Disney announce new Star Wars Films

edited 2012-10-30 17:33:09 in General Media
Disney have just bought LucasFilm and announce they will be at least a new trilogy of films

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I can't wait to hear complaining based on the genuine fear of them turning Star Wars into what someone who's never seen a Disney movie imagines a Disney movie is.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, if nothing else, Disney romances aren't any worse than that "I hate sand" nonsense
  • I want them to utterly desecrate Star Wars for the lulz.

I want them to utterly desecrate Star Wars for the lulz.

Yes, this.
  • Eh, considering how lackluster the newer movies are, I'm pretty much "whatever" on this.
  • I'm just here to gay the place up
    Can they do worse than Lucas did on the last 3?
  • Can they do worse than Lucas did on the last 3?
    Star Wars: The Jar-Jar Odyssey
  • edited 2012-10-30 20:17:17
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The prequel trilogy isn't particularly rage-inducing to me personally, but I agree with the general consensus that it's not very good.

Admittedly, I kinda like
    Phantom Menace, but mostly for nostalgia reasons.
  • I think these gifs point to just one thing:

Star Wars Episode VII
    Starring PSY

........So Leia is a disney princess now.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    you know

I'm wondering how an airbrushed cartoon Leia would look
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Heck yeah!

I don't care how bad these are, I am going to love them because my childhood!  OHMYGOSHANINDUSTRIALAUTOMATONASTROMECH

As long as they have John Williams doing the sound track, the existence of this is completely justified.  There needs to be more Star Wars if only for the soundtrack.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

........So Leia is a disney princess now.
    I almost fell off my bed laughing at this.

• A Jedi elder skilled in the ways of The Force
  • I actually kind of liked the prequels. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've seen them, but from what I remember they weren't as awful as everyone says. I think it's more a matter of "WAH THEY'RE NOT THE ORIGINALS WAH GEORGE LUCAS IS A HACK" than anything else.
  • I actually kind of liked the prequels. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've seen them, but from what I remember they weren't as awful as everyone says. I think it's more a matter of "WAH THEY'RE NOT THE ORIGINALS WAH GEORGE LUCAS IS A HACK" than anything else.
    This was my position, but then I rewatched them.

The writing was shit.

also, Jar-Jar.
  • The writing was shit.
    But the writing of the originals was only so-so to start with.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Episode 1 is actually not so bad, if you can get past Jake Lloyd's wooden acting and the fact that Jar-Jar is in it. Episode 2 is kind of a drag; all of the main characters phone it in, the plot makes even less sense than E1's did, and seeing people who are already dialing long-distance try to handle a romantic plot is just....it doesn't work well, let me tell ya. 

Episode 3 tried quite a bit harder, adding some actual pathos to the mix, but it still has its silly moments.
  • I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wonder if I should watch the prequels someday

I keep saying that
  • 1. Disney owns Lucasfilms.
    2. Disney owns Marvel.
    3. Episode 7 is scheduled for 2015.
    4. Avengers 2 is scheduled for 2015.

∴ they are the same movie and Hulk is going to rip open an AT-AT
  • I honestly just sort of don't care for Star Wars in general.

Yes I know, nerd heresy.

I think the EU is better.

• I prefer Nato over the EU myself
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    What?  No love for SATO/SEATO?
  • Misread the title as "Disney announce new Star Fox Films" and got severely disappointed

I wonder how Disney will top Jar-Jar
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I need to find that article by a fellow about a year back where he stated that the prequels had wooden acting but the scripts were actually a very well-planned buildup to the original trilogy and the only ones who hated them were your average Bush supporter too dim to understand the subtleties that Lucas employed. That article caused so much mad, it was great

Personally I didn't find the prequels to be all that bad. The Anakin/Padme parts are still cringe-inducing, but everyone's jaw dropped the day that Episode 1's trailer was released and they saw Darth Maul bust out the double-bladed lightsaber and I even had a friend who managed to import the LD from Japan just so he could have fast access to that particular lightsaber battle (Lucas initially hated DVD and refused to release Episode 1 on anything but VHS in the United States for at least two full years. Not making this up.)

If anything, I hope Disney purchasing Lucasfilm means they unfuck the Extended Universe, which would require trashing at least 3/4 of it. For those of you who don't know how fucked the EU is, here's just one example off the top of my head: Remember when Boba Fett fell into the Sarlacc in RotJ? Well, he escaped.
    And fell back in. And escaped. And fell back in.

