2»

Comments

• "And next up, Spaceballs THE FLAMETHROWER (kids love this one)"
  • There's never enough smug.
  • SomethingAwfulSmugEmoticon.png
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    SELL OUT WITH ME OH YEAH
    SELL OUT WITH ME TONIGHT
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    George Lucas is donating the money from the sale of Lucasfilm to educational charity.  All of it.

And while this will greatly improve the lives countless children, Mr. Article Writer, please tell me again how Lucas ruined your childhood. 
  • He went back in time and beat the guy's dog to death with a model starship.

Trufax.

• My dreams exceed my real life

George Lucas is donating the money from the sale of Lucasfilm to educational charity.  All of it.

And while this will greatly improve the lives countless children, Mr. Article Writer, please tell me again how Lucas ruined your childhood. 
    But don't you see no more Godfather and Taxi Driver is all Lucas's faaaaaaaauuuuulllllltttt
  • Godfather and Taxi Driver

What banal films.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Where the hell are they going to take the story this time?  The original Hans Solo trilogy was good, but the pissed-off teenager on his period trilogy had no backbone.  What the hell?  MORE>?>?
    They have lots and LOTS of source material to chose from. Much of it is crap, but much if it is very well written and would probably transition to film rather well.

Though, they could also just ignore EU material, or at least, use it sparingly. The smart thing to do here would just be set the movies either way before or way after the original trilogy. Then the writers would have the setting to play with but could make new characters, important events, etc...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Lucas totally killed Plan 9 From Outer Space
  • Actually despite my hope for an EU film it's apparently a continuation of the original trilogy.

Cuz

y'know

why not.

• edited 2012-11-01 15:19:25
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Technically most of the EU is a continuation of the original trilogy. 

Hell..and most of it STILL probably contains Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, the droids, Lando...

The only one that ever bit the giant ass moon out of that list, to my knowledge, is Chewie. And he was still in a TON of books, comics, games before that.

Even in Legacy where it's safe to assume all the other characters would be at least dead of old age, Luke shows up as a spirit and, if I recall, R2-D2 has even showed up.

Actually despite my hope for an EU film it's apparently a continuation of the original trilogy.

Cuz

y'know

why not.

Good, maybe they'll nuke the entire post-RotJ EU in the process.  Because it needs it. 
  • I want to see a movie about the Old Republic. Mainly because KOTOR  is the only piece of EU that I've experienced.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I know virtually nothing about the EU.

So my opinion on this is rather moot

I know virtually nothing about the EU.

So my opinion on this is rather moot

do yourself a favor

keep it that way (except for KOTOR, that's about the only thing in the EU that's come off pretty well)
  • edited 2012-11-01 17:37:19

I think there are a lot of positive aspects to the EU.

There's just a little too much there now.

It's like the heroes from the movie had no choice but to to have crazy space adventures every waking moment of their lives.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    $4 billion for Lucasfilm after $4 billion for Marvel. Adjusted for inflation, the Marvel Universe, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones put together are worth as much as Pixar.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Gilda said:

$4 billion for Lucasfilm after $4 billion for Marvel. Adjusted for inflation, the Marvel Universe, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones put together are worth as much as Pixar.

It seems that Disney got a very good deal for Pixar then
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    The next Star Wars cartoon:

YES!

HELL YES!

HELL FUCKING YES!
    #5 going along exactly with what I said above
    ....and #4
  • It seems like that article was mainly "WAH IT'S NOT THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY."

The points raised were certainly valid, but a lot of them weren't nearly as bad as suggested.
  • KJIKJI
    edited 2012-11-01 18:42:45
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • KJIKJI

It seems like that article was mainly "WAH IT'S NOT THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY."

The points raised were certainly valid, but a lot of them weren't nearly as bad as suggested.
    Yesquote.

Also, possibly nit-picky, but it's not Luke's son in Legacy. Though, it is a descendant with the last name of "Skywalker". 

• edited 2012-11-01 22:16:51

On further reflection of that Cracked list, #5 almost seems like a reason why the movies warrant sequels as opposed to not.

It mentions that the last movie nicely wraps things up, but that the books point out that there's still an Empire that's much bigger than the Rebel Alliance out there and now there's simply a power-vacuum. 

But their reasoning seems to be, "BUT THAT'S NOT THE IMPRESSION WE GOT FROM THE MOVIE!" so that this idea is bad. 

One other strange thing I find is that the scene where "The universe celebrates the Emperor's death" was actually added in one of the special editions (and edited once or twice in the subsequent special editions). The Imperial home-world in that scene only had a name and agreed look (city planet) because Lucas used Timothy Zahn's ideas from The Thrawn trilogy. Lucas would go on to use this idea in the prequels. 

It seems odd that Lucas would happily crib ideas created in the EU to color BOTH trilogies but also intend the added scene in Jedi as a sort of "FUCK YOU!" to the entire EU. 

Also the "unofficial stories" part to reference the EU seems like a misnomer. Star Wars has more of a hierarchy of canon that goes Movies > TV Shows > Everything else. Usually anything Star Wars that gets released and sold to the public is technically "official" to some extent, unless it's clearly a gag story (like some of the comics) or something happens in a movie or TV show that was released after the work was created that contradicts it.

Just struck me as a sort of underhanded method of trying to make a point that may reveal that whoever wrote this article, while well informed, may not be all that familiar with the material he/she is using to make their argument from.
    Justice42 said:

On further reflection of that Cracked list, #5 almost seems like a reason why the movies warrant sequels as opposed to not.

Star Wars Episode VII: starring Val Kilmer as the Clone Emperor.
  • KJIKJI
    I'm going to be legit mad if the new Star Wars stars neither Taylor Lautner, Sam Worthington, nor whatever Disney Channel star is hot this week.

Gilda said:

Justice42 said:

Star Wars Episode VII: starring Val Kilmer as the Clone Emperor.
    Well, that'd be more like #4. Which I felt had some decent point, and I sorta figured the general movie going populace is probably not up for the Star Wars epic wet-dream that is the Dark Empire series.