Questions and suggestions about the rules

Comments

• this isnt the rules but can we have more fonts
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that would be cool
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In the WYSIWYG editor, you mean? It's probably doable somehow...any particular requests?
  • i want something handwriting-y
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    We should probably limit our choices to fonts that either (a) are common enough that the average Heaper could expect to have them installed, or (b) are freely available to distribute as webfonts...

imho that novelty Unown font that got linked here the one time and nobody else downloaded it

• Tachyon said:

imho that novelty Unown font that got linked here the one time and nobody else downloaded it

ii support this proposal

:D

• edited 2015-07-30 00:58:21
    can see only most recent poster in this view. am curious if it would be possible to make original poster for each thread visible here as well

but then we won't be able to make smug 'before i even clicked' posts
    That would be a nice feature to have.

Paging @lee4hmz
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Much like thread ignoring.
  • yea @crystal with both of those features i could tell which threads you were the op of, and then ignore them without ever having to open them >:D
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    And I the same to you!

(But also this is a non-wonderposting thread, so.)
  • how do you invite someone here i never remember
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-09-04 00:26:56
    Profile > Invitations (right sidebar)
    go to your profile page, click "invitations" in the column on your right, enter their email

i think, i've never actually done this though
    ninja'd by the Treman
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    At the ever-so-polite behest of CentralAve, I would just like to suggest that we ease up on the rules. We don't accept new people anymore, as far as I'm aware no one does anything actively bad or offensive here, the trash heap should always prioritize shitposting over anything else, aaaaaaaaaand we are all more than capable of working out our issues through social pressure rather than administrative force. I ran an IRC channel for about a year, with a similar policy, and it worked out quite well. I only had one hard rule, and that was not to do anything illegal. It worked out quite well and everyone was happy.
    i wouldn't be very happy about people going around calling themselves things like 'Yandere Loli'

honestly, i would not be happy about that
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

i wouldn't be very happy about people going around calling themselves things like 'Yandere Loli'

honestly, i would not be happy about that

Me too.
  • edited 2015-11-06 19:14:41
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

At the ever-so-polite behest of CentralAve, I would just like to suggest that we ease up on the rules.

Vague but workable.

We don't accept new people anymore

It's a conscious choice to invite people, and it was closed initially due to spam.

the trash heap should always prioritize shitposting over anything else

Please don't try to make your personal tastes into general rules to argue for, as an argument; you don't see me arguing for less of that. If you want to wonderpost, literally no one has been stopping you for years, and there are multiple threads for that.

we are all more than capable of working out our issues through social pressure rather than administrative force

Entirely agreed, and I don't think you'll find anyone on the administrative team disagreeing with that either. The difference is that some people jump the gun with moderation, others use it more as a note, a wink if you will, to calm it down. I do think telling people to chill and step back for a bit first.

I ran  an IRC channel ... happy.

This is partly political projection in a way I'm not entirely fond of, much like if I were to extremely rules-focused. I get the last part is silliness so I'm not really paying it mind, but your rule worked for your channel by design; it's not comparable. Sort of like saying we these wheels worked really well for these steam trains, so let's copy those onto boats.

I don't want to fill up this thread with ramblings that don't entirely fit, but your channel worked specifically because of the people involved, the fact that it was an IRC channel rather than a forum, and other personality things that add up to why it was what it was (and I loved it), and this forum is Not Like That. Mind you, part of the appeal for me was the specific lack of said administrative forces - in a sense - and I don't see how that's not any less workable here. It just doesn't have to come with adjusting viewpoints, so much as actually trying to engage the people you are sharing this forum with, and listening to them as them, and blah blah blah blah blah.

Like, a basic part of that would be the balancing here, since I clearly don't want to make e.g. Tachyon uncomfortable.
  • edited 2015-11-06 19:19:31

i personally would ultimately prefer baldanders and tach being comfortable over being able to say shota or loli

but im still low key making that pulled down eyelid anime face at the screen at them
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    You're all free to ignore miko politics... miko just likes to put things in the open!
  • edited 2015-11-06 19:21:36

You're all free to ignore miko politics... miko just likes to put things in the open!

I like reading and responding to Mikopolitics, obviously.

I also like talking at length about myself.

But yeah, what today is naney said.

v Also a fair comment, which happened back in your channel too, so...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'd just like to say, Miko. Would you feel comfortable if I started talking about Chris-Chan everywhere?

No, you wouldn't. Everybody has their limits, and if you want to be someone's friend, you have to keep their personal limits in mind, even if you don't share them.
    Oh, Sex42... you know perfectly well what would happen. I'd be like "eww stop talking about that person" and then that would be that. I may try to do something like /ban Section42L for funsies, but only because I know it won't do anything because I am not an admin, and so people will continue to talk about Chris-chan and Miko will have her private little joke whilst ignoring it, because she cannot force #trashheap to talk about everything she wants. If Miko does want to change the flow of a conversation, she is skilled enough to do so anyway. ^_^
    And by "skilled" I mean "hamfisted and transparently audacious but still effective because everyone has autism." :3
  • edited 2015-11-06 19:28:49

Oh, Sex42... you know perfectly well what would happen. I'd be like "eww stop talking about that person" and then that would be that.

