General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.

...you usually play without mouselook?

In vanilla Doom (the original levels) it makes virtually no difference, the Z-axis being essentially nonexistent. It's only in later fan levels that it becomes a big deal.
  • kill living beings
    oh yeah i forgot.
  • Many friendships were formed during the /r/place thing.
    the master of Zora's Domain
  • Nice to see something good came out of that. My only knowledge of it is that /r/Paladins was fighting for a spot with some other group for ages and eventually just decided to blot out someone's Pikachu. 
  • Have I mentioned how much fun Paladins is? Because it's really fun. Not necessarily playing it, though I have made a good showing now that I've switched from Pip (they nerfed him and also there's a bug with one of his abilities that they haven't fixed for weeks) to Makoa and Bomb King, but just watching how the community explodes every time Hi-Rez does something wrong. It's like watching the Homestuck fandom in its heydey, but less stressful.

Long story short, Hi-Rez doesn't know how to make an in-game economy that won't piss off the playerbase but will also make them rich, and the entire category of 'flank' champions is just broken.
  • edited 2017-04-10 12:53:24
    "This game that is a reboot/remake/retraux continuation/etc. of an old property shows that the property hasn't aged well" is a take I'm not fond of sans sufficient explanation.

Example: Reviews of Yooka-Laylee. Alright, N64 era collectathon platforming may not have aged well but Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64 are, like, right there, they haven't gone anywhere! It's not like they've been immune to the cold light of day. And people still discover and enjoy those games years later. So I think something else isn't working about these games that was kept in check by the originals.
  • Unrelated:

An Open Letter To All Devs Everywhere

Please stop fucking asking players to use mutually exclusive inputs (like the D-Pad and the left analog stick) in the middle of combat. Looking at you, Kingdom Hearts.

Signed
    Me
  • Also unrelated, but another open letter.

Hello Every Dev Ever, it's me again.

Giving lists of enemies and showing what they dropped is vastly inferior to having a list of items and showing what enemies drop them.

Signed
    Me
  • I got a coupon for 40% off of Inside by Playdead on Steam if anyone wants. I'd like to play the game (and have, in fact, avoided spoilers for it precisely because I've heard it's good enough that I want to experience it for myself), but I'm broke.

It's valid until the 17th.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    i like Persona 5 a lot but I also kind of hate it with the fire of thousands of suns
  • It's preeeeeeetty aggressively Japanese, but if you bought a Persona game I don't know what you were expecting.
  • Bee said:

It's preeeeeeetty aggressively Japanese, but if you bought a Persona game I don't know what you were expecting.

I've heard that sort of description a lot, but can someone actually give a list of characteristics that make something "Japanese" in this sense? (Obviously, we're talking about deeper traits than simply being of Japanese origin.)

(Not arguing with the description nor expressing an opinion on Persona 5. Just felt like it needed clarification.)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Persona games are literally about the lives of Japanese high schoolers in Japanese towns (well, Tokyo in the case of P5.) Japanese culture is kinda key to the whole thing. Including 6 day school weeks in P3/P4/P5.

(Even though I'm pretty sure 6 day school weeks aren't actually a thing in Japan anymore? Although they were in 2008, back when P4 actually came out.)
  • I know they're set in Japan and are about Japanese schoolkids, but that alone doesn't make it "feel" Japanese in a way that makes people describe it as such.

In a smilar sense I remember some other works getting criticized for being superficial/pandering by including elements like these but missing something else. I'm trying to figure out what that "something else" is.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Bee said:

It's preeeeeeetty aggressively Japanese, but if you bought a Persona game I don't know what you were expecting.

it creates this weird feeling of "this dungeon is so bullshit I won't be able to pass it before the statute of limitations on spoilers runs out"
    one of my coworkers took four days off last week just to play that.
  • Hyper Light Drifter is a fun 2D Dark Souls-esque game with really, really pretty pixel art.

Just putting that out there.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've heard nothing but good things about it from people I trust that basically boil down to that. Looks and sounds quite fun.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-11 03:39:01

Bee said:

I've heard that sort of description a lot, but can someone actually give a list of characteristics that make something "Japanese" in this sense? (Obviously, we're talking about deeper traits than simply being of Japanese origin.)

(Not arguing with the description nor expressing an opinion on Persona 5. Just felt like it needed clarification.)
    It literally looks like a manga.  A really, really campy one full of sentai poses, high schoolers going out to kill invisible spirits with highly impractical weapons and armor, oddly foul-mouthed foot-high animal mascots, dating sims, gun-fu, and everything.  And almost the entire soundtrack is J-pop.  I seriously don't know how much more aggressively Japanese you can get.

And yeah Hyperlight Drifter is really nice.
  • Hyper Light Drifter is a fun 2D Dark Souls-esque game with really, really pretty pixel art.

Just putting that out there.
    Dark-Souls-esque in what sense?
    Bee said:

Bee said:

It literally looks like a manga.  A really, really campy one full of sentai poses, high schoolers going out to kill invisible spirits with highly impractical weapons and armor, oddly foul-mouthed foot-high animal mascots, dating sims, gun-fu, and everything.  And almost the entire soundtrack is J-pop.  I seriously don't know how much more aggressively Japanese you can get.
    Ah.
  • Non-verbal storytelling, exploring environments after things went determinedly foul in them, combat that emphasizes recognizing attack cues and dodging and punishes pure offense and getting hit, limited healing ability that forces you to stand still and potentally get hit.
  • I have very little interest in Dark Souls but I'd be totally willing to give HLD a shot
  • I was given Guacamelee yesterday and it is pretty fun.
  • Guacamelee is one of my favorite games ever.  Also copious mariachi music.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I should try playing HLD someday.
  • Bee said:

Guacamelee is one of my favorite games ever.  Also copious mariachi music.

