Gravity Falls

Comments

• I'm rarely in the "disappointed" camp in fandoms but I dunno.

I really hope the last episode exceeds my expectations.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Also, maybe I'm biased, but...was there any way Central Avenue could not love the episode that gave us Mabeland??
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    The last episode's going to be an hour, so I'd at least wait to judge its rushedness until it airs.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with Season 2. It is admittedly a bit rushed, but considering how protracted the two seasons so far have been I can't blame Hirsch for just wanting done with it.

I’m honestly halfway tempted to say Disney’s treatment of the show convinced Hirsch to cut it off at two seasons. After all, considering the way they’ve treated it up until now, who’s to say whether they would’ve even given the show a third season?

I’d also like to wait to judge the moral of this episode until the last episode airs, too.

As things stand now, I am tempted to say that you massively misread said moral because of how you have come to perceive Hirsch’s personality. Considering how the show has consistently encouraged Mabel right up until this point, I don’t think Hirsch is trying to say that Mabel should just give up her personality like you seem to think he does.

It is true that some people don’t have very much reality to lean on, but Mabel didn’t really have much to lean on at that time either. Going further inside the bubble prevent the chances of finding an actual reality to lean on. Of course, not everyone’s perfect reality is the same reality; but I don’t think Hirsch is trying to say that it should be.

I don’t get your deal with the microphone scene, either. If it happened after what Dipper said, I’d understand; but it happening after what Mabel said just renders it as a bit of comical nonsense. I know for a fact it’s not about the phrase that you think it is about, that’s for sure.
  • Roadside Attraction actually made me feel pretty uncomfortable

It's on the same level as the Homestuck 'CAUCASIAN' joke. Something that wanted to say something that I condone, but did it so poorly that I'm turned off by it.

I'll get into that more in the morning
  • I mean, I'm going to watch the last episode (I'd be dumb not to at this point, I've seen all the other ones).

As things stand now, I am tempted to say that you massively misread said moral because of how you have come to perceive Hirsch’s personality.
    That is possible but he's given me very good reasons to perceive him that way.

Considering how the show has consistently encouraged Mabel right up until this point, I don’t think Hirsch is trying to say that Mabel should just give up her personality like you seem to think he does.

I don't think this episode actually said very much about Mabel at all. Her character development is going in the same direction it's been. 

Part of what bothers me is that the show keeps hitting the same beats for the characters. Mabel has an escapism problem, Dipper can't let go of his crush on Wendy, Soos misses his dad who was never there for him. Like I understand these things by now, they don't need to keep bringing up the problems again and then resolving them again, it doesn't offer any new insight into the characters.

Now if I'm being charitable, that's realistic. People relapse all the time, but realism does not necessarily produce good writing.

It is true that some people don’t have very much reality to lean on, but Mabel didn’t really have much to lean on at that time either. Going further inside the bubble prevent the chances of finding an actual reality to lean on. 

See that's the thing though, Mabel does have plenty of reality to lean on, or at least she did as far as she knew. She wasn't aware the world was ending until she left the bubble. All that had actually happened to Mabel was one admittedly pretty harsh thing (the prospect of her brother staying behind in Gravity Falls).

Essentially I feel like this episode was concocted to carry the moral lesson, rather than because it made a good story. Mabeland as a setting is kind of cool, but I don't really think it did. In fact, the more I think on the episode, the less I like it.

I'd like to have seen Dipper get his wake-up slap, because I think he's the character that actually needs it most. But this is given token recognition at best (oh, so now he suddenly just doesn't want to stay with Ford, and there's no internal conflict there at all? OK.) and just sort of brushed aside. I'd like to think it'll be resolved in the finale, but I don't know, even with 60 minutes, they're running out of time to tie up loose character development and plot threads like this.

I don’t get your deal with the microphone scene, either. If it happened after what Dipper said, I’d understand; but it happening after what Mabel said just renders it as a bit of comical nonsense. I know for a fact it’s not about the phrase that you think it is about, that’s for sure.

I don't think reading a literal mic drop performed by characters who turn out to be wrong as a shot at the phrase "mic drop" is a stretch in the slightest. 
  • edited 2015-12-06 08:18:30
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    You made yourself really hard to quote there, but I’ll try:
    Jane said:

That is possible but he's given me very good reasons to perceive him that way.

Because he gets annoyed at people you admit are the literal dregs of society? I can’t help but feel a weird sort of double standard there.
    Jane said:

I don't think this episode actually said very much about Mabel at all. Her character development is going in the same direction it's been. 

Part of what bothers me is that the show keeps hitting the same beats for the characters. Mabel has an escapism problem, Dipper can't let go of his crush on Wendy, Soos misses his dad who was never there for him. Like I understand these things by now, they don't need to keep bringing up the problems again and then resolving them again, it doesn't offer any new insight into the characters.

Now if I'm being charitable, that's realistic. People relapse all the time, but realism does not necessarily produce good writing.

