Sexism in Nerd Culture

Comments

• edited 2013-01-23 18:44:06

and most hardcore techno is crap

(most of the stuff that isn't is d'n'b/hardcore crossover stuff like the Outside Agency/DJ Hidden and some stuff by Current Value)

(also breakcore tends to be pretty good imo)

lol off topic
  • Hudson Mohawke makes good music

wait what thread is this again

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    In my experience, geeks tend to style themselves as a fairly welcoming, accepting bunch, so i can understand wanting to fit in with them, if you were lonely.

I suppose, but I'm trouble imaging the same group of "welcoming, accepting bunch" (which is the same sort of nerds I'm used to) finding out someone that hangs out with them constantly maybe isn't THAT into Comics, or Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, but still likes to hang out with them and play board games and actually watch these movies be perceived as any sort of threat or person who would need ot have their "nerd cred" challenged.

I don't know...I guess Majave or someone mentioned there are commercials with girls who are clearly not really nerds? Maybe watching those would help me understand where this is all coming from, otherwise it seems more like generic nerd "I, Lor, am the big Anime fan" mixed with a twist of misogyny that might creep up from the odd individual here or their then really any sort of trend in the "geek" community.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've never understood this mentality.

I mean...I like it when other people like the things that I like, and even if they're just using it as an excuse to hang out with me, hey, they want to hang out with me, right? That's a good thing. And hey, maybe they'll actually start to like the thing they're pretending to like, or maybe we can find something we both enjoy!

I mean, even if someone is a "fake" geek, does it matter? They still wanna be my friend and that's what counts!
  • guys are way too concerned with chicks being fake nerds

im more concerned about girls being fake heart surgeons because that shit is dangerous
  • edited 2013-01-23 21:58:17
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^Exactly, and except for occasionally hanging out at a Denny's or Shari's at an odd hour at the night, Geeks predominantly do geeky things. It's sort of impossible to hang out with geeks all the time and not participate in geek culture unless you try REALLY hard to be a wall-flower. 
  • Justice42 said:

I don't know...I guess Majave or someone mentioned there are commercials with girls who are clearly not really nerds? Maybe watching those would help me understand where this is all coming from, otherwise it seems more like generic nerd "I, Lor, am the big Anime fan" mixed with a twist of misogyny that might creep up from the odd individual here or their then really any sort of trend in the "geek" community.

There was briefly a series of  banner ads about "date geek girls in your area now" that had pictures of models basically gnawing on Xbox 360 controllers.

This was ridiculous and was made fun of, as it should've been.

Then at some point, people decided that these "fake geek women" were actually real, and fairly recently a comic writer (I wish I could remember who offhand but I can't) basically spouted off about how women who attend cons and such are actually not really geeks and are whores who are faking interest in geek culture in order to sleep with you.

Now obviously the socially accepting tumblr nerd is rarely the same person as these "burn all the fake geeks" people are, but that doesn't mean the latter group doesn't exist. Because it does.

• The sadness will last forever.
    you mean tony harris?
  • edited 2013-01-24 00:38:58

And THATS why I wrote my short story, to warn about the horrors of women who lure you in with the promise of a fulfilling relationship when really they just want to put on a costume and have  no strings attached freaky nerd sex with dudes.

The horror...

The horror...
  • See, I wonder what y'all might think of this:

I'm pretty sure that there are occasions where certain...models dress up as female video game characters. For example, I think Marie-Claude Bourbonnais (sp?) once dressed up as Rainbow Mika from Street Fighter for some event. Granted, I can't guess as to what the motivations behind things like that are.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    The main problem I have with that is the ridiculous design of the character itself.

I mean, seriously
  • Yeah, dunno if it's the best example, since Rainbow Mika's design is...silly.

Then again, Street Fighter's one of the most mainstream-ass things, so...

Bourbonnais's famous[9][10] 2009 cosplay portrayal of Mortal Kombat character Frost fascinated Ed Boon and apparently inspired the looks of female characters in Mortal Kombat (2011).[11] In 2011, Bourbonnais participated in a calendar Cosplay for a Cause, raising funds for the Japanese earthquake and tsunami relief.[12][13]

Bourbonnais was a speaker at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2012,[14] and a special guest at Cape & Kimono 2010 and 2011[15] and at Ottawa Comiccon 2012.[16] She was featured on radio and TV shows and Soda Pop Miniatures featured her as a character in their games.[15] She also played the character Hornet in the web series Heroes of the North and had an action figure made in her image.[17]

OK, I don't know if she's super interested in the things she's help created, but that is an absurd amount of nerd cred.

