i have no words

edited 2012-09-07 11:01:23 in General

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

http://www.texasgop.org/about-the-party

Comments

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I'm a proponet for critical thinking skills being pushed in school but I'm curious as to exactly what has the GOP raising a red flag over this program. The first thing that comes to mind is the creationism debate but I really doubt it's as simple as that one issue. 
  • edited 2012-09-07 13:30:50
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It sounds like it's some sort of "don't you dare give our good red-white-and-blue Christian kids your pinko Commie science crap!" thing to me, too. :P I'm wondering if we're essentially seeing people who still think the Cold War is being fought, just like there's still people who think the Civil War is.
  • We oppose the teaching of
    critical thinking skills
    i mean, if people learn anything from school, it should be critical thinking skills.

And at least trig
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • there is a 'critical thinking' a-level in britain but not that many people do it. it's mainly a private school kinda subject. i did 'general studies' instead which is basically a zero-effort subject with little worth, except it gave me enough As for my uni to give me £1000 and hence i was able to buy my drum kit. thank you, useless subject, for earning me a drum kit

but yeah, saying 'we oppose teaching critical thinking and we oppose children questioning their own and their parents' beliefs' is just uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Frosty said:

At least the anti-intellectual idiocy of America is conveniently gathered under one banner.

That's not true at all. Stupidity is the one element that every group gets their equal share of. 
  • Texas seems to have extra stupid
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    There are parts of Texas that I hear aren't so bad, but I'm sure that as soon as I write this, there'll be another loudmouth somewhere on the Internet making the entire state look bad again.
  • edited 2012-09-07 17:42:19
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I should note that us Texans feel the same way about states like California and Massachusetts as you two do about us.  We make our share of silly decisions, but so far they haven't boiled over into handing out credit card readers free to bring panhandlers and beggars into the space age like Berkeley or collectively lose our shit over a hard drive setting known as master/slave like LA County did. 
  • i'm from Minnesota,

we are more awesomer than any other state
    Forsythe: Yeah, once you get a card swipe, you're not a bum, you're an entrepreneur. :lol: And yeah, the master-slave thing was incredibly silly even before LA rose a stink about it; thankfully, SATA ended that little wiring nightmare.
  • rural northern Texas, parts of Kentucky, Maine and the entirety of Appalachia seem to have extra stupid

ftfy
  • edited 2012-09-07 17:50:44
    Frosty said:^^ Why would that be a big deal? "Master/slave" is simply how it works.

Because there's people out there desperate to find racism
    anywhere and point it out (to show off how vigilant and enlightened they think they are.)
  • edited 2012-09-07 17:55:29
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What Forsythe said, but as for the "before" part? It's because it was a quirk of the 1980s-vintage Western Digital add-in board IDE was based on, and it made setting up more than one drive a headache until they finally fixed it in the mid-1990s (both by clarifying the protocol and adding an extra port on the motherboard).
  • edited 2012-09-07 17:55:09
  • Frosty said:

At least the anti-intellectual idiocy of America is conveniently gathered under one banner.

Son you have clearly never been to Pennsylvania. Here's a collection of quotes from memory illustrating the stupidity of my home state. Namely, Carbon County.

college is for fancy people who are trying to be president.

I'm not racist. I just think people of different colors shouldn't live together. Cuz then we try to kill each other and stuff.

just because you can prove it doesn't mean it's true.

Science is a bunch of fancy people in lab coats who think we're all monkeys.

None of those are from the same person.

• Middle two. Girl up top is a Ron Paul supporter, dude on the bottom is a Democrat.

I have to wonder what people who don't want to go to college or learn a trade would want to do with their lives. We can't all be celebrities, but it seems that's exactly what some people want to be (and without even trying, either).
  • Truth be told though this place is pretty apolitical. Most people here don't vote and are quite proud of the fact that they don't vote. Much for the same reason they're all proud of being a bunch of uneducated inbreds actually no, that's an insult to both people who are uneducated through no fault of their own and the inbred.

lee4hmz said:

I have to wonder what people who don't want to go to college or learn a trade would want to do with their lives. We can't all be celebrities, but it seems that's exactly what some people want to be (and without even trying, either).

