone - but in Muslim countries they don't have any choice to begin with. Can they just pack up and leave if they disagree with their country's customs? Certainly not.
    Then again, I am not big on cultural rights to begin with. Individuals have rights, not cultures. 

Yeah defs.
    Beholder said:

" Christianity has problems too and people turn a blind eye to that."

Dawkins doesn't, obviously :)

Dawkins and a lot of his "new atheism" fellows save a lot of their most hateful venom for muslims, and are known to indulge in criticisms of them that are racist/xenophobic in nature.

i will find examples sometime, but right now i am having a nice night and do not wish to put myself in a sour mood.
    What Beholder and my lover say, it is true.
  • "Dawkins and a lot of his "new atheism" fellows save a lot of their most
    hateful venom for muslims, and are known to indulge in criticisms of
    them that are racist/xenophobic in nature."

Yes, I'm not arguing with that. And yes, it is his huge problem. What I am saying is that you can hardly accuse him of turning the blind eye to the flaws of Christianity, of all things.
    You guys are a good ship. :3 I ship Yon Assassin/Sredni Vashtar.
    What a coincidence: So do we!

Oh dear, now I am imagining m'love and I living in a cave-apartment...
    Exactly!
    ^_^
  • Beholder said:

It might be applicable to Muslim women living in non-Muslim dominated countries - and I do thing that they should be left alone

that is largely what I was talking about

see:
    Kexruct said:

"hur dur I am le wite man savior of logic & freedom watch me totes pwn these oppressive backwards muslims lolololol"

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And I thought the white man's burden was considered scandalously racist these days. Good job shooting yourself in the foot again, Richard "Nice Guy" Dawkins. :P
  • edited 2014-01-17 16:40:30
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the harassment of women in European Muslim communities is a serious problem

of course this is true in Christian and secularized communities as well, and Dawkins is wrong to place undue emphasis on Islam, but the issue is not as black-and-white as i feel people are making it out to be
    OK, that is officially the best Dawkins joke.

Not the cleverest, maybe, but the best.
  • kill living beings
    i liked the spandrels paper