hahaha fuck you TVTropes

KJIKJI
edited 2011-10-22 21:28:52 in General
Good to see the mods know how to handle even the least bit of criticism respectfully

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I saw that.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Yeah, that was messed up. And it wasn't even criticism.
    I'm assuming Anonus will never lead like that.
    I'll try not to.
    Do I need to bust out the Yoda quotes?
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Link is broken.
  • edited 2011-10-22 22:14:01
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That's the point.

It was a thread about TVT blocking links to their forum coming from SA that got nuked out of nowhere.
    I kind of worry this will turn into something worse. There's already been a perma-ban over the reaction to this.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My worry is that the site is simply in danger of being shut down. I remember when YiffNet was shut down years ago under similar circumstances, specifically The Complainer Is Always Wrong and Strawman Has A Point -- the main admin just pulled the plug and replaced the website with a mopey, whiny song about The Good Old Days.
    I keep wondering if that will happen.

...what was "YiffNet"?
  • edited 2011-10-23 00:20:25
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It was a furry-oriented IRC network, and the issue that came up was the mods' unwillingness to do much about a troll called Sibe, who delighted in passing around paywalled furry art to the chagrin of the authors. It sounds eerily familiar, honestly.

It's also worth noting that the furry fandom in general had a similar tiff with SA long ago, and for many of the same reasons, and neither side reacted with much in the way of tact (the SA contingent inspired Burn The Witch-type crap like the Burned Furs and CrushYiffDestroy, while the furries had apologists like Xydexx who were pretty much unwilling to compromise, and honestly sounded a lot like FE does now).
    ...I have heard of several of those things.

I hope something like this doesn't happen with TVT.
    MeToo. If for no other reason than "I seriously doubt FE will let anyne have the MySQL dumps".
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I feel bad. I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm not disinterested in TVT. I still cruise the wiki pretty regularly.
    It's okay to feel differently, Imi.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Cool. I won't get banned
    I like cruising the wiki myself, despite not being as active an editor as I used to be. Which is why I'm concerned he'll simply "shut this shit down" and forget it existed, rather than either step down or step aside.
  • edited 2011-10-23 00:38:05
    Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    For that.

Darn it Lee type slower.
    And it looks like this will not end well.

As in "TV Tropes is likely to be raided" not-ending-well. Maybe "net stop Apache2.2" is in the cards, after all. :P
    I saw that.

This situation upsets me. I hate seeing stupid things happen there.
    (And if anyone asks, if the blurb at the bottom of the Microsoft Windows page there is correct, that would be the command FE would use to take the site offline. I use it at work all the time because one of our products uses Apache 2.2 on Windows.)
    I thought he would just lock every page and thread if that happened.

I'm not very computer-savvy.
    Nah, just shutting down the Web server is quicker and easier. Then again, I have no intimate knowledge of PmWiki or what modifications FE's made to it, so locking down the whole site without stopping Apache may be as simple as an SQL query or a line in a config file.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I wouldn't bet on it.  From what I can gather, to say TV Tropes was a kludge job would be like saying the ocean was a little damp.  Any given adjustment, big or small, could take a matter of minutes or days, no way of telling.
    Indeed. I have half-baked research projects at work that are probably less messy.
    The number of/certain security holes in the site worry me.

Like the account deletion thing.
  • edited 2011-10-23 03:57:21
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    *Pretending as if a post from Anonus was posted here and not another thread*

Eh, I've come close to feeling I should leave if the debating gets pretty stupid...which it sometimes does.

I'm hoping this blows over and certain people who probably didn't deserve to being banned get let back on...

I'm assuming Anne didn't call anyone a "fascist cum-bucket" at this point...I might rethink my position if more evidence comes to light. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Anne did not call anyone a fascist cum-bucket, at least not on TV Tropes.
    ^^I hope that happens too.
  • I left TVTropes because I found it unwelcoming to newbs and very cliquey.  I had people talk to me as if (and literally at one point) to say "who the fuck are you?".  And a few direct insults which were ignored possibly because they were by long time posters, there's nothing you can really do when a mod does it to you either.  I wouldn't let anyone speak to me like that in person and I'm not going to start on the net.  It's a shame though because there were also some really lovely people there and some very interesting thread topics.
    I've always found the forum culture unaccommodating to newbies, somehow.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

To be fair about the mod thing, Fighteer has seemingly recognized he can get pretty pissy during some debates. He's at least apologized to me when I straight up said I refused to read or respond to anything he had said after a response.

Some of the "regulars" certainly aren't afraid to go from zero to insufferable in a single post, though. 
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:09:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ It's a real shame, because when I signed up back in 2008, on the original phpBB forum, I was struck by how welcoming it was, and I wasn't the only one who remarked on that.  I'm not sure quite what happened.
    Insularity developed, probably.

Even I generally wonder why I make new threads within the first few posts of making them. 

It's like the default response of most tropers is not "Huh, I never noticed that before." or "That sounds like a fun topic." and more "Fuck you, that's dumb and you're dumb for suggesting it." 

Well, in Yack Fest anyways. 
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:21:00
    ^^ Well, that much is evident, but it's still a real pity.

And that's a culture problem, definitely not something I can think of an easy fix for.

^ In YF?  I guess I'm out of touch; I didn't think it was that bad.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm considering leaving, but I think I'm too attached to some of the people there and it doesn't seem fair to leave my friends just because Eddie is pissing me off.
    I'm not sure how attached to people there I am.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:24:52
    Half the people I'm most attached to seem to be leaving.

Wait, no, a lot of them have already left, or else mostly hang out in #yackfest or IJBM.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, as pathetic as it may sound, the people in the LGBT thread have been a great help to me in dealing with my transgenderism, and Inane and Deathonabun were among the first people I considered friends. (Along with you, of course.)
    You don't have too many others in your life, CA. I don't think it sounds pathetic.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:30:21

I think it's fine to have attachments. It's understandable considering how long many of us have been there.

Hence why it's natural we want this to "blow over" and not be all Orwellian about what happened. 
    I want it to blow over too.

I'm not happy that it led to what might be the biggest drama-splosion in the site's history.

Yeah, hardware problems that claim data is one thing, but the site owner throwing a fit and dealing with stuff by "wishing it into the corn field" isn't something you fix with elbow grease and man-grit. 
    ...what hardware problems?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think the Trash Heap is one of the friendlier threads, even if I dislike it at times. It has some people I dislike, though I won't name them here.
  • edited 2011-10-23 04:44:42

"...what hardware problems?"

There was a "great crash" that was before my or your time (I believe) where all the pages went away and had to be rewritten or found on cached internet sites, etc... 
    I figured there were more than that.