Random desires to go places

edited 2013-02-07 03:02:27 in General
It's 1AM and I want to go to Noodles & Company, despite not being hungry and not having the ability to drive there.

Anybody else get desires like this?

Comments

• Oh, God yes.

I often have random urges to go to Sainsbury's and buy a litre bottle of strawberry and kiwi water for 57p, despite having lots to drink at home.

• Sometimes, yeah.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I get these all the time.

Often it's for places I visit irregularly, like Toys-R-Us, or places I associate with good memories, like the Bed Bath and Beyond on Polaris Parkway. (My family went there during a particularly fun weekend last year, during which we both went to Kings Island and bought my traffic signal.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have a burning desire to go to Incredible Universe.

There's one small problem, though...namely, that Incredible Universe went out of business in 1996.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    All the time, friend. All the time. Sometimes you just want to be somewhere.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I kinda wish I could teleport to Seattle whenever I felt like it.

Also California, but mostly for Bevmo related reasons. 

Maybe Washington will start getting those at some point now that their's no more state controlled liquor stores.

As far as around Portland is concerned, I my desire to go to someplace is just usually if I need something from it, considering it's not too difficult for me to just up and go whenever I feel like it.

I want to go to the Kohl's near US 23 and Powell Road in Delaware County, Ohio

I don't know why
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I want to go to Taco Bell and try the Doritos tacos. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment whim.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I also wish to go to Incredible Universe
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    There was an Incredible Universe here in Woodbridge years ago, and I remember going there back when it opened. It was meant to be a competitor to Best Buy, Circuit City and (to a lesser extent) Micro Center and Fry's, but they made the mistake of imitating Best Buy and expanding too rapidly, rather than doing what Micro Center does and keeping the chain small and focused. They lasted about a year.

The building is still there, and was used for the EFV project until it was canned in 2011. I hear it's up for lease again...good luck using all that space unless you're willing to sublet, guys.
    I bought my first Beatles album at Incredible Universe

So, nostalgia
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Incredible Universe's trademark was auctioned off at the Waldorf-Astoria in 2010

Rich motherfuckers

I'm not rich IRL >:(
    I like Micro Center but I wish they had more locations.

I suppose I'm lucky in that I just happen to live in the city where they have their flagship store, but at the same time said store is on the opposite side of town and it would take a good half hour, at least, to get there even if I drove.
  • edited 2013-02-26 12:46:27
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I like Micro Center too, especially for things that can't wait for Newegg or Amazon, but it's also quite a haul from Woodbridge. The closest thing we have locally is Best Buy (ugh, I don't even bother) and a little computer store that has decent prices but not a lot of selection.
    Micro Center was always good back when we'd need little things you can't find at major chains, but that my parents didn't want to order online. A while back my brother had a really old laptop that needed a PC card to go online. And they had one! For only like $20, too!
    I want to drive down Wallhalla Road in Clintonville.

It even has its own silly urban legend: Supposedly someone named Dr. Mooney, who owned a home along Wallhalla Road in the late '50s or early '60s, went crazy and axed his entire family before killing himself. They say if you drive down Walhalla late at night, you'll see a blue glow emanating from the window of Mooney's Mansion, where the murders took place.

Spoiler:
    There are records of a Mooney family having owned a house there, but no public records of a murder ever happening there.
    I want to visit a strip mall near W. Broad Street and Central Avenue.

This is pretty random and mundane even by my own standards.
    Well, if it's near you, why not just go there?
    Yes, why not go there

god i feel like smoking weed
    it's like half an hour away though

and i'm nearly out of petrol as it is

^ do it then, duh
    yeah, fuck the police!
    But I don't have any
  • go buy some

rule no. 923 about the world: there are weed dealers literally everywhere.

you can probably find a few under your bed.

He's in frickin' Colorado, he could theoretically purchase weed from a reputable, legal retail outlet

'Course you have to be 21 to do that, but I dunno, get a friend to buy it for you or something
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I wanna go to Australia
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Update:

Washington does indeed have Bevmos, now.

I want to go to the Town Center at Aurora.
    Is it fun?
    Kind of, but it's kind of a dying mall...
    Dying malls are the best kind!
    I want to go to this Big Lots in Aurora.

It's fun...
    There's a Big Lots not too far from me...it's next to a dying dead mall, too!
  • edited 2013-09-13 22:32:27
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Living in the sprawl, dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains and there's no end in sight—I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^ Excellent song, excellent album.
  • edited 2013-09-13 22:46:18
    They were talking about dead malls and suburban sprawl; I posted a song with a chorus about that very subject; and he posted a song with the same title. It's all connected! Get hip, get with it!

*woogly hand movements*
  • edited 2013-09-13 22:46:29
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    no.

yes.
  • edited 2013-09-13 22:52:57
    ^ The majestic stallion approves of this statement.
    I haven't been to Big Lots in a couple months, myself...I do need to go again, though, and see if I can get my hands on a cheap keyboard to replace that one with the keys that don't work.

Also, I've been to one in Newnan, Georgia, which was fun.
    Mother doesn't want to go to the Deep South
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I am pleasantly surprised to see that Imi likes Sonic Youth.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I want to kick the stars.

I am pleasantly surprised to see that Imi likes Sonic Youth.

Not a huge fan, but I give 'em a listen every now and then.

Also, nobody wants to go to the Deep South, I mean, seriously
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    oh god I have had brief stints a little further below the "southern US" line and ummmmm yeah never again
    Well, she doesn't want to go to Atlanta

Doesn't even think the World of Coke counts as something "interesting"
    World of Coke?

If that means Cocaine, then it might be interesting. If it means Coca-Cola, then no
  • edited 2013-09-14 15:48:31
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Coca-Cola...they're headquartered in Atlanta, after all.