I guess at THAT point, who really cares? She's already done more for those franchises then most fans can ever hope for. 

Now in the case of professional models dressing up as characters or "both babes", I think it's just sort of assumed they usually don't have a ton of interest in that stuff or at least no one really expects them to be, say, a Bayonetta expert.

I don't know if that's unfair, maybe? But I don't think it's a surprise to many people that they're being paid to play dress up in that case. Which doesn't make them a "Fake geek girl" just "not a geek".
  • edited 2013-01-24 01:07:32
    Oh, shit, yeah, booth babes, I guess that was something I shoulda touched on.

I personally think it's a good idea to resist that practice since it comes off as pandering. I mean, it's like, I think it's fine if it's just somebody cosplaying, but I think the practice is kinda inherently sexist in some way.

Also, the "Cosplay for a Cause" thing sounds pretty awesome. And yeah, that does lend her a fair amount of nerd cred.

Well, both babes are certainly a shameless attempt to pander to the target demographic, I can't argue with you there.

I feel I should post this, now:

• In the case of booth babes I've always sort of felt sorry for the women who are doing it.
  • Yeah, it must suck to be the booth babe: you're only there because some game company put a lot of money into marketing and you're going to be both ogled and derided by gamers.

I try to stay away from games that rely on that kinda practice in their marketing.
  • And also because I know how annoying it is having to feign interest in something.
  • edited 2013-01-24 01:23:08

Well, I assume they accepted the job for money. I'm guessing it's not the funnest job, but I'm having trouble humoring the idea the girls who take both babe jobs don't do other sort of "I'm a human decoration" jobs for other events or don't have an idea of what they're getting into. 
  • "I'm a human decoration" jobs are pretty demeaning in general.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Gilda said:

Now I'm going to assume that whatever hipsters like is obscure because it's bad.

In defence of nerd interests (not the elitists, mind), it is a matter of preference; comics are a very different format from the movies and the approach to storytelling is very different. The comics are also a product of an earlier era with different values and different consumer tastes.
    Justice42 said:

I suppose, but I'm trouble imaging the same group of "welcoming, accepting bunch" (which is the same sort of nerds I'm used to) finding out someone that hangs out with them constantly maybe isn't THAT into Comics, or Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, but still likes to hang out with them and play board games and actually watch these movies be perceived as any sort of threat or person who would need ot have their "nerd cred" challenged.

No, and those aren't the nerds you see parroting the stereotype.

Keep in mind that people don't always live up to their own ideals, though.
    Justice42 said:

I don't know...I guess Majave or someone mentioned there are commercials with girls who are clearly not really nerds? Maybe watching those would help me understand where this is all coming from, otherwise it seems more like generic nerd "I, Lor, am the big Anime fan" mixed with a twist of misogyny that might creep up from the odd individual here or their then really any sort of trend in the "geek" community.

Well, the way i see it, sexism is the default in most cultures. If nerd culture, which is not known for being especially socially-conscious or self-aware, is an exception, then that's a great thing and i would like to know how this came about, but i can't say that lines up with my experiences all that closely.

Well, I think there's definitely sexism in nerd culture and it's worth exploring. But despite what that article posted elsewhere alluded too, I don't think the problems are any worse than any other group defined by an interest that's typically dominated by guys.

If anything, the groups of nerds are probably more welcoming of women than many other groups dominated by men. Though, then you have to deal with other problems like the occasional male GM that inserts his horrible hentai fantasies into D&D seasons, apparently. -_-; 
    With that much, i agree completely.

i don't think geeks/nerds are especially or abnormally sexist, speaking generally.  What i do think is that we're often slower to call one another out than we could be (due to geek social fallacies 1, 2 & 3), and sometimes prone to a certain complacency which means complaints get brushed aside.

Oh yeah, there's definitely aspects of the traditional nerd "social order" that lend to all kinds of problems. I could easily see some of those making for some uncomfortable situations with female members of the group that are hard to address in that situation. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    a8 said:

i don't think geeks/nerds are especially or abnormally sexist, speaking generally.  What i do think is that we're often slower to call one another out than we could be (due to geek social fallacies 1, 2 & 3),

Lack of denunciations is a bad thing?

I think the issue is that, as long as there are hobbies and fandoms dominated by women, there will also be ones dominated by men (unless women on average have significantly more leisure time). So you could eliminate every objectionable trope (scantily clad heroines, etc.) and person from comics (or whatever) and not achieve demographic equality.

• edited 2013-01-24 14:42:34
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Gilda said:

Lack of denunciations is a bad thing?

