Photos of mundane things

1151617181921»

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's time for another installment of Window Shopping with Central Avenue.

Here's one of my favorite Random Junk stores, Ollie's Bargain Outlet.

Their shopping carts are branded for Northern Tool and Equipment, a chain that doesn't even operate in this state. Heh.

Still adjusting to the my new phone's finicky camera, but...here's a giant inflatable turkey. I like it.

It wouldn't be a 2010s discount store without massive quantities of bulk K-cup boxes.

$1.99 DVD cart. I don't know why, but this amused me.

See anything in there you'd wanna watch? :P

You know, of all the stores of this type, I think Ollie's has the largest book section I've seen.

It's October in Ohio, so every store must have approximately 600,000 electric heaters for sale.

Free coffee! I tried some. It was...OK. Better than I was expecting.

Looking back up the main aisle, to give you a sense of how cheesily this place is decorated.

This is a nice selection of clocks, but I noticed something odd...aside from two or so designs, all of the roman numeral clocks use IV instead of IIII, which is unusual.

Plenty o' lamps, not that I need any new ones.

Flashlights! I love flashlights! I have been known to impulse-buy flashlights just for fun in the past, but nothing here particularly stood out to me as gotta-have.

One of the Centiest things you'll ever see: Disney Fairies Mastermind. I love Mastermind! My mom always had Tannith and I play the regular version because we were her Freaky Genius Children.

According to Santa, Christmas falls on...January 31st. I'm starting to think this might not be the real Santa, you guys.

Nick Wilde. Actually, Ollie's always has a lot of Disney toys. Is this where Disney ships their unsold merch??

Another bad photo, but...PONY! I always love seeing "EXCLUSIVELY AT TARGET" items being sold at other stores.

Now this is just kinda...sad. 2015 and 2016 "Birthday Wishes" Barbies. They're still perfectly good dolls, and in fact I quite like their dresses, but who's going to buy commemorative birthday Barbies for years gone by? You just gotta hope the kid won't notice, I guess.

Incidentally, while I was taking that photo, an employee came up to me. I thought she was going to reprimand me for snapping photos in the store, but she actually just needed me to move so she could grab some Barbies off the shelf. In fact, she told me taking photos in the store is totally OK, which was cool.

That's all for Ollie's. Onto the next store: Roses...again.

This Roses is at SR 161 and Karl Road. Like the Whitehall location, it occupies a former Big Bear Plus, though this building is much newer, with Big Bear moving here from an adjacent building in the mid-late-'90s.

I walk in and...wow, this place actually still kinda looks like a '90s Big Bear store. The shelves and fixtures are all different, of course, as is the signage, but the look of the ceilings and everything? That's original Big Bear right there.

It's actually kind of weird to see an old Big Bear like this, because it's divided into a lot of lower sections instead of the tall, linear aisles of a grocery store. It's neat.

"Continental" brand coffee makers. I wouldn't expect much for $9.99, but I guess if you need your caffeine fix...

Christmas cardinal!! 🐦

The obligatory 600,000 electric heaters.

It's almost Halloween, so as far as retailers are concerned, the Christmas season is in full swing!

This is the funniest thing I've seen all week: knockoff board games.

I also spotted these 256-in-1 LCD games. I played one for a minute or so to see what it was like. It's Tetris. I don't know how you get 255 other games on an LCD designed for Tetris, but...at least the Tetris game seemed to work fine?

👸 👸 👸

Do you miss the Golden Oak Library? Well, fear not, for this commemorative replica can be yours for only $11.99!

Flashlights again. Again, nothing in particular stood out to me as an impulse buy today.

Finally...clocks! I think I'm going to ask for that pink one for Christmas this year. 🕙
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    A few shots from today's walk:

These signs point to the "St. Philip Catholic Church and Elementary School", even though the church no longer operates the elementary school and the building is now occupied by a secular charter school.

Resch's Bakery and White's Pharmacy, two local businesses I'm glad are still around despite all that's happened since this neighborhood was developed in the '50s and '60s.

Finally, one of the stranger Wendy's I've seen. It has a drive-thru and a walk-up window for carryout orders...but no dining room.

"Drive-thru only", the sign proclaims.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That sign, what happened to it?
    Which sign?
    the church one
    It's just really really old and the retroreflective sheeting has started to crack and peel with age.
    A few shots from The Mall at Tuttle Crossing today.

Upper level entrance.

A back corridor near the food court.

A door in said corridor.

Food court.

Main elevators.

Food Court signage.
    Stretched-out Trebuchet?
    Is that what that is?
    Yeah
  • I should go to Gwinnett Place Mall and take some pictures to post here at some point.
    Yes please!

Yes please!

• edited 2017-11-10 19:40:43
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anyone wanna see the now-shuttered Kmart store where Centie's parents first met some 30 years ago? Of course you do!

Kroger and Family Dollar in the same shopping center are still operating.

The former auto center.

At one point a used tire store was operating out of the auto center, even while the rest of Kmart was still open. Needless to say, it's gone now.

What would a vacant building be without extremely pointless vandalism? Seriously, it's not like you could fit through that window, someone just wanted to be a jerk.

I think this would have, at one point, been the garden center.

A couple more shots from back around the front.
    How long has that Kmart been closed?
    I think it closed in 2012.
    Also, truck drivers like to park overnight in the parking lot since it's not being used for anything else:
    Oh yeah they do!
    Abandoned building #1

Grant Avenue road closure

Abandoned building #2
    My childhood... 😢