Fix currs, if you're talking about the guy up top.

And yes, I'm aware you need a license for that. I doubt he is though, and frankly, none of the mechanics around here are licensed anyway.

• lee4hmz said:

I have to wonder what people who don't want to go to college or learn a trade would want to do with their lives.

i don't want to do either really, but i guess i'll go to college :/
    Lazuli: Sounds like West Virginia, almost. :/ "Well, lordy, honey, it cain't be helped..."

Practically all of my Mom's side of the family came from the same area of WV/KY, around Williamson and Louisa/Fort Gay, and that sort of "I don't really give a crap" thinking is endemic there.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

i don't want to do either really, but i guess i'll go to college :/

That was pretty much my attitude, too. *shrug*
  • I may well be stuck stocking shelves for the rest of my life, considering I can afford neither college nor a tech school.

lee4hmz said:

Lazuli: Sounds like West Virginia, almost. :/ "Well, lordy, honey, it cain't be helped..."

Practically all of my Mom's side of the family came from the same area of WV/KY, around Williamson and Louisa/Fort Gay, and that sort of "I don't really give a crap" thinking is endemic there.

Palmerton: Where the people will gladly drink poisoned tap water and where we are proud of the fact that we have the lowest voter turnout in the county.

I seriously fucking hate this place. It would not surprise me to learn Thomas Ligotti grew up in this area, because that would totally justify his overblownly bleak outlook on the human race.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I may well be stuck stocking shelves for the rest of my life, considering I can afford neither college nor a tech school.

See, that's the one thing that eats away at me. The only way I've managed to pay for these past two years of college has been LOANS. >_<
    I'm going to go ahead and tackle this whole "Republicans and fundamentalist Christians are backwards and stupid" bit. I'm gonna strawman a bit to make my point. 

Let's take Texas' Governor Rick Perry. Rick Perry, to a large part of the nation, is the prototypical dumbass. Let's see how he earned this.

He was born in poverty -- unlike Bush -- and worked his way up as a kid so he could attend Texas A&M, and is an Eagle Scout. From there, he finished his degree in veterinary science (not basket weaving or eskimo poetry.) After that, he became commissioned in the Air Force and was selected for pilot training. The Air Force does not hand out pilot training to any idiot who comes along, they only take the sharpest and the best because making a mistake flying a millions-dollar piece of equipment is a whole world different than getting into a fender-bender with a humvee. From there, he became a C-130 pilot and had a successful career in the Air Force. All this before he took a career in politics. Now he's the Governor. 

But there's this notion that he and the rest of the GOP can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. It's really grating. 

• edited 2012-09-07 18:12:19
  • I didn't say anything about the GOP or Christians.

Frosty said:

I have to wonder what people who don't want to go to college or learn a
    trade would want to do with their lives. We can't all be celebrities,
    but it seems that's exactly what some people want to be (and without
    even trying, either).
    Live simply, perhaps? : ) Here, I have [a little something].

Simple Lifers tend to be rather annoying people.

I get the concept and it's a good one, but not everyone is happy just sitting on a rocking chair feeling the breeze in their faces all the time. I feel good for people who can do that, but I'm not one of them and most people aren't.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Honestly, I got really lucky with my college payments. Most of my tuition payments come from grants and scholarships, and I've only ever had to take out federal loans.

But even with no private loans, I'm still a little worried about how I'm going to pay them off.
  • Let's
    take Texas' Governor Rick Perry. Rick Perry, to a large part of the
    nation, is the prototypical dumbass. Let's see how he earned this.

He
    was born in poverty -- unlike Bush -- and worked his way up as a kid so
    he could attend Texas A&M, and is an Eagle Scout. From there, he
    finished his degree in veterinary science (not basket weaving or eskimo
    poetry.) After that, he became commissioned in the Air Force and was
    selected for pilot training. The Air Force does not hand out pilot
    training to any idiot who comes along, they only take the sharpest and
    the best because making a mistake flying a millions-dollar piece of
    equipment is a whole world different than getting into a fender-bender
    with a humvee. From there, he became a C-130 pilot and had a successful
    career in the Air Force. All this before he took a career in politics.
    Now he's the Governor.