No... you've proceeded to make comments that amount to "Why does anyone talk about him", for lines and lines, enough for me to remember; but we're more or less sidetracking now.
    Well, yeah. :D I do say stuff like that!
  • I feel like there's no actual point in engaging in this conversation seriously because no one here is actually interested in having a real discussion about this.

In lieu of wasting more of my time, I will post this
  • miko, ultimately, not everyone is as comfortable with things that make them uncomfortable as you are, and it really isnt your/my place to tell them to be. they can feel how they wanna feel, and i and most others would rather have them around than discuss these ultimately not very important things.
    It's not just you that dislikes Chris-Chan talk, though. Other people have actively told me not to talk about it because it makes them uncomfortable. I try my best to abide by this, not because I'm a bad person for finding Chris-Chan interesting, but because HH just isn't the right venue for talk about them.

It's much the same situation with loli/shota stuff, as far as I can tell.
  • I feel like there's no actual point in engaging in this conversation seriously because no one here is actually interested in having a real discussion about this.

an IMO: people complaining about people complaining about freeze peaches is more annoying/condescending than people complaining about freeze peaches at this point

miko, ultimately, not everyone is as comfortable with things that make them uncomfortable as you are, and it really isnt your/my place to tell them to be. they can feel how they wanna feel, and i and most others would rather have them around than discuss these ultimately not very important things.

Makes Sense. It's not like this is a Serious Issue for me, just something I felt like talking about. :)
  • It is something i appreciate having a discussion about as well
    I appreciate having a discussion about it, too, which is why I was kinda baffled by Jane's comment there.

I feel like there's no actual point in engaging in this conversation seriously because no one here is actually interested in having a real discussion about this.

Please don't do this.

i personally would ultimately prefer baldanders and tach being comfortable over being able to say shota or loli

but im still low key making that pulled down eyelid anime face at the screen at them

i'm sorta like, i dunno, at this point it's contextual, really, i probably wouldn't have complained over MV being called 'Yandere Loli', i'd just have been irritated

i mean i've asked people not to use the words, i've given reasons not to, my main argument is simply that i think forums where people are throwing terms like that around tend to develop a pretty nasty culture as newbies get the impression that the implicit underlying attitudes are also ok

that's less an issue now that we don't admit new members without an invite

otoh clearly there are limits to what people think is appropriate to wonderpost, GMH wasn't allowed to use the n-word for the sake of a meme, and ok that's not directly comparable since that's an ethnic slur and an extremely severe one at that, but at no point was anyone here thinking Glenn was being racially prejudiced, the use of the word itself was recognized as being inappropriate

and idk but having asked people not to use the words and said i'm uncomfortable with it and given what i think were pretty good reasons not to use them, i am sort of irritated by people using words that they know are gonna make me uncomfortable

i mean i've adjusted my posting style for the sake of not making people here uncomfortable, i don't use /me commands anymore and i've tried to cut back on the bad language, i don't see that it's altogether unreasonable to expect people to stop saying something that i've said makes me *very* uncomfortable
    See, you can be a nice person and all that, but on the internet you can't change yourself to please everyone else, because basically everyone is on the internet, and combined, they won't let you do anything!!! 8]
    You can't change for everyone, but you can change for your friends.
    I don't change for Just Friends, but I do change for people I love. :)
  • See, you can be a nice person and all that, but on the internet you can't change yourself to please everyone else, because basically everyone is on the internet, and combined, they won't let you do anything!!! 8]

this is kinda true, as you get more and more people in a community the conversational/behavioral area of acceptability gets smaller and smaller

but, we dont have everyone here, it's just a group of friends, so while there are some bits taken out of the area, it usually isnt a big deal IMO

granted sometimes it can annoy me! but that's life, and i'd rather have all my friends and be annoyed than not be annoyed and lose some freinds.
    I think it's worth noting that rejecting "Yandere Loli" wasn't exactly a unique case. We've rejected usernames that make others uncomfortable in the past. (Remember "Famous Dead Mormons"?)
    Does anyone else remember "Hitler Was Right?" If it were my forum, I'd allow pret-ty much anything, but for better or worse it is not my forum. I've made forums and they've all been ded and lame.
  • ok, fine, I'll bite.

The reason I don't like having this conversation (and meta-conversations about "the state of the forum" in general) is that it just strikes me as social grandstanding and I don't really see any need for it.

Even now all we've really done is explain in several different ways why we find the word "loli" sort of offensive. I don't feel like we've actually accomplished anything.

Also like, lol, perception standards much? Miko tows the line between just being jokingly snarky and telling people to fuck off all the time, I do it and I'm met with mod threats, (this is not the first time this has happened). I'm sorry I can't be perfectly patient at all times, but surely my frustration is at least understandable.
    i don't think anyone here is engaging in 'social grandstanding'

also tbh i've just gotten into the habit of thinking that whenever i think Miko has said something offensive i've probably misunderstood somehow, since i've been wrong too many times in the past
    I don't find the word "loli" offensive fwiw. I look at lolis all the time on Pixiv and I think they're pretty cute! When you say "everyone" that includes me too, right? ...right??