Photos of mundane things

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that's cute!

moving this 2 the new page
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    trains are cool
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    this thread is actually like super interesting to me culturally 

mundane stuff is neat
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Pretty!!
    train stations are cool
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think that's a mournful picture
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    always something sad about train stations
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Reminds me of the train station in Manassas...which is an old Southern Railway station from the early 1900s that was renovated and converted into a waiting room and a small railroad museum in the 1990s. 

It's an interesting contrast with Woodbridge, which lost its RF&P station some time ago and had a station purpose-built for VRE and Amtrak.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Temporary bus stop sign

I was amused that it's held to the post with zip ties

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    OSU's logo looks so important
    You think so?
    Yes
    Awesome!

(")>
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Something I noticed about Safeway's own-brand stuff recently:

Hey, where did the Safeway logo go?
    Anonus and I took the A train!

A few highlights...

The train itself:

A worker covering his ears as the train horn sounds:

Denver Union Station:
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    A bike and a shirt at an artsy angle. 

An album full of photos from the State Route 3 / Schrock Road reconstruction project in Westerville, Ohio.

Some highlights:

Lane closure on SR 3.

A weird little sign, with a date written in black tape.

"ROUGH ROAD AHEAD". Not a metaphor.

Looking west on Schrock Road.
    Qwest?
    Haha, I posted that in your thread actually! I knew you'd like that one.

It's in the lawn in front of a building with an AT&T sign. Go figure.
    I suppose this isn't exactly "mundane", but here's some photos I snapped this morning of what's left of the US 40 Domino's after a natural gas explosion on Wednesday, December 21st

Thankfully the building and surrounding area had already been evacuated by the time the explosion happened. The only injury, as far as I know, was someone who tripped while running from the scene.
    RIP Domino's.
  • edited 2017-08-28 13:14:47
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    As I promised Anonus, here's some photos I snapped of the Grand Reading Room at Thompson Library.

imageimage

Honestly probably my favorite quiet study space on campus solely because of how beautiful it is.
    library :D
    Does the Imicow's Royal Library have a room like this? :o
    yeah, it's twice as big though.
    I went to Dollar General today and decided I may as well test out the camera on my new phone. Here's the results.

It's better than the camera on my Galaxy S III, but—quite expectedly—not as nice as the camera on the Galaxy S7 Edge.
    tationery
  • edited 2017-10-07 18:58:34
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Mostly out of boredom, I decided to go snap some pictures of the local Roses Discount Store in Whitehall.

I had a couple photos from when it opened back in 2011 but I'd never documented it extensively like I have with other local stores, so here we go!

As a side note, these photos were shot with my new Galaxy J7 smartphone. Its camera passes my biggest test, which is "can I take photos in a decently-lit indoor environment without blur?"

Store exterior. This location occupies, eh, about 2/3 of the former Whitehall Big Bear Plus store.

The front portion of the store still has the weird fake skylights that Big Bear liked to put above their checkouts.

Chubby Princess Alice's favorite aisle.

Checkouts.

Electronics section.

A tiny "plug and play" TV game I spotted in the elections section. It claims to have 220 built-in games. I'm 99% sure this is just a Nintendo-on-a-chip system with some crappy pirate roms thrown on.

I was curious about it, but...y'know. Not $13 curious.

This just amused me.

Another "plug and play" game console, this time with a faux-arcade-style controller. I don't know that I'd want to play NES games with that for very long.

You can get USB power banks for $2 now. I don't know that I would trust them with my phone, but they're probably OK if you have, like, USB-powered lamps (yes, those exist) that you want to run while your power's out? That's kind of a stretch, admittedly.

Now onto...toys!

This electronic police car is trying way too hard to look cool, but...admittedly, I would have loved this as a kid.

It's still kind of weird to me that Equestria Girls is apparently popular enough to inspire knockoffs. Here's Roses' Pony Angels line.

Some of these dolls actually look decent...though I imagine the build quality is, well...poor. Maybe someday I'll buy one and see, but not today.

This little dollhouse doesn't seem so bad as far as cheapo toys go, but it doesn't come with any dolls, and I don't know what dolls would be the right scale to play with it.

What would a retail toy section be without the obligatory Wall O' Cheap Junk?

