This logo is UGLY.

edited 2013-02-26 19:02:18 in General
Couldn't they even have just gone for a consistent art style?

Tagged:

Comments

• You know what they say, though, you only live once.  Whoever designed that probably wanted to get out and read books while sailing near farms on hills instead of designing a logo.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It looks like something someone would have thrown together in 1998 using generic clipart from a CD-ROM. At least, the CGI books and ship do.

Actually, why are the books even there? It makes sense for the ship to be there, since it's in the water, but the books are just shoved in the foreground. They're not part of the scene, they're just kinda there.

The type is your run-of-the-mill boring Times New Roman, though I must mention the terrible kerning on "County".
  • Holy christ, it's like that logo was on the cover of a late 90's textbook.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^Adjusting the space between letter pairs.

There's also "tracking", which makes letterspacing uniform. I think that's less a typeface thing and more of a design application thing.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "You only live once" means you don't have time to waste on attractive logo design.
  • ALAMEDA COUNTY REPRESENT

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Swords and books. NEEEEERRRDDSS

SF_Sorrow said:

ALAMEDA COUNTY REPRESENT

Not bad, actually. A little busy in the center, but other than that...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    That path they put MINNESOTA on is pretty drunk 
  • Alameda County's seal is nice.  Minnesota's seal is okay -- it would be nice if not for the "MINNESOTA" at the bottom, which doesn't seem to fit.  Maybe if it were in wide smashed-looking seriffed font like the big text on the U.S. dollar bill.
    Ironically, despite my fondness for heraldry, I'm not really a seal kind of person. Too much stuff going on in too little space, though Alameda County's is alright.

how's about my state flag:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My county is lazy. They just took the state seal and slapped their own name on it:

image image
  • how's about my state flag
    hows about I go get some mountains :D
    I always liked Colorado's flag.

Ohio, on the other hand, forgot what flags are supposed to be shaped like:

• edited 2013-02-27 23:15:32
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

That path they put MINNESOTA on is pretty drunk 

It really is.

^ It kind of looks like some kind of cartoon bird.
  • Agreed on both Colorado's and Ohio's flags.
  • edited 2013-02-28 02:17:04
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

My county is lazy. They just took the state seal and slapped their own name on it:

image image
    Strangely, the recolouring and slight redesign actually give the county seal the aesthetic edge over the state seal.

^ Say what you might about their legislators, it cannot be denied that Arizona has a really nice flag.
  • why is blue
    there no water there
  • There is water in AZ, thank you very much (canals, for example).
    Arizona's flag is cool, but it looks to me like a sunset over an ocean, which seems odd for a state not located along a coastline. Though I guess the blue is a more aesthetically pleasing choice than a desert-like color.

Speaking of sunsets, I always liked Denver, Colorado's flag:

And obligatory "LOOK AT ME, MY HOMETOWN HAS A FLAG TOO" post:

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You know, my mind somehow parsed that as a crossroads in a suburban area. Green lawns, tan sidewalks, and inexplicably blue streets.
    They represent canals, iirc.
    That makes more sense, yes.
  • my town does not have a flag, but the town I will be moving to does.

• I wonder if those white specks up top mean something.
  • I'm pretty sure that's just the shitty image quality.
    i misremembered.  The blue represents the Severn, the tan represents limestone, the green represents grass, and it's a cross to match the England flag:

Speaking of British flags, my mind was blown the first time someone pointed out to me that the Union Jack (or Union Flag? Rose Tyler got me all confused) is just St. George's Cross (England), St. Andrew's Cross (Scotland), and St. Patrick's Cross (Northern Ireland) all laid on top of each other.
  • edited 2013-03-01 03:52:12
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Yep.  Wales isn't depicted because Wales belonged to England at the time.

(It's the Union Flag, but the Union Jack when it's at sea.  However, almost everyone calls it the Union Jack; Rose was being unusually pedantic.)
    I like how I can make a vague reference to a single scene from a 7-year-old episode and you know exactly what I'm talking about.

If I'd done that with anyone IRL, I'd probably have gotten a "wait, what?" reaction.
    It was a memorable scene to me.

That, and i watched that show obsessively.
    I did too.

Sometimes I want to get into the old series but I have no idea what a good starting point would be and the massive amount of it is kinda overwhelming. Almost more so than Homestuck.
    There are easy dividing points in the various incarnations of the Doctor, though

If I were ever to delve into the original series I would probably pick Four due to his popularity
    i don't know the classic series nearly as well as the revived one, though i've watched some of them.

i think 'The Horror of Fang Rock' is a good introduction to Four's stories (if you like scary episodes best), or 'City of Death' (if you like funny episodes best).  If you want to watch it in sequence, the start of Three's era is probably a good starting point since it was kind of a revival/'soft reboot' itself.

Alternatively, start from the beginning and watch chronologically, but do so keeping in mind the show got off to kind of a shaky start and unfortunately some of the early episodes are missing (though the audio survived and there are still screenshots and production stills).
  • LWLW
    edited 2013-03-01 20:15:08

Anonus,
    Ironically, despite my fondness for heraldry, I'm not really a seal kind of person.

If it is alright to ask, what is your opinion on county logos like these ones that go with the corporate (I guess) style?
    image image

Never really thought about it, but I kinda like the Multnomah county logo.

Though, I'm guessing someone was payed a lot of money to make it.

WE CAN AFFORD TO BE TRENDY RATHER THAN JUST THROWING A BUNCH OF SHIT LIKE BOOKS, BOATS, SWORDS, AND FARMS INTO THE CENTER OF AN EMBLEM SURROUNDED BY THE NAME OF OUR COUNTY. 

Ramsey County has a nice logo...not too keen on the rest somehow.

What's wrong with being paid to make logos?

Nothing, but Multnomah is almost certainly the most densely populated county in Oregon. Whoever made it was probably paid a lot more than whoever made those other logos.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

my town does not have a flag, but the town I will be moving to does.

That's really close to me. Weird.
  • ramsey is best county