He fell into the fucking Sarlacc 3 times. The same guy who kills Jedi all the time and has no problem telling Vader to eat a dick. 

• I will say, they didn't seem as confusing as everyone said they were. But episode 2 still seemed muddled.
  • I always laugh when people describe blockbusters as confusing.
    but gaiz i don get inception it hurts my poor lil headbrain
  • edited 2012-10-31 13:57:28

I always laugh when people describe blockbusters as confusing.

THE MATRIX IS TO CONFUSING FOR MEEEEEEEEEEE 8<

People like that should be forced to watch Mulholland Drive repeatedly.
  • edited 2012-10-31 14:56:08
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

For those of you who don't know how fucked the EU is, here's just one example off the top of my head: Remember when Boba Fett fell into the Sarlacc in RotJ? Well, he escaped.

And fell back in. And escaped. And fell back in.

He fell into the fucking Sarlacc 3 times. The same guy who kills Jedi all the time and has no problem telling Vader to eat a dick.
    IT KEEPS HAPPENING!
  • I warned you about the sarlacc bro

i warned you dog

• edited 2012-10-31 18:25:59
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Heh.

As a huge fan of the franchise I think I'm just happy to have new movies coming out. It would be nice if the movies could live up to the originals or be like, an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'll take what I can get or ignore it if it looks like crap.

I mean, between Star Wars: The Clone Wars (the CGI cartoon), The old Christmas special, The Ewoks cartoons, the Ewok MOVIES, some of the horrible children's novels...there's simply no grantee that any given work out of the franchise is going to be great or just horrible-terrible, and it's not like plenty of others have proven that Lucas is not the only one who can take his golden trilogy and engineer some horrid, horrid shit out of it.

I'll just label myself as cautiously optimistic here.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ Man, the Ewoks cartoon was worth it just for having a literal witch of Endor.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Friday made me listen to the theme song, once.

I think she was jealous of my ability to sleep soundly through the night.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Hahaha, you go Friday.

Morag looks ready to seduce King Saul:

Justice42 said:

As a huge fan of the franchise I think I'm just happy to have new movies coming out. It would be nice if the movies could live up to the originals or be like, an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'll take what I can get or ignore it if it looks like crap.

If I was in charge of the EU I'd unceremoniously dump every single fucking thing that happened after RotJ. All of it. 

Take Dark Empire, for instance. It's a beautiful, well-written comic that Dark Horse put out in the 90's that details Palpatine returning because he prepared for such a setback (of dying) by cloning. It's a great story and all, but when you take the prequels into consideration, it reduces Anakin's action of "returning balance to the force" to "returning balance to the force... for five fucking minutes." 

Then Thrawn. Then the Yuuzhan Vong. Darth Caedus. Luke doesn't catch a single fucking break after saving the galaxy. Then they kill Chewie in the most ridiculous matter possible. How could it ever end up that you kill the one character that everyone likes? (besides Han, that is.) What they need to do is right after RotJ, Luke starts the whole Jedi thing back up, lives happily ever after, wait at least a few centuries before the galaxy gets itself fucked again. 
  • Or at least have him face a few more realistic leaderly problems.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Technically they have a story-line that waits a century or two before the galaxy gets fucked again. Though, Legacy is steeped with what happens with the Vong...and the Vong is one of the things I dislike the most of the the EU.

A society based entirely on living creatures... all invisible to the Force. And they kill people as blasphemers for using technology. And how did they come up with that name? Yuuzhin' Bong?
    At the moment I'm installing Star Wars Galaxies to try out the emu server. It's set up pre-"combat upgrade" and "new game enhancements" which means before they let everyone be a Jedi in a game set in the time when there were no Jedi. I've played the game before and one of the things I enjoyed about it was just how damn expansive the game was. 
  • edited 2012-11-01 11:41:14
    BEEFCAKE
    Where the hell are they going to take the story this time?  The original Hans Solo trilogy was good, but the pissed-off teenager on his period trilogy had no backbone.  What the hell?  MORE>?>?
  • Besides I thought Lucas was busy trying to make even more money to wipe Spielburg's ass with,  re-releasing his previous movies with debauchery absolutely necessary improvements.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/01/star-wars-disney-sell-out Here, have this insanely smug article about this.
  • Needs more smug.
    Needs more smug.
    "JG Ballard acidly referred to it as "hobbits in space", and, just as Star Wars nodded back to Tolkien's manichean pantomime, so it paved the way for the epic tedium of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings adaptations" Wasn't enough for you?