Questions and suggestions about the rules

124»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i've probably misunderstood somehow
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane: For what it's worth, I agree in part. It's accomplished little in a thread for the forum specifically dedicated to that, which bothers me; my posts at least are little more than masturbatory, and I have a thread for that.

Also she's also been banned multiple times, wrt "mod threats", it's not like Central refuses to notice or comment on this stuff, I'd know because I'm her friggin' friend and talk to her daily.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Referring to my literally just saying "please don't do this" as a "mod threat" is a bit extreme, I'd think
  • Referring to my literally just saying "please don't do this" as a "mod threat" is a bit extreme, I'd think

You're a mod, there is an inherent subtext of "or I'll probate you".

edit: see?

edit 2: also it seems like a huge programming oversight that people in the Muted role can edit comments still. Y'all should probably fix that.
    well, we had a discussion, it didn't result in an agreement but we couldn't have known that before we started

i'm kinda irritated at 'social grandstanding' tbh, like, i was responding to specific posts and specific things people said, but i guess it's not possible to make posts about serious things without having your motives second guessed?
  • Tachyon said:

i'm kinda irritated at 'social grandstanding' tbh, like, i was responding to specific posts and specific things people said, but i guess it's not possible to make posts about serious things without having your motives second guessed?

yeah

Referring to my literally just saying "please don't do this" as a "mod threat" is a bit extreme, I'd think

You're a mod, there is an inherent subtext of "or I'll probate you".
    also yeah
    i'm assuming Jane's post was at least partly @ me, since nobody else here attempted to 'explain why loli is sort of offensive'
  • queenpoison: this is an important conversation that people want to have, you're intent on disrupting it, and you kept doing so even when asked politely not to. So yeah, 24-hour mute so people can discuss this freely.
  • Haven said:

queenpoison: this is an important conversation that people want to have, you're intent on disrupting it, and you kept doing so even when asked politely not to. So yeah, 24-hour mute so people can discuss this freely.

after a mod had already responded to this? really?

edit 2: also it seems like a huge programming oversight that people in the Muted role can edit comments still. Y'all should probably fix that.

lol

quoting to bring this to attention

but yeah, with naney here, honestly
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm agreed with both Naney and Tach here.

Why did you do that?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Haven said:

queenpoison: this is an important conversation that people want to have, you're intent on disrupting it, and you kept doing so even when asked politely not to. So yeah, 24-hour mute so people can discuss this freely.

Personally, I disagree with this, but do as you will mr. moderator.
  • edited 2015-11-06 20:53:53
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I find it odd, but you do you.

I admittedly take more than a little issue with this when one moderator already stepped in and responded, and looked to be on her way to responding. That's not to say others moderators can't respond too, but going a step further than that on your own strikes me as questionable at best. No less given how, er, distressingly much actions by specific people have been attributed to HH's Mods as a whole, which is bothersome on a multitude of levels.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-11-07 01:26:44

Tachyon said:

i mean i've adjusted my posting style for the sake of not making people here uncomfortable, i don't use /me commands anymore and i've tried to cut back on the bad language, i don't see that it's altogether unreasonable to expect people to stop saying something that i've said makes me *very* uncomfortable

I wanted to say that I really appreciate that and think that is generally how things should operate in a community like this. I understand that in a bigger forum, people may just not know what topics really bother specific people because of how many members there are, but this site's active userbase is pretty small, so I feel like it is a bit more reasonable to expect people to be considerate of others and not do things they have reason to know will really bother people.

Personally, I kind of wish there were fewer throwaway threads here, whether they be snowclones, threads made for the purpose of making one joke etc. (though I have to admit I have made some of those myself over the years, haha). When it comes to wonderposting, I guess I would much rather have threads with more to them than just one joke or so, and sometimes I think it can be a bit difficult to find the threads with discussion in them given how many throwaway threads pop up here on a day-to-day basis. I do not know. Maybe I would just rather have fewer threads with more discussion. It is a thought anyway.