Of some things? Yes, it absolutely is.

With that said, there's a big difference between ostracizing somebody and tolerating every obnoxious thing they do.
    Gilda said:

I think the issue is that, as long as there are hobbies and fandoms dominated by women, there will also be ones dominated by men (unless women on average have significantly more leisure time). So you could eliminate every objectionable trope (scantily clad heroines, etc.) and person from comics (or whatever) and not achieve demographic equality.

True enough, but i think the audience differences between Western comics and manga are illustrative here. In Japanese comics, there are male-targeted comics and female-targeted comics, whereas the former dominate the Anglo-American comic market.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    a8 said:

True enough, but i think the audience differences between Western comics and manga are illustrative here. In Japanese comics, there are male-targeted comics and female-targeted comics, whereas the former dominate the Anglo-American comic market.

That's because manga is a medium, while American comics are dominated by one subgenre. And the editors at Marvel and DC have entered the industry through that subgenre's fandom, and either can't or don't want to think outside its box. Their periodic attempts at woman-centric comics either start out as part of superhero continuity (Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Trouble) or get eaten by it later (Hey girls! Princess Amethyst of Gemworld is now tied into Dr. Fate and Hawk and Dove!).
  • Most american comics that aim for a female audience seem to be built on the principle of "it's pink, so they'll like it, right?"

Because all women love pink, obviously.

• I think because comics specifically for women are so really made you can't really make an assumption like that.
  • ^ I'll assume you meant 'rarely made'.

Only example of a female-oriented comic that I can think of is Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham, where Catwoman takes Bruce's place in the Batman mythology (i.e. her parents get killed, she's brought up by a maid, etc, etc.). That was a notably bad comic, both in general and in...not being sexist.
  • Yarrun said:

^ I'll assume you meant 'rarely made'.

Yeah. >_>

I was using my phone's voice-to-text thing at the time.
  • Yarrun said:

^ I'll assume you meant 'rarely made'.

Only example of a female-oriented comic that I can think of is Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham, where Catwoman takes Bruce's place in the Batman mythology (i.e. her parents get killed, she's brought up by a maid, etc, etc.). That was a notably bad comic, both in general and in...not being sexist.

so was it bad at not being sexist (ie. it was sexist) or was it bad and not sexist???
    Viani said:

Gunnerkrigg Court is a good one.

Gunnerkrigg Court is a webcomic.
  • Yes.

But Gunnerkrigg is outside the printed comic industry and it, like webcomics in general, is not really subject to the same phenomena as the printed comic industry is.

• It's bad at being a comic and bad at not being sexist.

Remember Alfred and Two-Face? The respectable butler and the well-dressed ex-lawyer? They got replaced by a marriage-obsessed maid and a woman half-clad in 'skanky' lingerie.

^ And that. That is very true.
  • I'm sure if it was printed inside the comic industry, it would probably still be the same, and still not suck. Usually being printed inside of a printing factory makes any phenomenon invalid though. Unless of course the shitty X-Men comics get Tom Siddell to write some worthwhile characters, then this kind of thing wouldn't be happening, right? I think?
  • Viani said:

I'm sure if it was printed inside the comic industry, it would probably still be the same, and still not suck. Usually being printed inside of a printing factory makes any phenomenon invalid though. Unless of course the shitty X-Men comics get Tom Siddell to write some worthwhile characters, then this kind of thing wouldn't be happening, right? I think?

Sometimes I forget who I'm talking to when I try to have serious discussions with you. :|
    Yarrun said:

It's bad at being a comic and bad at not being sexist.

Remember Alfred and Two-Face? The respectable butler and the well-dressed ex-lawyer? They got replaced by a marriage-obsessed maid and a woman half-clad in 'skanky' lingerie.

This is very depressing.
  • Viani said:

I'm sure if it was printed inside the comic industry, it would probably still be the same, and still not suck. Usually being printed inside of a printing factory makes any phenomenon invalid though. Unless of course the shitty X-Men comics get Tom Siddell to write some worthwhile characters, then this kind of thing wouldn't be happening, right? I think?

Sometimes I forget who I'm talking to when I try to have serious discussions with you. :|

If there was any way progress could be made by discussing this topic I would happily switch to Solution Creation and Reinforcement Mode.

Is Sexualization and Objectification of Women in Nerd-Aimed Media Bad? Yes, because it disillusions the reader into thinking that attractive curvy female characters are relevant beyond being a nice objectified aesthetic as opposed to an extremely well-grounded realistic or acceptable device used to augment or enhance the storyline of this picture book sold by a printing industry. Which they aren't. They are tits in a book.

