Richard Dawkins

edited 2014-01-10 15:57:17 in Talk

Richard Dawkins argues that the universe is uncreated because creationists read Genesis 1-2 literally, which contradicts the science of biology.

Richard Dawkins studied and taught at Oxford University.

Oxford University has a department dedicated to teaching Anglican theology.

The Anglican communion is historically a via media between Roman Catholic and Calvinist interpretations of the Bible.

The Pope and Calvin are both Augustinian.

Augustine taught that it's a scandalous error to interpret the Bible literally where doing so would be unscientific.

Therefore, Richard Dawkins seems never to have walked across campus to talk to an Oxford theologian.

I suspect this is a specific case of a general problem of contemporary people (at least WEIRD people) forming their beliefs based on what they see on the telly over interaction with the local community.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Dawkins openly admits that he has no interest in theology, on the basis that its foundations are wrong so that's all he needs to know about it
    also CP Snow, Two Cultures, etc.
  • edited 2014-01-10 16:10:36
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have met many many Christians who interpret Genesis 1 and 2 literally. So he's probably right in a lot of cases, really.
  • edited 2014-01-10 16:12:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    true enough

though it does strike me as weird how many atheists over here seem to make assumptions about British Christians based on what they know of fundamentalists in the Southern US (which is unlikely to be very much)

particularly weird when they're making these assumptions about Catholics
  • Biblical literalism is for the most part doctrinally local to the Southern US, but there's a lot of interdenominational bleed-over in culture and beliefs throughout a good part of the US.  My grandmother, for instance, is Catholic -- but she has a King James, gobbles up local Adventist tracts, and I'd wager she's a Young Earth Creationist and rapture hawk.

Also, Southern US evangelicals are spreading rapidly in Africa, where fundamentalism and tribal beliefs tend to mix in the most counterintuitive yet horrifying ways.  So it's not quite as far from Dawkins's soil as one would hope.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Tachyon said:

Dawkins openly admits that he has no interest in theology, on the basis that its foundations are wrong so that's all he needs to know about it

Oxford University has a philosophy department, where professors would probably be happy to discuss principles of logic like why begging the question is a fallcy, challenging the strongest rather than the weakest formulation of an opponent's position, etc.

Or whether realism is more compatible with the scientific enterprise than nominalism. An educated English atheist may be forgiven for not having formulated a rebuttal of, say, Taoism, but to never grapple with Plato? How recently was it that you'd have to read Plato and/or Aristotle in Attic Greek to meet the general education requirements at Oxford?

I'm reminded of Vizzini:

"I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains."
    "You're that smart?"
    "Let me put it this way: you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons."
    "Really?"

In short, "Two Cultures" has been a disaster for intellect in our culture.

i think scientists tend to be more familiar with philosophy than they credited with being

although Dawkins himself seems to have little real interest in anything outside his own discipline, although he's happy to behave as though he's an expert on everything philosophical or theological
    as for nominalism versus realism, taking a position either way is evidently not necessary in order to 'do science'

i would expect physicists and mathematicians to incline towards realism, but it doesn't necessarily follow
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    But by the same token, most European Christians are a good sight less dogmatic and literalistic than those in the United States. There are kooky evangelicals and arch-conservatives there too, sure, but there are decidedly less of them, with decidedly less influence in government.

Then again, they don't have the problems with representation that the USA has, but that's something else...
    Tachyon said:

i think scientists tend to be more familiar with philosophy than they credited with being

although Dawkins himself seems to have little real interest in anything outside his own discipline, although he's happy to behave as though he's an expert on everything philosophical or theological

And this is why Dawkins is an ass: Not because he disdains religious belief, but because he is as wilfully ignorant as many of those that he disdains.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 8.03.24 PM

THIS IS MURDER

MURDER

YOU'LL BE GUILTY

AND YOU'RE DOING IT FOR NOTHING, RICHARD

KILLING RELIGION WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMN HONEY
    sorry 'meme', but 'dundridge' is the best Dawkinsism
    Hmm. A dundridge is a jobsworth that acts like a Lawful Evil D'n'D character.

I like that.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I've talked to people who literally think that science is wrong and Earth is 6,000 years old.
  • edited 2014-01-10 17:26:33
    such people do exist
  • Miko said:

I've talked to people who literally think that science is wrong and Earth is 6,000 years old.

So have I, you don't see me pretending theology and philosophy just don't exist as disciplines.
    They exist, yes, but that does not justify people like Dawkins being prats to pretty much everyone else on the planet who says so much as "sure, why not?" to the question of deity.
  • The issue here isn't whether or not it's OK to dislike religion, the issue here is that Dawkins is awful at being what he tries to be, which is a voice for logic and reason.

I have met many fanatical, overly literalist, and otherwise just stupid Christians in my lifetime, and Dawkins' method of thinking is almost exactly the same as theirs.

They exist, yes, but that does not justify people like Dawkins being prats to pretty much everyone else on the planet who says so much as "sure, why not?" to the question of deity.

You seem to be assuming I'm defending Dawkins.

I am not defending Dawkins.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I give no fucks about Dawkins because he is a misogynist.
    he's certainly said some ignorant things about women and feminism
    among many other things
  • edited 2014-01-10 17:37:11
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^^ I was talking to Miko, although I wasn't really assuming that anyone here was defending him. Nobody here likes Richard Dawkins, so far as I can tell.
  • ^^^^ I was talking to Miko, although I wasn't really assuming that anyone here was defending him. Nobody here likes Richard Dawkins, so far as I can tell.

I think he's kind of gradually lost a lot of credibility but that may just be my own perception.

