My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

Aw, shucks.

• edited 2012-02-25 02:13:48
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    >PCfags wrecking Derpy

This is...

I think "travesty" comes close to expressing my reaction.

At least we still have the original circulating the webs. I might want to torrent that before it gets harder to find.

And before this, I honestly would have been willing to buy DVDs of the show. I still would of the first season, but I wouldn't enjoy having that edit on anything I paid money for.
  • I believe it's unchanged on the DVDs.
  • edited 2012-02-25 02:45:05
    Well, I think it depends on which version. There were DVDs of that episode already sold and distributed, right? They aren't going to recall those as far as I can tell.

Hmm... they might become a collector's item later... I might want to look into that.

Okay, now I'm seeing people saying that this was entirely Apple's doing; voice-acting and edits and all. If that's true, Apple isn't getting a cent for episodes from me. Not like they were likely going to before, but at this point I'm not going to give in to buying any from them on a whim as I sometimes thought of doing.
  • edited 2012-02-25 03:18:16
    pfft.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I giggled way too much at pubic static void mane()

Also, that Derpy voice is fine, but underping her eyes is going TOOO FAR
  • edited 2012-02-25 17:35:11
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "...I like the new one more."
    The voice is WAY closer to how it was in my head, now.

"The new voice is okay, but there's no way they should've edited out the name"

"They also un-derped her eyes, which seems like overkill to me."
      "I like Luna. :D Why did Celestia banish her to the moon for a *millennium* just because she wanted eternal night? :[ It seems rather harsh."
      Keep in mind, eternal night probably would have killed a great deal of the living things on the planet given enough time.
      "I don't think it was to punish her so much as because it was the only way she could be defeated at all."
      This too, Luna was full Nightmare Moon mode when she was banished. It could very well be that banishment was the only way to stop her, and Princess Celestia needed the Millennium for the elements of harmony. It might have been the only way to get her sister back.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • It's 4:20 somewhere.
      Rainbow's voice is also different. Could be another actress or Ball half-assing it. It might be the fault of the hasty uploads, but the sound quality also sounded worse. The original voice was admittedly a mistake. Tabitha thought she was voicing a male. But I did like it, it was appropriately cartoony and goofy and it wasn't unreasonable to hear it as a female voice.

Now, it's not clear to me exactly who is responsible for the changes or why, but there's a number of reasons this is disappointing to me. If this scene as it is in the edit was the original, (save for Rainbow Dash being properly voiced and the sound equipment not being fucked up) I think people would still be pretty stoked and satisfied about Derpy, though maybe not as much as if they had heard her name. It's the fact that anyone felt the need to change it at all because of a few idiots getting offended at a sort of character that already exists in most children's cartoons, as well as previously in the show itself (Snails being the best example).

It's like if you made some awesome friends and a couple of them stopped wanting to hang out with you because they were over at your place watching Dave Chappelle, and your stupid little brother started yelling at you all for being racist because you laughed. You want to strangle your little brother, but you can't do anything about it. And you're trying to convince them that he's just being unreasonable, but you're unsure about whether things can go back to normal.

I know it's just cartoon ponies, and people on the internet tend to make mountains out of molehills (I don't doubt there's some chance that I'm doing that now), but what kind of lessons have we been teaching companies like Hasbro? After the creators were allowed to make a little nod to the adult fans that was so well-loved, drama erupted from a small minority that caused someone along the line to feel the need to change it. After that change was made, even more drama popped up. There's so much animosity going around, I can't help but think that Hasbro- or any other company that finds itself fulfilling a similar cultural role (if there ever will be one)- might interpret any sort of dialogue with fans to be too much of a risk to PR. And the people intensely offended by minor things like Derpy's derpiness have been taught that they have the power to go behind the back of a large consensus to change things. That's not something I like to see.

It just feels like a fiasco to me, and it's distressing to watch unfold in the way it is. Things will calm down, and maybe the fans will get what they want, but that all of this happened is an immutable fact, and I'm not sure if the lessons that will be learned from it will result in something good.
    • edited 2012-02-25 21:42:43
      >drama erupted from a small minority

Since when were the "Derpy is ableist" types part of the brony community?
      I assumed that if you give that much of a fuck about what goes on in the show, you're at least in some way part of the brony community.
    • You don't have to be into the show to know about Derpy Hooves (and if you're an asshole, feel persecuted).
      Yeah, I guess.
    • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
      So this exists, apparently:

...Yeah, 90% of what I post in this thread is just stuff I saw on Equestria Daily.
      >You are the Applejack of my eye

So... uh...

So much cheesiness in that pun.

I've been hesitating to listen to it.
    • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
      Oh don't worry, everypony gets an equally bad pun.

