knotty conversation about transhumanism n' nationalism n' stuff

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i realize here i'm ignoring Odradek's very valid and reasonable point
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Tachyon said:

mmm... correct me if i'm wrong but you seem to be assuming these machines are intelligent in the same way that human beings are intelligent, rather than simply very efficient at performing certain tasks they've been programmed to perform

Yes, for the sake of argument, as the term robot overlords seems to imply the whole Singularity sci-fi package.

fair point
  • Mr. Darcy said:

Tachyon said:

mmm... correct me if i'm wrong but you seem to be assuming these machines are intelligent in the same way that human beings are intelligent, rather than simply very efficient at performing certain tasks they've been programmed to perform

Yes, for the sake of argument, as the term robot overlords seems to imply the whole Singularity sci-fi package.

And the process through we understand a higher being controlling humans can only be viewed from the perspective of a human.

You even admit that advanced A.I. might have an alien of way of thinking, so I don't think it's fair to hold them to the same terms that can only be observed through our human perspectives.
  • edited 2014-01-07 11:01:38
    It strikes me as somewhat unreasonable that you'd think a society with no money where all basic necessities are attended to by robot overlords is not only ideal, but also the only acceptable kind of society.
  • Miko said:

Civilization existed for like a millennium before money was a big thing, I think. 

Nope. Money- possibly not in the form we know it, but in some form- is basically as old as civilization itself. Moreover, it seems like you're displacing the real issue here. Money isn't an inherent bad; greed is.
  • to be honest, I don't think money will be complete undone with, but I would rather hope that the standard of living is raised to the point where avarice is rewarded with superficial items, rather than just the ability to sustain yourself.
  • edited 2014-01-07 11:10:12
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ it depends how you define money, really

bartering has existed since forever

^ agreed with that
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Kexruct said:

It strikes me as somewhat unreasonable that you'd think a society with no money where all basic necessities are attended to by robot overlords is not only ideal, but also the only acceptable kind of society.

It couldn't be bad, and would certainly be better than society now, where people starve and suffer and die and get oppressed.
  • edited 2014-01-07 13:04:03
    i think it would be bad

but in any case if the only acceptable society is your ideal one, you're setting the bar pretty high
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I've never not gotten the impression that theorists of AI are thrashing around in the dark and blowing out any candles coming from sources they dislike.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Small aside: Has anybody taken into account the fact that even if we have miraculous AI and life-changing surgeries to perfect our bodies, this would still be a First World thing? It's not equal. How many people would really benefit?
    mo raised a similar point in the original Emotional Problems discussion:

the only good thing transhumanism has ever done is inspire Dresden Codak.

transhumanism is basically "I like being privileged, but I'm not privileged enough just yet."

yeah my main point is that every "end game" I've seen proposed for transhumanism seems like it would just result in taking the current class divide and just ripping it into a fissure.

It's hard to rise above your station in the best of countries now. Imagine trying to do it in a world where wealthy people are actually smarter, stronger, and generally better in most measurable ways than you instead of just thinking they are.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Small aside: Has anybody taken into account the fact that even if we have miraculous AI and life-changing surgeries to perfect our bodies, this would still be a First World thing? It's not equal. How many people would really benefit?

Everyone. This keeps getting brought up but there wouldn't be any class divisions in the new world.
    so you said

you didn't say how this was supposed to come about, though
    also stating the obvious but 'robot overlords' are in a position of obvious privilege
    The robot overlords are non-human so they have no desire for greed, only the order for which they were programmed.
    then surely the real overlords are the engineers responsible?
    The robot overlords eliminate class by overhauling the infrastructure and redistributing wealth and resources. This means significant losses for only the richest 0.1% of the population or so, which alone would provide so many people with food and comfort.
    Tachyon said:

then surely the real overlords are the engineers responsible?

Well, that is where I come in. ^_^ I shall program the robot overlords and then resume my humble Touhou playing.
    making you absolute dictator

i see

so this is a fantasy
    I wouldn't be a dictator, just the creator of machines who change the world to reflect my ideals.
  • So dictator by proxy.
    Dictators hurt and kill people.
    question

suppose someone tries to overthrow the robots by force

what happens?
  • edited 2014-01-07 17:13:41
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The problem with any system predicated upon the judgements of a single individual or group of individuals is that such systems are predicated upon limited knowledge and viewpoints. People are imperfect, so they cannot create perfection. Attempting to approach equity is noble, but oligarchy and especially autocracy are the worst ways to do it.
  • edited 2014-01-07 17:13:03
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ They fail. They are kicked out of society for a period of time. Since all humans are unable to reproduce in this society, there wouldn't come to be an "outside" civilization.
    Perhaps my robot overlords would be designed with other people with similar views as well.
    why do they fail?  who kicks them out, and what are the consequences supposing they refuse to leave?
    also

>since all humans are unable to reproduce

this is sounding more horrific by the minute
  • edited 2014-01-07 17:15:59
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ They fail because the overlords are too strong. The rebels are removed by force and incapable of resisting because they are humans and the rulers are machines.
    ^^ The overlords create humans, and do so in such a way that people don't have imperfections.
  • Tachyon why are you engaging this conversation?
  • How grotesque.
  • edited 2014-01-07 17:17:34
    because i literally do not know when to stop talking
    This seems like an intrinsically terribly flawed utopia, and a fairly boring one at that: Everyone thinking alike means that there's no-one else to talk to with new information, and who wants that but an absolute egotist—and what right-minded supreme egotist would want to be lorded over by someone else's ideals, even if they share them?
    It can't be worse than the nightmares that exist in this world.
    ^^ hmm i dunno :o
    See! This is why I don't like utopias: They require "ideal people," and "ideal people" are hideously boring.
    I like to think that we could have a lot more fun because we wouldn't have as many problems and the issues we would be dealing with would be grander things that affect the species.
    like how to deal with our species-wide takeover by all-powerful robot eugenicists
  • Tachyon said:

like how to deal with our species-wide takeover by all-powerful robot eugenicists

Eugenics isn't a bad thing if there aren't imperfect humans being born and no one is getting killed.
    But then what about everyone that already exists?

These things only work hypothetically.
    The imperfect people, such as myself, die out from old age. ^_^
    Miko said:

Eugenics isn't a bad thing if there aren't imperfect humans being born and no one is getting killed.

no u
    you know eugenics has been implemented in America in the past

the aim wasn't to kill people, just to sterilize people who were deemed undesirable for the gene pool

so Miko

in your ideal robot utopia, who gets to say what constitutes an imperfection, and what gives you or any form of government the right to say what people can be brought into this world?

answer me this however you will, and i will drop the subject and be done
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Miko said:

Humans did fine without money until like 5,000 years ago.

Yes but that is because 5,000 years ago is roughly the dawn of civilization.

We could totally eliminate money if we were willing to return to a hunter-gatherer society where only the physically strongest survive and what we would consider horrible atrocities are far more commonplace than they are now, but I feel that most people are not okay with such a thing (myself included).
    To be pedantic, it's more like 6000 years ago.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Miko said:

You forgot "or sterilized"

and you forgot to define "imperfection" and whether we would, say, cure those who are intellectually disabled by somehow making it so that their minds can function on the typical level like so-called "average" people; or via abortion in the womb.  Because there's a big goshadarn difference.  It's like the difference between giving sight to the blind, and removing the blind.
This discussion has been closed.