I've only ever met a single person who admired him, and said person would be a strawman if not for the fact that he wasn't fictional.
    He has. Even most hardcore anti-religious atheists seem to find him a bit annoying.
  • edited 2014-01-10 17:43:25
    Best Of admires him, or certainly did when i was on TVT

i seem to remember Jethro saying positive things about him, too
    I have heard that, and I always found it peculiar. As for Jethro, I get the feeling he's changed his mind on that...

Then again, I can say some good things about Dawkins. It's just that I can say a lot of bad things about him, too, and at this point the bad things are really starting to overshadow the good.
    i thought he seemed reasonable enough when i was 18 and had just turned atheist

i think a lot of his admirers take an interest in him even younger

when you don't know a lot about the world, a celebrated scientist saying things that you agree with is pretty encouraging
  • edited 2014-01-10 18:22:24
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Richard Dawkins is the only person whose opinions I hate more than my own.
  • Most folks I know think Richard Dawkins represents how all atheists think. I'm an atheist and that makes me sad.
  • Mr. Darcy said:

Richard Dawkins argues that the universe is uncreated because creationists read Genesis 1-2 literally, which contradicts the science of biology.

for someone complaining about misrepresentation of religious beliefs I'm pretty sure this is a massive oversimplification of Richard Dawkins' beliefs on the matter

Odradek said:

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 8.03.24 PM

THIS IS MURDER

MURDER

YOU'LL BE GUILTY

AND YOU'RE DOING IT FOR NOTHING, RICHARD

KILLING RELIGION WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAMN HONEY
    I'm kind of sympathetic to the honey thing, because dealing with airport security is pretty much the only time someone as privileged as Dawkins will ever have to deal with the police state.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I'd be more sympathetic if my wife didn't get "randomly" checked every time she goes to the airport without me or my daughter with an American passport to communicate that she's not going to blow up a plane.

• edited 2014-01-12 04:16:44
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Not only that, but...it's a jar of honey. Unless it's, like, rare honey from France or something, I don't see why he couldn't just get another one when he arrived. On top of that, it's an agricultural product, and if he were going from one country to another, he would likely have had to give it up in Customs anyway. 
  • Bin Laden had some seriously messed up priorities, wanting to separate Richard Dawkins from his honey.

^^^ god bless america -_-
  • Whenever I see that picture I wonder if that guy did get randomly selected.

I mean, he probably did, because airport security consists exclusively of racist assholes, but maybe he didn't and there is hope for the world.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    He probably did.
  • Mr. Darcy said:

for someone complaining about misrepresentation of religious beliefs I'm
    pretty sure this is a massive oversimplification of Richard Dawkins' beliefs on the matter

That's besides the general point.

^ Oh please, you guys haven't lived until the police have threatened to deport you.
  • edited 2014-01-13 05:40:50
    I got pissed at Richard Dawkins in part because my first exposure to him was his (alleged?) notion that everyone does everything because they want to get laid.

Also, I didn't know who started this thread before I clicked on it.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I got pissed at Richard Dawkins in part because my first exposure to him was his (alleged?) notion that everyone does everything because they want to get laid.

Also, I didn't know who started this thread before I clicked on it.

I don't think he believes that.
  • That sounds like an oversimplification of evopsych or the selfish gene idea.  Not that you don't find really shitty ideas in actual evopsych, and Dawkins might agree with those, but that's not quite the idea that you see people actually proposing.
  • kill living beings
    today i read something by dawkins that didn't make me groan. first time probably ever

well, skimmed
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    "Essentialism rears its ugly head in racial terminology. The majority of
    "African Americans" are of mixed race. Yet so entrenched is our
    essentialist mindset that American official forms require everyone to
    tick one race/ethnicity box or another: no room for intermediates. A
    different but also pernicious point is that a person will be called
    "African American" even if only, say, one of his eight great
    grandparents was of African descent. As Lionel Tiger put it to me, we
    have here a reprehensible "contamination metaphor". But I mainly want to
    call attention to our society's essentialist determination to dragoon a
    person into one discrete category or another. We seem ill-equipped to
    deal mentally with a continuous spectrum of intermediates. We are still
    infected with the plague of Plato's essentialism."

See, if Dawkins kept with stuff like this, and not stuff about religion, I think he'd be remembered as a pretty cool guy.
    He does single out certain fundamentalist religious ideas about life and death, but it doesn't attack all religious people with it; rather, it goes after a certain kind of thinking that can be applied to religious and non-religious people alike—including him, from time to time, ironically enough.
  • He does single out certain fundamentalist religious ideas about life and death, but it doesn't attack all religious people with it; rather, it goes after a certain kind of thinking that can be applied to religious and non-religious people alike—including him, from time to time, ironically enough.

Are you talking about the quote Aliroz posted?
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Aliroz said:

"Essentialism rears its ugly head in racial terminology. The majority of "African Americans" are of mixed race. Yet so entrenched is our essentialist mindset that American official forms require everyone to tick one race/ethnicity box or another: no room for intermediates. ... We are still infected with the plague of Plato's essentialism."

... go to Hell, Richard Dawkins. A braying little nebbish like you is unworthy to unlace Plato's pankration gloves. There is no causal relationship between Plato's theory of forms and racism, and you're "plagued" with essentialism whenever you use the number pi, you puffed-up halfwit.
    Bah, and I wanted to reply to spinor's criticisms too. Now I'll have to calm down first.
  • edited 2014-01-13 18:43:22
    Essentialism has absolutely everything to do with racism, whether you want to attribute that to Plato or not.

And while irrational constants like pi do present challenges for non-Platonist mathematics, i don't think it's right to suggest that they're intrinsically Platonic.
    Also, wow, you really like Plato, don't you?