i have no words

13»

Comments

• By "we" I meant me and the rest of the Catholics, not you.

Actually, my wording was pretty bad regardless, because I don't believe that.

• Kexruct said:

By "we" I meant me and the rest of the Catholics, not you.

ithink he meant that you can't talk for all catholics, so you shouldn't say "me and the rest of the Catholics"
  • Kexruct said:

The list of Christian groups that refer to themselves as Catholics is quite extensive.

• edited 2012-09-07 21:11:15

From what I understand, Thatcher draws a similar reaction over in your area of the world. I blame misogyny, pure and simple (see, we can play these underhanded cards too.) 

nah, Palin never actually ran your country. from my understanding: Thatcher was pretty horrible and did a wonderful job of dismantling unions, promoting awful corporatism, selling off nationalised institutions to the highest bidder and completely fucking with large sections of the economy and then firmly putting all of Britain's economic eggs in the high finance basket. all those eggs are still in that basket over here and it's only the Green party who have even the faintest ambitions of removing them. the banking crisis hasn't hit us as hard as the euro crisis has hit some countries, but our economy is still shite and it is because so much of it is based on the banks. thanks Maggie! sorry, Dame Maggie. ugh.

of course to some people she was a hero who saved the country from being held to ransom by the unions and brought this country up to a respectable economic position in the world, but L-O-L id rather the venture capitalists got out and we had the economy of moldova in all honesty. and that we still had some unions with teeth other than Bob fucking Crow and his crew of striking train drivers

Palin has said some stupid stuff and gets a lot of 'hur dur she a woman, shes dumb because shes a woman, it terrible'. nobody will dispute that Thatcher was smart. you get the odd accusation of her being a frigid bitch or whatever but while i do agree (wow see that right there) that a lot of the palin bashing is misogynistic, however there are a lot of people over here who hate thatcher not because she was a woman but because she was goddamn Thatcher, i wouldnt compare Palin and Thatcher. two different situations and two different eras.

good on her for being a woman and becoming the prime minister but i dont like her as a politician, no not at all.

If she was pushing this as legislation, that's different. If you can show me where she was pushing either of these as actual legislation (rather than holding a  personal opinion) then I'll agree with your assessment. 

one thing about palin and lgbt: shes almost certainly not going to support campaigns for gay people to be able to adopt a child or get married. and that is discrimination being pushed as actual legislation. i can judge her as awful based on that.

come to think of it would you include gay couples in your definition of 'stable two-parent marriages'?

• Palin is mostly disliked for saying some very dumb things and for almost becoming the vice president of the United States.

That's about the long and short of it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Frosty said:

We Catholics believe homosexuality is a sign from God that you should be celibate, which doesn't seem too bad to me.
    That is basically telling someone to cut out their genitals. That does sound bad to me.

Better than most.
  • Kexruct said:

Frosty said:

We Catholics believe homosexuality is a sign from God that you should be celibate, which doesn't seem too bad to me.
    That is basically telling someone to cut out their genitals. That does sound bad to me.

Better than most.
    If you claim to represent an absolute moral standard "Better than most" don't cut it.
  • edited 2012-09-07 23:05:44

If you think that a  person's opinion on personal matters such as
    this gives you license to  to judge them as awful, you're going to walk a
    very lonely road through life.
    (*Glasses*)

I'll survive.

• edited 2012-09-07 23:12:09

Kay, here's the rub:

I've always prided myself on tolerating others. But if their beliefs are actively in opposition to what I value most, my hopes, my dreams, I have absolutely every fucking right to object.

For me, this isn't some abstract "Culture war", I'm stuck here in the trenches fighting for everything that's important to me.

Capiche?
  • edited 2012-09-07 23:15:49

Kexruct said:

If you claim to represent an absolute moral standard "Better than most" don't cut it.

Okay.

You know me right?

Do I seem like I would ever claim to represent an absolute moral standard?

• edited 2012-09-07 23:15:36
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-09-07 23:20:44

Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

Okay.

You know me right?

Do I seem like I would ever claim to represent an absolute moral standard?

Catholic doctrine maintains that the Church is infallible when it dogmatically teaches a doctrine of faith or morals.
    Iunno, but I think the whole "Infallibility" thing implies that the church would be right.
  • I'm a fairly liberal Catholic.

• everyone knows marijuana prohibition is absurd but nobody is going to do anything about it any time soon. especially not in america
  • edited 2012-09-08 01:16:36
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    SunshineWerewolf said: Corporal Forsythe said:

one thing about palin and lgbt: shes almost certainly not going to support campaigns for gay people to be able to adopt a child or get married. and that is discrimination being pushed as actual legislation. i can judge her as awful based on that.
    come to think of it would you include gay couples in your definition of 'stable two-parent marriages'?