It is a game that I find supernaturally easy (I think I got to the end in a single evening, and got the alternate ending in two) but the whole thing is so well crafted that I can't complain. Especially at that price
  • I had it on the Vita and remember getting a decent way through before leaving it unfinished because the screen got broken. (Same reason I never got to finish Persona 4. Struggle.)

It was fun. I think I have the updated PC rerelease in my Steam or Humble somewhere but I haven't broken it out yet.
  • http://store.steampowered.com/app/208140/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_1#app_reviews_hash

The Endless Space Collection is just $1 on Steam for another two days.

Anyone got opinions on this game?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The remastered version of Planescape: Torment is out on Steam
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Bamco are making... something?
  • I really fucking hope that Prepare To Dine is the actual name of the game.

They seem to be trying to expand on FromSoft's own Dark Souls formula, at a glance, though it's too early to say that for sure I guess.

I want the name of the protagonist. I love her, she is my edge daughter.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I have been thoroughly enjoyed Yooka-Laylee. It really has the spirit of the Banjo Kazooie games. The puzzles are a little easy on the surface, but you do have to do a good bit of exploring to get all of each level's collectables. Admittedly, I'm still in the first world, so the puzzles may get more difficult later on. I'm also REALLY digging the soundtrack. 

It's very fun all around, and I'm not disappointed ^_^
  • Yeah it sounded like the less glowing reviews of that game basically came down to "It's too much like Banjo-Kazooie".  The only thing it really lacks that Banjo didn't is being made in the 90s.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Honestly, a modern Banjo Kazooie is exactly what I wanted, personally! Not to say some things couldn't have been improved on. I do think there are some flaws and that they perhaps became a little too wrapped up in re-creating the original, but... a re-creation of the original is pretty much exactly what I, at least, was asking for to begin with. I can hardly get upset over them giving their kickstarter backers the game they were saying they wanted, you know?
  • Bee said:

Yeah it sounded like the less glowing reviews of that game basically came down to "It's too much like Banjo-Kazooie".  The only thing it really lacks that Banjo didn't is being made in the 90s.

There were also reviews that said it was not enough like Banjo-Kazooie.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Bee said:

Yeah it sounded like the less glowing reviews of that game basically came down to "It's too much like Banjo-Kazooie".  The only thing it really lacks that Banjo didn't is being made in the 90s.

There were also reviews that said it was not enough like Banjo-Kazooie.
    "So you want a realistic down to earth game that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?"
  • "Magic robots AND multiple villains named after euphemisms for vag hair.  But, you know, realistic."
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-17 01:38:17
    Just cleared Destiny Tower in Super Mystery Dungeon.  99 floors of maxed-out terrors, most of whom can AOE the entire room for just shy of 100 damage.  Thankfully everyone in my party, including my third, was over 130 on entering.  By the end, the stat boosts from unused emera pushed us all to 200+ and most of those AOEs had dropped to 50-ish.

Despite the very rough start where I wasted most of my berries and reviver seeds in the first 15 floors, it actually didn't go that badly.  Probably thanks in large part to a timely Sun's Blessing emera that suppressed most hostile weather and made Fennekin even more hilariously powerful.  I opened up just about every floor by vaporizing everything in the room with Heat Wave.  And then I ended up loading her up with Barrage, Type Bulldozer, Power Boost Y, Lullaby, Confusing Stare, and Effect Boost.  Everyone in that party was a steamroller by the end, but she probably could've jumped out a window and climbed the pile of bodies she made all the way to the top.  Heat Wave was hitting for over 500 on the last floor, and anything that somehow didn't die instantly was usually debilitated.

Then again she's Mew, so I guess it's fitting that she became Death, destroyer of Pokemon.  I swear I just picked a Fennekin partner because it was adorable and I wanted to cover my type weakness -- I had no idea it was by far your best ranged teammate in the game.  Does this look like the face of mercy to you?

So yeah.  Game done, except for the level 5 solo dungeon that's basically impossible.  That was a very satisfying PMD.  I really liked how there was never any pressure to evolve, for stats or collection.

Also, embarrassing confession: it took until the last three dungeons in the postgame for me to figure out you could use excess emera directly for semi-permanent stat boosts that last the whole dungeon.  Up till then I'd just been chucking them at the walls for dust to try and reroll for more useful ones.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Re:Yooka-Laylee

The most legitimate criticisms I've heard of it is not that it's too much like Kazooie, but that it's too much like Tooie; that is, it doubles down on the sheer size of the worlds without caring about the content within, resulting in really huge worlds that feel a bit bland and lifeless.

And from what I've seen of the game, I definitely agree. My favorite of the three is still Banjo-Kazooie, because every single world is just jam packed full of stuff, and it feels like there's always something to do around every corner.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-17 17:18:55
    Huh.  I liked Tooie way better, didn't think it felt lifeless for its size at all.
  • Beat FFXIII last night. The ending was not appreciably worse than anything that preceded it, I suppose, though I struggle to call it "good."

What's the rest of the XIII series like? Fossilmaiden said Lightning Returns was good, a concept I can't even begin to grasp.
  • edited 2017-04-18 16:44:52
    The few things I've seen that I might enjoy in the XIII series were the Gilgamesh and Ultros fights in XIII-2. But y'know, DLC. :/
  • The FF13 sequels were at least more coherent in general, mostly owing to everything already having been hashed out (however badly).  Lightning Returns had an interesting gimmick, sort of like an ADHD X-2.  But the downside is that the only playable character is the most boring one.

Let's just say these are probably good candidates for Gamefly or buying used.