It's weird discovering that things you loved as a kid actually suck.

edited 2012-09-09 11:53:10 in General
Like, for example, The Pagemaster. That was one of my favorite movies when I was younger, but now? It's pretty awful. Or Castlevania: Dracula X. Not exactly bad, but not as great as a lot of other Castlevania games.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh goodness, the Land Before Time sequels. :o
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I imagine you're talking about the Super Nintendo version.  I have mixed feelings about that game myself, because I played before I ever got around to getting a pirated version of the PC-Engine game (which is fucking phenomenal) just a few years later. There's a lot of things I love about it, but yeah, the execution overall was rather poor. 
  • Fouria G said:

Oh goodness, the Land Before Time sequels. :o

• I loved Jingle All the Way as a wee child-creature. Caught it on TV again a few years ago and it's cheesy as hell.
    It's pretty heavily flawed in places.  It's a laugh, though, and most of the gameplay is alright, Big's levels aside.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    My goodness, are there any kids' films or cartoons from when we were kids that didn't suck?

Well there was the Disney Renaissance, a whole decade with only a couple of stinkers (cough Hercules cough).
  • I dunno, I still like most of the cartoons I watched when I was younger. CN's early 2000s stuff.
    Fouria G said:

It's pretty heavily flawed in places.  It's a laugh, though, and most of the gameplay is alright, Big's levels aside.

Yeah. Just some of the rather grievous glitches they didn't correct for the XBLA port are...yeah.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    @Fouria: You mean the Dexter's Lab to Courage era?
  • I suppose? I liked those but my favorite of that lot was always Ed Edd N Eddy.
  • edited 2012-09-09 15:03:02
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Ah, I could never get into that (or Courage or Powerpuff Girls, for that matter). I did love Toonami in the early 2000s, when it featured a bunch of Gundam series. At the time I also liked the '80s shows they reran like Thundercats, but um, yeah. :P
  • edited 2012-09-09 14:57:52

WHEN you have identical quadruplets it must be hard to tell them apart.

To help teachers and classmates tell which Tan was which their parents from Shenzhen in south China's Guangdong Province decided they had to take action.

They shaved numbers into their heads.

The
    identical six-year-olds from Shenzhen look so much alike that their
    mother and father are often unable to pick them apart, prompting the
    unusual solution.

"My sons are identical, even to me," said mother Tan Chaoyun.

"Even now, their father can't tell which one is which.

"Sometimes, he punishes the second one for something the third one has done."

lol posted in wrong thread.

• Gilda said:

My goodness, are there any kids' films or cartoons from when we were kids that didn't suck?

The Iron Giant, The Princess Bride, Toy Story.....
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I used to love the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. I made an effort to watch it every week. Now, I can't help but think of it as incredibly cheesy.

I imagine this same thing would apply to Captain Planet and Megaman NT Warrior if I watched either of them regularly. I only caught a couple episodes of them back when they were still around, though.
  • I used to love the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. I made an effort to watch it every week. Now, I can't help but think of it as incredibly cheesy.

I ACTIVATE MY TRAP CARD!

TOO LATE YUGI
  • The first YuGiOh anime is redeemed by YuGiOh Abridged, and the card game is legitimately fun.

Gilda said:

The Iron Giant, The Princess Bride, Toy Story.....
    You were a kid when Princess Bride came out? :O

Toy Story is technically '90s Disney, so nyeh. And Iron Giant was indeed amazing.

So I guess a better question is, what cartoons hold up?
  • edited 2012-09-09 15:07:34
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^^Oh, no! There's no way I can win now! Unless... (draws exactly the card I need with the power of ancient Egyptian cheating magic uh I mean FRIENDSHIP AND THE HEART OF THE CARDS) Yes!

^^I can definitely agree with that.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    The Princess Bride was made in the year I was born.
  • edited 2012-09-09 15:31:17
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-09 15:40:08
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^^ ... oh man, I thought it was made in like 1978, not 1987. Like when Columbo was on the air and before Andre the Giant had to compete with Hulk Hogan.
  • You were a kid when Princess Bride came out? :O
    No, but I watch it as a kid. And Toy Story does not count as Disney because Pixar was not owned by Disney back then.

Good cartoons: Umm, well, I still think The Magic School Bus, Animaniacs and Arthur were good.