It’s only been three months for them. We’ve all had periods in life where we had to learn the same lessons repeatedly before they sink in. That’s actually pretty realistic there.
    Jane said:

See that's the thing though, Mabel does have plenty of reality to lean on, or at least she did as far as she knew. She wasn't aware the world was ending until she left the bubble. All that had actually happened to Mabel was one admittedly pretty harsh thing (the prospect of her brother staying behind in Gravity Falls).

Essentially I feel like this episode was concocted to carry the moral lesson, rather than because it made a good story. Mabeland as a setting is kind of cool, but I don't really think it did. In fact, the more I think on the episode, the less I like it.

I'd like to have seen Dipper get his wake-up slap, because I think he's the character that actually needs it most. But this is given token recognition at best (oh, so now he suddenly just doesn't want to stay with Ford, and there's no internal conflict there at all? OK.) and just sort of brushed aside. I'd like to think it'll be resolved in the finale, but I don't know, even with 60 minutes, they're running out of time to tie up loose character development and plot threads like this.

Mabel actually didn’t have as much to lean on as you’d think. She was going to have to abandon her friends at the end of the summer, and was about to enter an uncertain future. She thought she’d have Dipper to rely on, but he was going to leave her to deal with that future all alone. This caused her to get desperate and cling onto the past any way she could. We all just recently dealt with someone who did this sort of thing herself, so I can’t help but feel that this story was a logical conclusion of all of those events. As for Dipper’s wake-up slap, there’s still time to deal with that in the next episode; and I feel like they will.
    Jane said:

I don't think reading a literal mic drop performed by characters who turn out to be wrong as a shot at the phrase "mic drop" is a stretch in the slightest.

I admit I thought you were talking about that “bae” thing from a while back. I misread that part of your post, and I apologize for that.
  • Because he gets annoyed at people you admit are the literal dregs of society? I can’t help but feel a weird sort of double standard there.

uh...what?

It’s only been three months for them. We’ve all had periods in life where we had to learn the same lessons repeatedly before they sink in. That’s actually pretty realistic there.

Yeah, but, again, realism is not necessarily good writing.

Mabel actually didn’t have as much to lean on as you’d think. She was going to have to abandon her friends at the end of the summer, and was about to enter an uncertain future. She thought she’d have Dipper to rely on, but he was going to leave her to deal with that future all alone. This caused her to get desperate and cling onto the past any way she could. We all just recently dealt with someone who did this sort of thing herself, so I can’t help but feel that this story was a logical conclusion of all of those events. As for Dipper’s wake-up slap, there’s still time to deal with that in the next episode; and I feel like they will.

I mean I'd like to believe that but I have no real reason to believe they either will or won't. What do you want me to say here?

I admit I thought you were talking about that “bae” thing from a while back. I misread that part of your post, and I apologize for that.

s'fine.
    Jane said:

uh...what?

How he seems to not hide his frustration at having to deal with insufferable fans, which is to say, the kind of people you complain about a lot.
    Jane said:

Yeah, but, again, realism is not necessarily good writing.

It isn't always, but it really worked for me there. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Jane said:

I mean I'd like to believe that but I have no real reason to believe they either will or won't. What do you want me to say here?

Not much in particular, honestly. I just didn't think that was as out of nowhere as you did. Once again, I am willing to wait for the final episode and see who is right here.

• I would, mind you, rather be wrong.

Also I don't think annoying fans are "the dregs of society", lol.

I have other reasons to think Alex Hirsch is kind of a jerk, or at least vaguely unpleasant. Even if I'm completely wrong about the moralizing though, my issues with the writing for this particular episode and pacing for the show overall still stand.
    Yeah, I don't think they are either. I think I just let my bitterness show too much there. >_>

Alex Hirsch may not be the kind of person I'd like to talk to for very long, but I'm already used to liking the art of people like that; so adding him to that list isn't something I mind doing.

As for the pacing, I don't disagree with that; but for the reasons I already stated at the beginning of my first post in this thread I can understand it.
  • You know who else I feel this way about?

Jason DeMarco.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. Guy has pretty awesome taste, though.

I also feel that way about Neil Cicierega if I'm being honest, but I think you also dislike his art as well, so...
  • I don't know offhand who that is.

I know the name but couldn't tell you what he's done.
    Lemon Demon guy

He also did those Mouth Sounds mashups that I find pretty cool but I'm not sure what you'd think of them.
  • Potter Puppet Pals, Lemon Demon, and that one mashup album made almost entirely with Smash Mouth songs
  • Mouth Sounds is a funny idea but it's like when people try to claim that gmcfosho is unironically a good rapper, at that point you kinda lose me.
    gmcfosho's done serious stuff that I remember not really minding.
  • Jane said:

Mouth Sounds is a funny idea but it's like when people try to claim that gmcfosho is unironically a good rapper, at that point you kinda lose me.

his puns are great
  • Jane said:

Mouth Sounds is a funny idea but it's like when people try to claim that gmcfosho is unironically a good rapper, at that point you kinda lose me.

his puns are great
    They are.

