The Raketen-Stadt

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I can't not see that as Crystal and Imi dancing
    not just dancing

CARAMELLDANSEN
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That GIF goes disturbingly well with "I'm Too Sexy". Don't ask me how I know this. (Hint: Airborne was involved.)
    So, today happens to be the 20th Anniversary of my Existential CrisisTM. I'm not sure what to do to mark this, so I'm just gonna post an appropriate song.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

So, today happens to be the 20th Anniversary of my Existential CrisisTM. I'm not sure what to do to mark this, so I'm just gonna post an appropriate song.

ah, I knew that was coming up

didn't know how to mark the occasion though
    How do you mark such an occasion?

The universe has already one-upped anything I could do anyway.
    how so?
    by killing my father
    oh :(
    Well, it is a big reminder of the inevitability of time.

Still, I feel basically ok.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The [second] argument was called “Achilles,” accordingly, from the fact that Achilles was taken [as a character] in it, and the argument says that it is impossible for him to overtake the tortoise when pursuing it. For in fact it is necessary that what is to overtake [something], before overtaking [it], first reach the limit from which what is fleeing set forth. In [the time in] which what is pursuing arrives at this, what is fleeing will advance a certain interval, even if it is less than that which what is pursuing advanced … . And in the time again in which what is pursuing will traverse this [interval] which what is fleeing advanced, in this time again what is fleeing will traverse some amount … . And thus in every time in which what is pursuing will traverse the [interval] which what is fleeing, being slower, has already advanced, what is fleeing will also advance some amount.
    I should've had a tortoise named "Achilles" in Black Candles

maybe I'll add one
    I know you don't like TV much but you may be able to relate:

Discovering that some forgotten work isn't a hidden gem sucks
    is this comment in reference to anything in particulars
    It is in reference to the general mediocrity of 101 Dalmatians: The Series

I do like Pepper Ann, despite it not being fucking amazing and its fans seeming to be few and far between...
    I don't know what to say about your interest in 101D:TS that I haven't said already
    Well

I was wondering if you've ever read any mediocre obscure books
    uhhhhhhhhhh...can't really think of any

I couldn't seem to get into Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds, but I'm not sure how obscure that really is. I liked his The Third Policeman a lot more...
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I can't not see that as Crystal and Imi dancing

same
  • kill living beings
    Anonus said:

I was wondering if you've ever read any mediocre obscure books

i am here to save the day
    • dot hack ai buster
    • spirits in the wires
    • surreal numbers

it is difficult to remember them because they are obscure. these are just ones i have right in front of me

well, I haven't heard of any of those, so I guess they're probably obscure
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    At Swim-Two-Birds is not particularly obscure.

I must say, I thought it was rather glorious.
    I guess I just didn't "get" it somehow

maybe I will someday
  • edited 2014-05-25 22:37:20
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I'm not sure how obscure Surreal Numbers is, either.

I don't think it's a bad book.  It's more interesting as a demonstration of how a new mathematical system might be developed than for the surreal number system itself.

Although people need to stop calling it a novella.  It's a novella-length philosophical dialogue; the occasional fantasy and romance elements are entirely superficial and pretty pointless.
  • kill living beings
    well, it might be somewhat on my end, since i pretty much can't stand philosophical dialogues. i might also be biased as a mathematical reader since i'm pretty used to how mathematical concepts are developed (not a shitload of random lemmas)

also i don't think it's bad, anonus asked for mediocrity. the other two aren't bad either. spirits in the wires just struck me as the most aggressively paint-my-numbers novel i had ever read, but i still read the whole thing so it's not like it's completely meritless.

i figured it's obscure because i mentioned surreal numbers (i.e. the concept not the book) in a fairly mathy IRC channel and a few people asked what i was talking about, and by extrapolation even more people in the general public aren't going to have heard of it.

anyway i looked up some amazon reviews to see what the masses think
    First of all, a word of advice for the future readers of this book. Do not read it for its story. From the literary point of view, it's bad. Perhaps the only type of reader that will benefit or enjoy this book is the mathematical one.[...]In conclusion, this book is a book about advanced mathematics written in a funny style. Do not expect the story to be good in a literary sense.
    that's from a five star review, and then
    I really like math, but I was left utterly uninspired to fill in the gaps. In the author's defense, he does recommend this text be used as a supplement to another text or class. As such, you might find reason to attempt to complete the ideas, but most of the motivation would have to come from the instructor, as the book just does not make you care. Essentially, his goal would have been more easily reached-and probably bettered-if he forsake this confused dialogue for simply the following: "Here are the axioms for the surreal numbers:... Have fun!"
    from a two star review

and i agree with the former and strongly disagree with the latter (well, the last sentence certainly) even though i'd probably give it 3/5

so like shrug??
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I found it quite intriguing, but I kind of raced through it because at the time I was busy with other things.  I should revisit it once I'm done with resits.
    moo
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Imipolex G Public Library
    ^_^

...near the royal barn, perhaps?
    Sure!
    There's a statue of Patchouli Knowledge outside the entrance
    yay
    hay Anonus do you know what this font is

Cooper Black!
    Is that all? Man, I shoulda known that myself.

It's very 70s-looking
    70s-looking is usually a good thing
    It's actually from the 1920s, but it did have a resurgence in the 1970s
    nonsense, everything good was made in the 70s
    just sayin'