Ahh Yu-gi-oh, so badass when I was in 6th grade. You know, after a season or two it just gets so repetitive. Goofy premise aside, the fact that the main character was invincible most of the time got kinda dull for me even as a kid.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's bizarre discovering that Grim & Evil wasn't very good.

I used to love it; it was probably the highlight of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays for me.
    Anonus said:

It's bizarre discovering that Grim & Evil wasn't very good.

I used to love it; it was probably the highlight of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays for me.
    This was more or less how I felt on rewatching Tiny Toon Adventures.
  • I recall liking The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy when I last saw it, but even that was awhile ago.

fun fact: for years I pictured Chuck Norris as Hoss Delgado.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I just thought of a cartoon that I used to love watching but can't remember enough of to know how well it holds up: Pepper Ann. Anyone else here ever seen it?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I liked Britney Spears' songs a lot when I was a kid.
  • The blue-haired kid's name was Milo. He was a dude. :P
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Fouria: TTA could be really, really good at times, but like I've said before in other threads, it was also really unsure of itself, and some of the humor has not aged well.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I tried to watch the 80s Transformers cartoon a while back.

I can't believe I was that stupid as a kid.
  • The G1 cartoon was by far the worst, being little more than a glorified toy commercial. Things like "plot", "characterization" and most grievously "actually making the robots look cool" would only come up later.
  • Y'know, one cartoon that I think didn't age too badly was The Weekenders.

It only ended in 2004, yes, but 8 years is a good while, and although it does kind of seem like a product of its time at points it's not too bad a watch now.

Same thing with Mission Hill, although to be fair I discovered that in 2010.
    I saw the GI Joe cartoon for the very first time only a few years ago while I was in the Marines

I just hope to high heaven that millions of years from now when some alien culture digs through the artifacts, that whatever's left that showcases the US Military isn't GI Joe
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've seen bits and pieces of it.

I think of it as a shining example of '80s cheese.
  • there really should be more ninjas in the military though.

Just saying.

who needs Ninjas when you have Force Recon, though
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I never liked GI Joe, for some reason...

What I find more interesting is when I see something I haven't seen in many years, and I still like it, but in a different way.
  • edited 2012-09-09 20:15:23
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The only thing I remember clearly about what I've seen of the 80s GI Joe cartoon is Cobra Commander falling victim to that zombie snake fungus in the movie. And honestly, that says more about what I find interesting than the show itself.

What I find more interesting is when I see something I haven't seen in many years, and I still like it, but in a different way.

I think that accurately describes how I feel about the Pokémon anime. Even though it's even cheesier than Yu-Gi-Oh!, I find that it still has sort of a charm to it.

I liked Britney Spears' songs a lot when I was a kid.

Weirdly I was kind of the opposite here; when I was a kid I hated Britney Spears songs, now I like some of them.  They often make me feel kinda nostalgic.
    lee4hmz said:

Fouria: TTA could be really, really good at times, but like I've said before in other threads, it was also really unsure of itself, and some of the humor has not aged well.

I did learn about They Might Be Giants from it, so that was a good thing.  I dunno, on rewatch it just seemed kinda puerile and too heavy with injokes and self-congratulation.  Maybe I didn't see enough of it though.

Animaniacs holds up much better, I think.
  • For the most part...

The things I enjoyed in my childhood hold up surprisingly well.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Fouria: Yeah, on some episodes they really laid it on thick with the in-jokes, even more so than Animaniacs did (and A! did it all the time, so that's saying something).
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Disney has stayed real good, and most of my old video games are great.

And then there's this.

Dear god this game aged horribly. The game itself is still rather fun to play, but the voice acting? Oh dear god, all of the cheesy quips and one-liners are terribly unfunny...
  • edited 2012-09-10 02:25:09
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

The G1 cartoon was by far the worst, being little more than a glorified toy commercial. Things like "plot", "characterization" and most grievously "actually making the robots look cool" would only come up later.

It's really weird if you were a kid watching Beast Wars, and it turns out all that old Transformers lore was... well, G1.
  • My first Transformers cartoon was the offbeat Armada, which had Sideways and Tidal Wave, making it better than any other Transformers cartoon.
  • My dreams exceed my real life