It's weird discovering that things you loved as a kid actually suck.

2»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    lee4hmz said:

Fouria: Yeah, on some episodes they really laid it on thick with the in-jokes, even more so than Animaniacs did (and A! did it all the time, so that's saying something).

Yeah, I realized after I posted that, all my complaints about TTA apply just as much to A!  Both shows had slapstick and vulgarity and metafiction in spades.  The difference (IMO) is that in A! those were vehicles for humour, not substitutes for it.
    Frosty said:

Everyone wanted a piece of the mascot platformer pie. ^_^

I think Banjo-Kazooie using voice samples to make the characters "grunt" instead of talking is funny, and I think it is kind of a way of making fun of bad voice acting in games! Also it was easier to do technically. : ) Banjo-Kazooie is the best mascot platformer and holds up like a footprint on the moon!

Truer words never spoken.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Yeah, Banjo-Kazooie is basically the pinnacle of Collectathon gaming.
  • edited 2012-09-10 14:16:12

most of the stuff i enjoyed as a kid has held up kinda well: The Hives, The Mars Volta (who i never stopped liking), Johnny cash, William Nicholson books (both the wind singer series and his Seeker one which was less known and still awesome), Tarka the Otter, Pinky and the Brain, early Pokemon games, GTA2, various Tony Hawk's Pro Skaters...

mostly it's stuff from my early teen years which didn't hold up so well. i read Eragon before Lord of the rings, so used to like the former but slowly came to recognise the horribly purple writing and mostly-bad characters and really generic fantasy things. then of course i realised LOTR was basically the same thing but miles better. it shows that he wrote it when he was like 15. i also used to really like Muse. origin of symmetry is still a good album for what it is and absolution has its moments but beyond that, eugh.

• also at one point i had, i think, five kaiser chiefs CDs

i only bought 1 myself and liked it back then but then my dad kept getting me more and more over a period of years. eventually i had a cd clearout and threw them all out. i think the last 2 or 3 were still in the wrapping

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    sunn wolf said:

mostly it's stuff from my early teen years which didn't hold up so well. i read Eragon before Lord of the rings, so used to like the former but slowly came to recognise the horribly purple writing and mostly-bad characters and really generic fantasy things. then of course i realised LOTR was basically the same thing but miles better. 

I think you'll find anything under the label "high fantasy" will be yet another variant of LotR

What's really funny is seeing someone watching the movies or discussing them and then complaining about how the movies totally ripped off DnD and how they sneak around it renaming halflings to "hobbits"
    Someone seriously said that? Lol.

I remember thinking the Edge Chronicles were a fairly creative take on the genre.  No idea how they'd hold up now.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Power Rangers,

Just Power Rangers.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I still like power rangers even I rarely watch the show
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I meant to say anymore, stupid mobile
  • Is it 8ad that this made me think of the l8est Homestuck upd8?
    You mean that isn't what inspired this?
  • No, I thought of it because I saw the Nostalgia Critic's review of the Pagemaster.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I still like The Pagemaster...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Sure, it's far from a masterpiece, but it's not mind-bogglingly bad. It's kind of charming.
  • I never said it was mind-bogglingly bad. But I absolutely adored that movie when I was younger. Now? Eh.
  • You know, I wonder how Wishbone holds up. I feel like it's difficult to successfully relay the enjoyment of one medium while using a completely different one.
  • I wonder if I'd still love Daria if I watched it again now.
  • I watched it a few years ago, which was recent-y and I liked it.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

You know, I wonder how Wishbone holds up. I feel like it's difficult to successfully relay the enjoyment of one medium while using a completely different one.

They had a Jack Russell terrier playing Romeo and Mr. Darcy opposite actresses. How can that not hold up?
  • Generation One of My Little Pony.

Adored the cartoons as a child (rewatched them on video all the time), rewatched them not long ago and wondered how I got out unscarred for life. And holy crap the voice acting and animation sucked.
  • I shall have to try and find some Daria to watch and see if I still like it as much as I did when it was first on.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Transformers has been mentioned.

TNMT is pretty horrible. 

Army of Darkness is pretty bad...

Grim Adventures still seems good, last time I watched. Maybe not the first season, but it holds up OK.

I always kinda new The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was not a good show, but Sonic:SATAM hasn't aged well either. :/ 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    What are you talking about? Army of Darkness is great. Although Evil Dead 2 is better.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I dunno, just a little TOO dated for me, I guess. 

Oh. I like dated things. Reminds me of Time.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Last I saw of AOSTH I liked it for its cheese and silliness...

Why don't people like that, anyway? At least if they can tell it's there, there's probably a lot of popular cheesy stuff that the public doesn't see as such.
    Cheese and silliness is fun.
    And tasty.