This logo is UGLY.

2»

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^ braggart
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    That figure in the middle...

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Damn, I already knew Cuccinelli was a dick, but come on, this is just petty.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i can't stand the way the articles on the NBC O&Os' sites are written

they come off like they're trying too hard to be hip
    They do, but Ken Cuccinelli is still a horrible person that needs to be removed from his current job as soon as is humanly possible.
  • i googled him and the first image of him

i do not care how terrible of a person he is that is beautiful
    He's a hardline super-fundie that loves death and making gay people cry.

No, really.
  • edited 2013-03-05 12:18:29

wow he'sgood

i'm already crying

with laughter
    Indeed. The only downside to how ridiculous he is is that he has actual power. Were he, say, running for something, à la the late, great Carl Palladino, I wouldn't be half as disgusted by him, but he's the god-damned Virginia Attorney General. Just... Virginia, sometimes you suck.
    This logo bothers me. It's probably the N in "children's". It just doesn't fit because of the font. In fact, pretty much everything about this logo is ruined by the fact that it doesn't actually tell you anything and has pitiful font choices.
    The "N" is totally out of place there; more disarmingly, if you look closely at the "Indianapolis," you can see that it's part of the font/typeface itself...
    It is. The "N" in the lighter weights of Futura is like that. The pointy apexes in its lighter weights disappear in the heavier ones.

I don't know why the pointy apexes' overshoot is so obvious, considering how calculated Futura is; apexes like that have to have overshoot due to optical illusions, or they won't look like they're on par with horizontal lines. The same is true of curves.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Futura's N's always looked like they could be used as murder weapons to me.

Also, as long as we're bitching about Futura, I must mention: a j is not just a taller i, guys.
    You know that glyph used to annoy me to no end (especially upon learning of a more conventional j being considered)

But I realized its true cleverness on one of the occasions that I read a word containing it without really noticing it
    You know what I always found funny? For decades, Sesame Street used Futura as their go-to typeface for teaching the alphabet...but they modified a handful of the characters to give them a more conservative appearance.

Note the serifs on I, the tail on j, and the completely modified 4. Sometimes they gave q a tail as well.
  • That new logo is suck compared to the old one.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Might just be me, but the diagonal on that N also looks strange to me, like it ought to be just a wee bit narrower.
    Anonus said:

But I realized its true cleverness on one of the occasions that I read a word containing it without really noticing it

Is it weird that i'm like this with just about every normal serif or sans-serif typeface?  Most letterforms that look odd in isolation don't really stand out to me or bother me when used in context.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It looks a bit like the Zaner-Bloser handwriting sans-serif, which is also a Futura derivative.
    Hahaha Zaner-Bloser! I remember those! I see they modified the "f" as well.

It's interesting that Futura seems to be a popular choice for teaching the alphabet like that. I'd never really thought about it before, but I guess most of Futura's letterforms are pretty close to what we think of as the "standard" forms of letters.

@a8: I always thought Futura's N was a little wide, too. The exaggerated points kinda help contribute to that, I think, because the N's in heavier weights (which don't have the points) seem less disproportionate.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Let's take a look at my state's seal.

Liars. Those are mountains in the background, and we have nothing of the sort. We have bluffs and grass-covered sand dunes but we do not have mountains. I bet that tree in the foreground is supposed to represent forests (which we also don't have any of).

Also, lemon yellow and bright blue? Are they trying to blind us? (Google searching for Nebraska Seal brought up a bunch of versions with alternate color schemes, but I'm assuming this is the most official version, since it's the one I found on a NE government website.)

Maybe the flag is better....

REAL CREATIVE, GUYS
  • I THINK THAT GUY HAS A SEA-COLORED BEARD
  • edited 2013-03-16 04:36:01
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I think that guy's beard IS the sea.
  • This reminds me that the Kansas state flag is awful.

I'm sure someone thought this was the most action packed flag possible.
  • edited 2013-03-17 02:10:43
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

The composition is a little rough around the edges. For example, the space between the panels is inconsistent and awkward: Why is there no separation between the two roof pieces, and why are they so close to their adjacent wall panels? Nevertheless, the concept is both elegant and iconic. With a slight bit of tweaking, this could be one of the decade's best designs.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!

Seriously, gradients? 3-D letterforms? Wacky font? This looks like Word Art my ten-year-old son cranked out in MS Office. Isn't Sburb a triple-A videogame? Why then does it look like the title text for the newest flavor of Jell-O?