Though somehow Twilight Sparkle got off easy. I guess because her character is the one singing, even if it sounds nothing like her.
    • I'm just here to gay the place up
      Not to change the subject, but i want more Daring Do. Much more :3
    • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I keep imagining a Daring-Do themed amusement park ride, for some reason.
    • I'm just here to gay the place up
      Now THATS the kinda stuff I'm talkin bout ;)
    • edited 2012-02-26 03:45:08

I wouldn't doubt that Pinkie got married just so she could play James Bond for a day...

Or whatever the pony equivalent to James Bond is in Equestria.

Anythewho, I got caught up on the show over the last couple days. 

Some of the episodes weren't that great, but a few where really good.

I guess I'm pretty OK with second season. So far, I think I like it about as much as I liked first. 

I guess I feel it "misses" a little more often, but when it "hits" it tends to do REALLY good. 
      Yeah, if you liked the first one, I have a hard time figuring out how you'd not like the second.
    • edited 2012-02-26 14:29:47

So, "Hearts Warming Eve" really made as mostly me rethink pony history. Obviously there was some tension between the different races, but it seems influences of the past still exist today.

This was probably not intentional, but it seems Ponyville has mostly earth ponies, Canterlot mostly unicorns, and Cloudsdale has pretty much got to be exclusively pegasi.

Celestia and Luna also didn't seem to exist yet in the time the play showed. I wonder if they where magically created by the existing ponies as a way to keep the peace. 
    • edited 2012-02-26 14:47:59
      Star-Swirl the Bearded is said to be of "the pre-Classical era", and he's alluded to in-story in Hearth's Warming Eve, so I figure that episode depicts the tail-end of the pre-Classical era and the time after the ponies unite is the Classical era, until Discord shows up and wraps Equestria in a chaotic Dark Age.

Interesting stuff.

Hmmm, maybe Luna and Celestia where created to deal with Discord and them being an uber-pony just happened to work out that they where ideal to keep the peace. 

Many of Celestia's royal duties seem to involve making sure the latest emergency is dealt with before it threatens all of Equestia.
      It's interesting to me that Granny Smith is older than Ponyville, because that means the town has only existed a couple generations. When you think about it, Ponyville's population has actually become pretty diverse in that short amount of time, given that it was founded by a family of earth ponies.
    • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
      Zap Apple Jam just brings everyone together, doesn't it?

(No, I'm not just commenting on this because it's one of the only episodes I've seen all the way through. I have no idea what you're talking about.)
    • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
      10th panel should be an image macro thing.
    • edited 2012-02-26 17:02:37

BRAINWAVE.

If we suppose that Celestia and Luna where brought about to bring order to pony kind, maybe Discord was created similarly. He seems to be a combination of many races, so it could have been an attempt to bridge the gap between ponies and others.

Maybe he was a first attempt that aimed too high before Celestia and Luna, or a second attempt that was also just too ambitious. 

He could have also been created by some reactionaries who didn't like all this "order and law" the other two represented. 

^Applebloom has the best expression. 
      >This was probably not intentional, but it seems Ponyville has mostly earth ponies, Canterlot mostly unicorns, and Cloudsdale has pretty much got to be exclusively pegasi.

I think this was intentional. Winter Wrap Up mentioned that Ponyville was traditionally an earth pony community, and they still have traditions from that. It also has farmland, which is something some earth ponies need to make a living.

Canterlot has a higher altitude, which might be handy for unicorn astronomers. Unicorns also seem to comprise the majority of the educated upper-class (study being necessary to make use of some magic, and some of that magic being highly specialized), and a city where the ruling class lives would be a good home. There's also access to ancient libraries that would take a long time to duplicate elsewhere.

I don't think I need to explain Cloudsdale. It's obvious enough that only Pegasi can live there, and some need to in order to control the weather. 
    • edited 2012-02-26 17:22:07

The ponies are engineers of there own segregation!

Though it might only be these three towns for the most part.

It sounds like there are larger metropolises that probably support more diversity, and we see less of them because the three cities are pretty close to each-other.  Though Manehattan has gotta be pretty close. 

The writers don't seem to spend much time thinking of geography when they create all these places.
      It bugged me that no one was aware of how Applejack did in "The Last Roundup" considering Canterlot has got to be only a few hours away by train. 

None of her friends or family could find the time to watch her, even for a day?
      Could be that the tickets sold out.

Hmmm, that seems reasonable. 
    • edited 2012-02-26 18:24:17

imageimage
    • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
      DISCORDZILLA!

Was this posted anywhere? Whoever made this actually knows their stuff, which is pretty rare for a parody outside the fandom.

• Here's some of what we have to look forward to next episode. I eagerly await Fluttershy's inevitable transformation into a gigantic prick.
    • edited 2012-03-02 08:34:28

Dat smile at the end. /)^3^(\
    • edited 2012-03-02 08:35:29

Whoa, an accidental Doublepost.
    • Also the image Bunny called Discordzilla is terrifying.

I love how pony/Shepard has even more likes than girl/fem!Shep