Like, if the comics were making statements like "WOMEN: Something to be Saved" "Protect The Tits, to Earn the Tits" and other slogans.

But it's not, because the 38D Psylocke in a tight leather bustier encourages the fans to buy a lot better than a meager 32B Psylocke in progressive adequately aligned leather suit. Which is good for the Capitalist agenda. If they want to spend money on buying your drawings of tits, then continue to make more. It's like Pepsi, or Tobacco, it harms the image and conveys lies, but HEY it makes money, and the smart people aren't buying into it so no harm done.

I think? Has anyone shot up a post office, assaulted women or raped anyone because Phoenix's boobs are huge?
  • Most american comics that aim for a female audience seem to be built on the principle of "it's pink, so they'll like it, right?"

Because all women love pink, obviously.

That's actually something I felt Marvel NOW! has addressed pretty well. Captain Marvel is definitely a title about female superheroes and their place in history but it never really feels like it's aimed at girls or pandering to a particular demographic outside of "People who like superheroes". And there are a group of titles with a bigger female-to-male cast ratio. DC, on the other hand, just brought back Princess of Gemworld and called it a day. Wonder Woman's been pretty great, though, but for the most part, it's been a pretty problematic year for them. Lois Lane has pretty much just become a background character and Diana is pretty much Superman's slave on Justice League. They seem to want to bring Katana back, though, that should be nice. 

It's not perfect, admittedly, but change is a slow bitch when it comes to these things.  And Marvel did get rid of most of the females for the Guardians of the Galaxy adaptation, as well as the LGBT members of said group so it's not like one of them is being entirely progressive about it either.

Neil Gaiman's The Sandman was notably popular with female readers, by American comicbook standards.
    Viani said:

If there was any way progress could be made by discussing this topic I would happily switch to Solution Creation and Reinforcement Mode.

Nobody here expects this thread to affect the comics industry in the slightest though. This is a discussion. We are talking on a forum, AS HUMANS DO.
    Viani said:

I think? Has anyone shot up a post office, assaulted women or raped anyone because Phoenix's boobs are huge?

No, but there are bad things that don't result in tragedies.

And the issue isn't really the fanservice or any one comic book character, it's the general trend in the way comic books are marketed and written, and the dissimilarity between the ways they represent men and women.
  • edited 2013-01-25 12:31:50

To be fair, men are often "idealized" too. I mean, Magneto is so powerful he hardly has to move at all. Yet, he always looks like he could bench press a bus. 

Though, I can agree that women tend to be a bit more outlandish in that their physical proportions and costumes are often borderline impossible. 

As Viani alluded too, this is sort of the problem with "sexy sells" and it's unlikely much will be done here, but I think making well written female characters and attempting to come up with female superheros that don't just exist as the counterpart to a male superhero is something few would disagree on as being anything but a boon to the comic industry.
  • edited 2013-01-25 12:40:31
    He's "idealized" but not in at all the same way.  This issue is not that women in comic books are too powerful (which very often isn't the case, anyway), nor merely that they're sexually attractive.  As has been pointed out already, the kind of character design you see on male comic book characters, while hardly realistic, is designed with male wish fulfillment in mind and has little to do with what the average woman finds attractive (also, in the case of Magneto, they're trying to make him look menacing as well).

i am honestly puzzled that the American comics industry hasn't made more of an effort to reach female audiences.  Or, i dunno, have they made more of an effort than i'm giving them credit for?  Or are they incompetent, or what?
  • edited 2013-01-25 12:54:05

If anything, women in comic books are often over-shadowed by male characters, another point against comic book writers (X-Men is probably a notable exception here, where many of the female members are just as powerful, if not more powerful then the male members).

Also, I don't think I'm arguing over it being clear that comics are targeting males...I mean, I think we've made that obvious. 

As far as "making an effort" it seems "incompetent" might be the answer here given the evidence. Another issue the Foresythe mentioned, is that American comic book makers tend to be men. I can't help but imagine female portrayals in comics would improve if more women broke into the industry, though that's probably a discussion in itself. 

Also just wanted to add that Magento was just one example.Almost EVERY male superhero and comic book villain looks like that regardless of if their power would necessitate them being physically fit or not. 

I think Tony Stork may be an exception, but that's probably only recently when everyone decided that he needed to look like Robert Downey Jr.
  • edited 2013-01-25 13:05:40
    It's true, there isn't much diversity in male body types in comic books, but since the types we see are chiefly geared towards male interests anyway, i think that rather reinforces the point that comics are targeting males.

But that's what you said, so idk, not really arguing here.