Oh yes. I would put any two adults who put their children's interest before their own (and don't simply offer up lip service to this concept) into this definition. Unfortunately, this arrangement is deteriorating in the United States at an alarming rate because our culture doesn't shame irresponsibility anymore -- instead they go after the people who are expected to go along with this broken system and don't, like Palin and Allen West. And they're fucking vicious about it, too. Like verbally attacking Palin's kids (her
    kids) whenever the opportunity arises. The woman hasn't been politically relevant in almost four years but her name alone still makes the left rage and panic.  In fact, I'm sure that the folks who foam at their mouth over her couldn't tell you one thing she actually achieved or fucked up in her short political career -- hell, I like her and I don't even know what all she's accomplished besides being a governor of a tundra and a VP run. 

Frosty said:

I... really never cared so much about Palin, and insulting her children seems like the sort of vapid, vitriolic celebrity gossip that one would find in a tabloid. :o

Just recently Wayne Brady cracked a joke about Trig Palin's down syndrome at the Roseanne roast. He didn't actually pen the joke itself, but he still used the line.  Everyone in the audience heard it, and to their credit, they booed him. There's even more involving her other kids that the news has covered. 

• edited 2012-09-08 03:38:59
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Nobody really cares about Sarah Palin or Comedy Central's dumb roasts, what were you arguing about before?
  • I don't give half a damn about her kids. I'm sure her kids are fine.

Palin was legitimately not a good governor (see the infamous Bridge to Nowhere), but that has nothing to do with her parenting skills.

Also I don't think I've heard anyone who's actually in politics mention Palin since she dropped off the scene, she wrote a memoir pretty recently which is why anyone still talks about her.

everyone knows marijuana prohibition is absurd but nobody is going to do anything about it any time soon. especially not in america

I think prohibition in general is quite silly, but I still wish people wouldn't smoke weed.

I am rather conflicted on this subject, obviously.

Kay, here's the rub:

I've always prided myself on tolerating others. But if their beliefs are actively in opposition to what I value most, my hopes, my dreams, I have absolutely every fucking right to object.

For me, this isn't some abstract "Culture war", I'm stuck here in the trenches fighting for everything that's important to me.

Capiche?

The entire concept of "culture war" needs to just kind of stop existing. 

Anyone who buys into that Lib vs. Con shit needs to get out of their house more. I am a very staunch liberal, and I still have friends who are Republicans or (gawsp) Ron Paul supporters. Now, I would not be friendly with anyone who is Conservative to an extent where it makes it impossible to talk to them without them bringing up their beliefs, and I do know several people like that, but that's not the majority. 

I think he means he's allowed to object to somebody who objects to how he lives.
  • Oh sorry that second paragraph kind of just stemmed from the first, it wasn't directed at Naney.

No, I agree with that.

• @Frosty

No no no no no. *I* do not believe that.
    Then why bring it up?
  • I just figured it was relevant.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Kexruct said:

@Frosty

No no no no no. *I* do not believe that.

You really should've mentioned that before.

I think it should be noted that just because you're Catholic doesn't mean you have to agree with everything the church says. To give an example (albeit an unrelated one), there's a whole bunch of surveys where a very high number of Catholics disagree with the church's stance that contraception is wrong. I'm sure there are also more than a few Catholics who disagree with the stance that being gay is wrong.
  • Kexruct said:

Here, let me quote a previous post of mine.
  • edited 2012-09-08 12:38:19
  • Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

Actually, my wording was pretty bad

• Trust me, I know.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Basically, everyone is stupid and we should just stop this conversation.

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION DERAIL.
  • I want to see that show.

When I was in San Francisco, I went to a sushi place where they played an episode of it, but I didn't watch it because SPOILERS.

Aliroz_ said:

Basically, everyone is stupid and we should just stop this conversation.

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION DERAIL.

Thanks, but I don't think anyone in this thread put out a want ad or a request for a referee. 

How did we get here.

Anyways, the TexasGOP says that the "critical thinking" bit was a mistake, but they can't fix it until 2014.
  • See, when a party automatically takes offense to something requiring "critical thinking," that's a problem.

Critical thinking is such an important skill and it makes me wonder how it was presented to make the GOP reject it. I'd like to think it's for a good reason; they've tried to push some really stupid shit onto kids through the education system before (for instance, in NYC they're chopping up the language used to remove "potentially offensive" words such as "birthday." Shudder.) I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push some sort of material in there regarding religion, and religion has absolutely no place for discussion in public schools.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Not sure I agree; it's an important part of American culture.  Schools shouldn't be pushing a particular opinion on kids, obviously, but I would think it's important that they know at least a little about the Bible and the different religions and denominations in America, stuff like that.
    On that I agree, as long as it ends there. 
  • edited 2012-09-09 15:45:08
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "I think it should be noted that just because you're Catholic doesn't mean you have to agree with everything the church says. To give an example (albeit an unrelated one), there's a whole bunch of surveys where a very high number of Catholics disagree with the church's stance that contraception is wrong. I'm sure there are also more than a few Catholics who disagree with the stance that being gay is wrong."

Over 50% (in America!), in fact.