I still really just love

"that's a checkmate [oddly long pause] we playin chess", cuz it's ALMOST actually a really hot line, but not quite.

gmcfosho's done serious stuff that I remember not really minding.

wait what
  • edited 2015-12-06 08:44:38
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Naney linked one of his serious songs to me a while back.

I can't remember what the song was now, but I'm sure that he would.
  • also some of these lyrics are kinda stupid
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i am confused, and it may be because i tend to take things at face value and miss nuance

i saw the episode, enjoyed it a lot, saw all the stuff you described but not, like, the malice you saw in it?
    and like, mic drop, well i guess that was tongue-in-cheek, mainly it seemed to just be a use of the phrase

it wasn't like SCREW YOU IF YOU'VE EVER SAID THIS it was just a character also saying it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Dipper doing a 180 on staying with Ford didn't seem contrived to me at all. He's seen that his sister would rather literally live in a fantasy bubble than face the prospect of life without him. It's not that he doesn't want to learn about Gravity Falls anymore; it's that he's realized that his relationship with Mabel is more important. He doesn't want to drive a wedge between them the same way Stan and Ford did to themselves.
    Plus he'd just had kind of a sharp wake-up call on the dangers of shutting yourself away in your own world, which you'd expect would make him think twice about shutting Mabel out of his life.
    Yeah, I think it's more a "you can't avoid life" moral than a "you should grow up" moral.
  • Jane said:

I prefer Mouth Silence, tbh. "It's" is, like, a religious experience in how hamfistedly hammy it is.

So, about Roadside Attraction, 

I know they were trying to make a good morality play about how guys should treat women, but Dipper isn't the right character for it. His flaws are always centered around his inadequacy, usually concerning his age or lack of masculinity and such. Even if that drove him towards pick-up artistry, the beta plot of Boyz Crazy already taught him a lesson about being mindful in the field of love. So in order to get Dipper to play fast and loose with girls' hearts, the narrative has to move him there under false pretenses, i.e., as a self-confidence exercise. Given that Dipper's intentions are tangential to the usual ones of pick-up artists, and that what we see of Dipper's actions is relatively benign in practice (if not in motive), the big 'what you did is bad and you should feel bad' moment before the climax feels really cheap. I'm still not sure how Candy is supposed to be in the right for being mad at Dipper when he was trying to let her down gently and she was the one making the moves the whole time.

It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
    i can definitely see where you're coming from and in part agree, but just by way of counter-argument, i'd say it was Stan who needed to learn a lesson about pick-up artistry and how it can backfire, not Dipper, and the lesson Dipper needed to learn was not to take cynical advice from someone like Stan at face value.

Like, Dipper didn't really deserve the consequences that ensued, but that came as a consequence of trying to be someone he isn't.  A relevant lesson there was that adults don't always get things right and sometimes what looks like good advice really isn't.
  • Also, maybe I'm biased, but...was there any way Central Avenue could not love the episode that gave us Mabeland??

:D I knew you would.
  • I got really, really teary eyed at that ending.

Also the robot fightin' Mystery Shack was amazing.
  • Watched it

Ow, my heart

I have to say, I saw the Stan Switcheroo a mile away though
    I was watching their hands

It feels a little cheap that Stan got his memories back so easily. I guess the alternative was downright depressing, but it still could have been like, "wow, I must have loved you so much to sacrifice for you".
  • Haven said:

Watched it

Ow, my heart

I have to say, I saw the Stan Switcheroo a mile away though
    I was watching their hands

It feels a little cheap that Stan got his memories back so easily. I guess the alternative was downright depressing, but it still could have been like, "wow, I must have loved you so much to sacrifice for you".
    I'll admit, I really thought they'd go through with it. Didn't they say they were going to kill off one of the Pines at some point?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    the feels
    i'm sorry i can't be more articulate than that it's a lot to take in
    That. was. AWESOME.

Spoiler:

Stan getting his memories back so easily seemed like a bit of a copout at first, but I feel like Stan and Ford reconciling and going on adventures together like they'd wanted to as children more than made up for it.

Also YES SHE GOT TO KEEP WADDLES.
    i couldn't have handled the alternative

also it was so cool seeing all those one-off characters come back

also TEETH IS BRAK

ANDY MERRILL
    but yeah

I'm sad to see the show go, despite never having been a huge fan of it I've always considered it a top-tier show and appreciated its intentions

Maybe I should watch the entire series again, I haven't seen most of it in a long time
    It would help me put things in perspective better. Some of the people here have said the show feels like it's been rushing towards its conclusion (it didn't feel like it to me despite more than half the second season going by before Ford/"the author" was introduced)
    Let's be grateful that this show got to end on its own terms. Let's be grateful that Disney didn't water it down or drag it on past its intended endpoint.
    Anonus said:

Let's be grateful that this show got to end on its own terms. Let's be grateful that Disney didn't water it down or drag it on past its intended endpoint.

Agreed.
    I just realized that I forgot to watch "The Stanchurian Candidate"

God this episode is amazing

Also when Gideon said "maybe you just need to have more of an...open mind" did anyone else notice the lines on his teeth disappearing and re-appearing as he spoke?