The great sea stirs me.

The great sea sets me adrift,

it sways me like the weed

on a river-stone.

The sky's height stirs me.

The strong wind blows through my mind,

It carries me with it,

so I shake with joy.

• Frosty said:

^ Perhaps it is the party's preoccupation with suppressing LGBT, single-parent parent families, and women?
    While that is certainly the attitude of the party's leadership, it should not really be taken as a criticism of every individual republican.
    Frosty said:

^^ Am I annoying? I aspire to nothing other than to have fun, be a person I like, and create nice things.

In general? No. If you start assuming that everyone has the same ambitions in life as you? Absolutely.
    Lazuli: Poisoned, huh? I remember going down to the area I mentioned for a family reunion in 1997, and the tap water in Delbarton (teensy town not far from Williamson) reeked of hydrogen sulfide. That stuff will kill you dead if you let it. Chlorine or hydrogen peroxide will knock it out, but they're all like "Weill, whurr used to it..." :P
  • Also, being smart doesn't preclude being a dumbass.
  • Frosty said:

^ Perhaps it is the party's preoccupation with suppressing LGBT, single-parent parent families, and women?
    While that is certainly the attitude of the party's leadership, it should not really be taken as a criticism of every individual republican.
    this.
  • edited 2012-09-07 18:16:34
  • lee4hmz said:

Lazuli: Poisoned, huh? I remember going down to the area I mentioned for a family reunion in 1997, and the tap water in Delbarton (teensy town not far from Williamson) reeked of hydrogen sulfide. That stuff will kill you dead if you let it. Chlorine or hydrogen peroxide will knock it out, but they're all like "Weill, whurr used to it..." :P

edit: gotta love it when vanilla decides to eat my post.
    Frosty said:

In general? No. If you start assuming that everyone has the same ambitions in life as you? Absolutely.
    But why would I assume that? Do you assume this?
    I have known other Simple Lifers to assume that. Hence why I brought it up at all.
    Frosty said:

Yes, the GOP does suppress LGBT. I won't argue that. However their support of the traditional nuclear family is seen as "suppressing" single-parent families, which is laughable. Children do better in a stable, two-parent home; that's a simple fact. As for the whole "suppressing women" bit, this invariably leads into the abortion argument and I'm not going there -- suffice to say that I disagree with that notion that the GOP "suppresses" them and leave it at that. 
  • edited 2012-09-07 18:20:31

suppresses
    i don't really think i'm in a position to have a strong position on abortion

and we lgbt people will win and there is nothing these people gonna do bout it so  neer neer neh neer neer
  • Children do better in a stable, two-parent home; that's a simple fact.

Can I get a genuine citation for this? I see it claimed all the time but never where the data actually comes from.

Also I cannot really agree with any rationale for denying benefits to single-parent homes regardless. I mean what are you going to do, force the mother and father to have a stable relationship?

• I'm mostly ok, and my home is anything but stable. It's like eighty bajillion on the home richter scale
  • Frankly I think it's worse when you're being raised in a home where the parents are constantly going against each other, personally.
  • Frankly I think it's worse when you're being raised in a home where the parents are constantly going against each other, personally.

this.
  • edited 2012-09-07 18:27:35
  • Yeah. I live in a situation where the parents don't even sort of get along but put up a front "for the kids" (not me, my younger brothers, 4-9 in age) but then they go behind eachother's backs and constantly undermine eachother, and then you get the kids ending up picking sides.

It's frankly disgusting.

• edited 2012-09-07 18:29:06

Children do better in a stable, two-parent home; that's a simple fact

is there a proof of this

no really i hear this all the time and i actually want to know if theres anything behind it, or if it is just a thing people say

i mean im certain that stable homes are better for children because it just makes goddamn sense but stable single parent families are a thing that exist and ive known people from them who turned out pretty well? (thats not really an argument:  it's just the reason why i am confused about this)