🐶

One of many signs in this style hanging throughout the store.

Housewares section.

The pinkest, shiniest clock! I was tempted, but after my most recent clock acquisition, I don't have much wall space for more clocks right now.

Furniture and flooring section.

That's a lot of chairs. Those white ones seem to never go out of style; my family had them in the mid-90s and they still seem to be sold almost everywhere.
    "...with a faux-arcade-style controller. I don't know that I'd want to play NES games with that for very long."

clearly not a fan of the NES Advantage
  • edited 2017-10-08 01:38:54
    The NES Advantage is great, but...look at the size of the thing in my photograph. It's so tiny; my hands would never be able to play with that comfortably.

...look at the size of the thing in my photograph. It's so tiny; my hands would never be able to play with that comfortably.

this is not a comment to be taken out of context, mind you
    too late
    lots of impact
    On really flimsy signs. I love how cheap and tacky it all is.
    lots of impact, and yet so little.
    I present to you: Columbus, Ohio's Eastland Mall...or what's left of it at least.

The mall is clearly in its death throes. All its anchor stores sit vacant, many of its other storefronts are vacant, and most damning...there's just nobody here. I shot these photos on a Sunday afternoon, but you'll notice a distinct lack of weekend shoppers.

One of two vacant Macy's stores. This one is not an original anchor store, but was added during a mall expansion in the early 2000s as Kaufmann's.

Interior entrance to the vacant Macy's/Kaufmann's.

Mall directory. Seeing all four anchor stores blank drives home the bleak nature of the place.

Even the Food Court is depressingly empty. A mall that can't even sustain its own food court isn't going to last long.

This storefront is immediately recognizable even while it's vacant. Do you know what it was? (Answer: Auntie Anne's)

Former JCPenney, an original anchor. The building is three stories but by the time the store closed, only the lower two stories were in use.

Interior entrance of the former JCPenney.

Even some of the annoying mall kiosks are vacant, which is really sad. Just look how few people are actually walking around this shopping mall on a Sunday afternoon.

Akiba Arcade, or as my siblings call it, "the weeb arcade." This actually opened very recently, and I think it occupies the former Victoria's Secret.

The other former Macy's. This one was originally Lazarus. The Lazarus chain actually started here in Columbus, then grew large enough to buy Macy's and assume their brand name. It's...complicated.

Interior entrance of the former Macy's/Lazarus. Of the four anchor stores, this one's been vacant the longest, with Macy's having moved into the Kaufmann's location after Macy's acquired the Kaufmann's chain. I do seem to recall this store having been used by a charter school at one point, but it's vacant again now.

Former Sears. This was the last of the department stores to close, and has only been vacant a few months. Like Lazarus and JCPenney, this was one of Eastland Mall's original anchor stores.

Interior entrance to the vacant Sears. The Sears building is actually two or three stories, but as long as I can remember, only the first floor was actually open for business. In retrospect, it's kind of surprising Sears managed to last till 2017 here with that kind of operation.

Even the jewelry stores are gone. You ever notice how jewelry stores in malls are almost always on the corners? What's up with that, anyways?

Finally, this huge skylight is in the center of the mall, in front of the former JCPenney. I wanted to take a photo of it because, well...if this place is going to be gone in a few years, I want to know someone captured it on film. (I know, I know, I used a cameraphone, but "captured it on JPEG" doesn't sound as poetic.)
    I don't remember going by the food court when I was there...
    We were near the food court—it's right next to Lids—but I don't think we went into the food court.
    another shrine of capitalism bites the dust
    Some pictures I snapped today at Big Lots, just for fun.

Highlights:

Store entrance.

Christmastime is here! (At least as far as retail is concerned.)

This would have actually have been nice to have when our power kept going out over the summer.

With Christmas in full swing, Halloween has been relegated to the Clearance section.

"Pantry" signage.

Loads of K-cups.
    k-cups and la croix: all you need to keep a workplace running, from what i've heard
    loads of k-cups
    You would.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh I just got it.

Silly.
  • Foolish.

My room's a mess. (🎵 I won't admit to it... 🎵)

Some CDs I played on Whatever Works today.

>Raising Cane's

You have good taste in chicken tenders.

>Raising Cane's

You have good taste in chicken tenders.