hahaha fuck you TVTropes

Comments

• edited 2011-10-23 04:45:32
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I'm not convinced this is the worst dramasplosion the site has had.  Too early to tell.

I remember the Great Crash.  I'd only just Gotten Known at that time.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It seems like it, though.
  • I launched my first trope right before the crash. ._.

I don't think this really compares to the deletion of IJBM, but I may be missing its true scope. (Which I almost just typed as "trope".)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:48:03
    What about the death of Rape The Dog?  Or "Hacked by Killer Hack"?

IJBM was a bigger on-site shitstorm, but no other sites were involved.  If you can call SA involved when all they really did was stand on the sidelines and snark.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I just Googled "dramasplosion" and came up with a picture of Aahz somehow.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I ended up closing all my TVT tabs for the night.

Now my browser looks/feels strangely empty.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:48:53
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Did anyone get banned over IJBM? I'm sure some people left, but that's not quite the same thing.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    snowbull.
  • >________< This is all too confusing!! squiddleTron does not know what to do now! Is the Trash Heap still the best place?

shooooooosh *pap*

I Yellalot apparently freaked out and got Google-bounced, off the top of my head.
    Oh, yeah, him too, but hardly anybody liked him anyway so there was little in the way of fallout.

All the ugliest and most awkward drama has come out of YF, and mostly didn't involve the wiki or its administration in any major capacity.
    YF drama tends to strike me as more interpersonal than that coming from IJBM or OTC.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:55:43
    ^^ Hence why it tends to be uglier and more awkward.

I remember back when TRS had the reputation for being the worst board.
  • edited 2011-10-23 05:03:25

Was snowbull a reasonable troper with a presence that was missed?

'Cause I don't think many-a-tear was shed for the other troper just mentioned.

I remember said troper's debating style: 

(This was literally a picture posted in response to another post disagreeing with a statement from said troper) That certainly will NOT be showing up on an illistrated version of How to get Friends and Influence People.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:58:18
    snowbull was kind of funny and basically harmless.

He could be a little blunt or sarcastic at times, but he was a nice guy.  I miss him, a bit.
    snowbull was pretty inoffensive. He did make a memorable thread about rectal prolapse, at the height of IJBM's toilet phase.
    I don't think he was really any cruder than the rest of IJBM.
    I know, but for some reason that sticks out to me.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...You know, in a way the hype surrounding the deletion of IJBM made me feel a lot like I do with this recent drama, but at least with IJBM I had the chance to make a fool of myself for a week or two to take the edge off.

(This is probably a dumb thing to say)
    ^^ Well I'd imagine prolapses would tend to stick out.

^ It's a different situation.  That was a big thing that affected a lot of people.  This is a tiny thing that's just been blown more and more out of proportion.
  • edited 2011-10-23 05:06:52

IJBM we had plenty of warning over though, so you have a point regardless of if you meant to have one.

This was way out of the blue.

^ I think it's the banning more than anything. It's one thing to not want to deal with drama from another site, but when one is causing drama by banning people who don't like how things are being handled, it comes off as rather childish and totalitarian at the same time.
    Even then I found it weird that I wasn't completely against IJBM's shutdown. I liked it, but I understood where Eddie was coming from.
    I do stand by the reason behind IJBM's deletion, I'm afraid.  It had gotten to the point where even the average IJBM thread was clearly at odds with what Eddie was comfortable hosting, and the percentage of mod workload it was making up was getting downright stupid.

Justice, I see what you mean, but to my mind this didn't start with the ban.  The ban was the point where it got way out of hand.
    It's okay. That was 9 months ago, and anyone who misses it has probably moved on from resentment/to IJBM2.
    IJBM2 cured all my remaining nostalgia for IJBM.
  • IJBM banned me, they can't be all that bad.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually found TV Tropes a few months after the Great Crash, after I found a link to it on /co/ or /tv/ (I forget which). And yeah, the forums seem like they were way nicer back in 2009 when I first started posting; YF in general and the Heap in particular are still pretty nice, but I know the Insecurity thread has gotten nastier (brusquely telling people, in so many words, "go find a therapist and stop fucking bothering us" in many cases), and OTC would be fine if it wasn't for the Spotlight Stealing Squad that lurks there and ruins pretty much every thread. 

