Dan Vs. Heaper's Hangout

edited 2013-09-28 00:04:09 in General Media
Heaper's Hangoooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuut

*Ahem*

I've been wanting to post on this for a while and since it seems there's a few fans, I figured it warranted it's own thread.

Friday and I have watched the first season and about half of the second. My initial expectation was that it was going to be about an ineffectual misanthrope seeking revenge against various things. I was mostly right, only "ineffectual" needs to be removed from the list.

This brings me to one of the many reasons Friday and I like the series so much. It's incredibly unpredictable. While it follows a fairly straight-forward pattern of "Something makes Dan angry, Dan spends the episode seeking revenge", how his revenge plays out is often surprising and sometimes Dan's wild, outlandish theories turn out to be correct (in fact, it was pretty much guaranteed any crazy thing Dan said would turn out to be true for about the first half of season one).

The unpredictability and dark humor have given me some of the biggest laughs I've had from a TV show in years, usually after I spend a few seconds gaping at the screen trying to process what I just saw or heard.

One thing I found interesting was Dan's, Elise's, and Chris's relationship with each other. 

At first Chris seems crazy to even HAVE a friend like Dan in his life and Elise seems crazier for letting him or even encouraging him to go on these often dangerous and illegal revenge schemes.

Eventually, things focus a bit more and it's clear that Chris doesn't really have any other friends, or indeed any particularly interesting traits except for being a huge pushover. Which means he's sort of stuck with Dan. We also learn much about Elise establishing why she's probably a bit more tolerant of Dan and ALSO that she's prone to taking advantage of Chris.

This has lead to few uncomfortable kick the dog moments for me where either Dan, Elise, or BOTH push things a little far, but th's pretty much my only gripe in an otherwise incredibly great cartoon.

Fingers crossed that we at least get another half season.

Comments