Honestly, my main priority when it comes to rules enforcement is that the rules be applied the same in similar situations and that staff do not treat those who are popular or well-liked on the forum differently from those who are not so popular or those who express a dissenting opinion about something.
    LW said:

Tachyon said:

i mean i've adjusted my posting style for the sake of not making people here uncomfortable, i don't use /me commands anymore and i've tried to cut back on the bad language, i don't see that it's altogether unreasonable to expect people to stop saying something that i've said makes me *very* uncomfortable

Personally, I kind of wish there were fewer throwaway threads here, whether they be snowclones, threads made for the purpose of making one joke etc. (though I have to admit I have made some of those myself over the years, haha). When it comes to wonderposting, I guess I would much rather have threads with more to them than just one joke or so, and sometimes I think it can be a bit difficult to find the threads with discussion in them given how many throwaway threads pop up here on a day-to-day basis. I do not know. Maybe I would just rather have fewer threads with more discussion. It is a thought anyway.
    Just reminds me of how I wanted the option to block threads by default, and was sad when I realized I couldn't.
    LW said:

Tachyon said:

Honestly, my main priority when it comes to rules enforcement is that the rules be applied the same in similar situations and that staff do not treat those who are popular or well-liked on the forum differently from those who are not so popular or those who express a dissenting opinion about something.
    I'm for that overall.
  • ive always thought that one of the most fun things about this forum was starting abortive joke threads
    And that's fair, you do you. I just mean like, I'd rather have it then not, in principle, you know?
  • i would appreciate the ability selectively block threads
  • edited 2015-11-07 01:54:22
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that reminds me, in the goss thread the other day, GMH asked about the ability to stop receiving alerts for a specific thread that you made

at present we can choose whether or not we receive alerts when someone posts in ANY of the threads we made, as in, all of them, but we can't say 'i don't want to receive alerts for this specific thread anymore'

is this a possibility?
  • i would appreciate the ability selectively block threads

^^ ^^ ^^
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That seems to be a popular request.

Problem is, there's no existing Vanilla plugin for it, last I checked, so Lee would have to make his own when he gets some free time...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

i would appreciate the ability selectively block threads

That would be cool to have, yeah.
  • Tachyon said:

that reminds me, in the goss thread the other day, GMH asked about the ability to stop receiving alerts for a specific thread that you made

at present we can choose whether or not we receive alerts when someone posts in ANY of the threads we made, as in, all of them, but we can't say 'i don't want to receive alerts for this specific thread anymore'

is this a possibility?

This was because I'd started the thread, and I was automatically "subscribed" to it as in that new posts would automatically notify me that they were there.
    Would it be possible to have the Categories be the main page, rather than the Recent Discussions index?  And, how would people feel about that?

i feel like it might be an improvement, since it would make it easier for people to avoid threads that don't interest them, and maybe reduce some of the tension around here in the process.

Selective thread blocking would also help in this regard, of course, if that's at all a possibility (i came here meaning to ask about that as well, but had forgotten that we already asked about this and what CA's answer was).
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Speaking of which, threads there should be listed alphabetically in each section or something; the current order is a bit random, and includes some threads that are less used while ignoring others that are.
    In the categories menu?  It is alphabetical, for the most part.

Only thing that strikes me as a little weird is how Site Business is right at the top and Site Discussion is way over at the bottom, when they seem like two aspects of the same thing.
  • On a relatively small forum like this I prefer having all the threads on the front page, personally.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oh, that. I got confused. I thought you meant the "important threads" page for some reason, which really does need a bit of revision.
  • I have no strong opinion on this subject.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'd considered making Categories the front page but wondered if that would lead to stratification of user browsing habits, and if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
    Personally I prefer having the Discussions page as the homepage, but I'd be cool with switching it to the Categories page if that's what more people want.
    That was how i felt before, that having them all on the front page is convenient and keeps the community cohesive.

But like, if the alternative is people posting in threads just to say they don't like them and aren't interested or call the participants dumb, or leaving because they don't get along with whoever (which has happened before, i believe), maybe a little stratification is actually a healthy thing in an internet community.

And if we can't block threads, being able to more easily avoid subforums that don't interest us would at least be a step in that direction.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I think your reasoning makes a lot of sense.
    Well, only if people are ok with it, but i figured i'd at least raise the idea and see what everyone thinks.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I feel like we're small enough that there would end up being tiny subforums nobody posts in.
  • I'm with CA in that I like having the entire forum as a stream of every discussion (because it's easier to pinpoint what exactly people are talking about at any given moment) but if people are more receptive to the idea of using the category system as the front page I guess we could switch.

I guess there's always the possibility of just changing my bookmarks to the Discussions page if we did change the front page to the Categories page instead.
  • Well conversely people can already bookmark "all categories" if that's what they'd prefer.
    I'd like to have the option to see it as a stream or a category system, but I'm not sure how easy that is to implement. Since I mean, I like the stream somewhat (if I could block threads it'd be A+). Although what Tattershood said is true, I guess.