Also: I Yellalot was pretty much like Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down; he was going to snap, it was just a question of when.
  • I am staying at TVTropes unless the site goes down or I somehow get 8anned (though I'm not sure why that would happen or why I have paranoia about it in the first place; me getting 8anned I mean) even if I 8asically stick to a few Yack Fest threads, a couple roleplays and the rel8d threads, the MSPA thread (where I lurk more than I post) and sometimes Forum Games. And I'll admit I lurk the Edit 8anned thread, partly out of weird curiosity and partly to 8e sure I don't repeat a mistake that's gotten some8ody 8anned.

I just hope that people I like don't end up 8anned over this. (The person who was 8anned so far was someone cool 8ut not someone I talked to a lot so it was sad 8ut not as sad as if it had 8een one of the people I enjoy talking to a lot or something.)

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Well, it sounds like this'll get cleared up.

Maybe.

Eventually.

She's back now.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    DARN IT EDDIE YOU'VE MADE ME A CASSANDRA
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    but I know the Insecurity thread has gotten nastier (brusquely telling people, in so many words, "go find a therapist and stop fucking bothering us" in many cases)

It's blunt but true. That is more helpful.
    ^^^That's good.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

this thread has gotten huge -reads thread-

Uh oh.

You're worried bad things are going to happen again?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Pretty much, yeah.

Seems things are more or less back to normal or going back to normal now that bans are being lifted and tempers cooling down.

After hearing the complete story, I'm a tad less upset about the whole ordeal. 

FE is tired of SA BS which includes LOLing at posts and threads the goons think are hilariously bad. I really don't feel bad about the idea they can't do that anymore. Anne apparently thought differently, got upset, and got banned because FE thought she was a troll from SA and not a regular.

I never go to read her posts, but she's apparently been temp banned from IJBM for importing drama, making me wonder if she didn't react as civilly as she could of.

But, she's back now, obviously still upset but back and seems to at least understand why she was also banned from IJBM.

All and all, the idea that there's a troper or multiple tropers or even another online community that gets it's rocks off on finding things other people post on web-forums just to ridicule them is pretty shady. That FE felt he should and could "shut that shit down" in this case is not something I'm at all upset about. 

The part where tropers can't really discuss it is probably a much worse aspect of it and I think that's where a lot of this drama started. Obviously, mistakes and bans made things worse, but at least those can and have been fixed it seems.

Maybe we should move this thread to "talk" and give it a less vindictive title? We've been having a pretty good serious discussion on this for a while now.

• KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    Actually, all links from SA to TVTropes were totally made to redirect to Something Awful, no matter their context. And there is one thread filled with maybe 15 people making fun of TVTropes, not all 15,000 goons. And they're making fun of racists and pedophiles and morons, not the more normal people. 

I didn't think it was a site-wide phenomenon, but it's still not something that's considered "good form" 

I do wonder if it's possible to bounce the forum and not the entire site though. Seems like doing articles as well would hurt traffic into the site.
    ^^^I was considering renaming it from early on. (It is a snowclone of another thread by the same person, but still.)
    All and all, the idea that there's a troper or multiple tropers or even another online community that gets it's rocks off on finding things other people post on web-forums just to ridicule them is pretty shady. That FE felt he should and could "shut that shit down" in this case is not something I'm at all upset about.
    The main thing that bugs me about that is that, well, he can't shut that down. What other people do on another site is out of his control. Bouncing the links creates only a minor inconvenience at best, which makes it seem like little more than attempt to give the goons the middle finger.
  • edited 2011-10-23 22:21:24

I'd imagine stopping the ability to link directly would have a bit of an impact on what gets talked about considering the effort that would then need to go into something like making fun of a thread.

You could potentially copy paste a post, but then you'd have to do it for replies, etc...

Now it probably won't stop it completely, but it'll at least mitigate it. 

And besides, when a site is basically laughing at the expense of another site, isn't giving it the "middle finger" sort of the appropriate response?
  • So i'm a little confused what's wrong with linking to TVT or was it SA that wasn't supposed to be linked to? what Kind of asinine behavior can the administration get away with now?
    Eddie made it so links to TVT's forum from SA's redirected back to them. He also began scrubbing references to them from wiki pages, and has already been deleting forum threads to do with them.

annebeeche questioned this, got banned over it, and this started a big uproar. She got unbanned, and things seem calmer.
  • What the fuck is going through that mans head? First IJBM, Now This? It's insane. It seems like something Schlafely would try and pull if he ran the site. WMG: Fast Eddie is missing and was replaced by Schlafley.