Gravity Falls

edited 2015-06-05 20:59:28 in General Media
I like it. It feels very much like a Cartoon Network show, despite being on Disney Channel.

Not sure what else to say...Mabel was an instant favorite of mine. She has the same sort of loopiness and lack of self-awareness that I see in myself at times.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I took a liking to Dipper, as you probably see from my avatar.

He's like Mulder but 12 and snarkier. :)
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-09 02:53:37
    So. Just watched 4 of the 5 episodes.

This show is amazing.

Also, for those interested, Episode 5 leaked.

(Download link removed - Anonus)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh, wow, only 5 episodes in and a leaked episode already.
  • I want to watch this just because I feel like if I don't it'll be one of those things that's EVERYWHERE in a few months and then I'll end up hating it.
  • edited 2012-07-09 01:19:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^ Because how will CA fit in without Magic (she hasn't got a clue)?

Also this show looks amusing.
  • Lumine said:

Why would you hate something just for being everywhere?

Because that is my (and many people's) natural reaction to seeing something everywhere.

I cannot give you a better answer without first getting a degree in human psychology.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Fouria G said:

Because how will CA fit in without Magic (she hasn't got a clue)?

Oh, I don't hate Magic. I don't even feel particularly excluded when the topic comes up; I just thought the Twilight Sparkle clip was funny in that context.
  • edited 2012-07-09 02:27:15
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    (Not actually a spoiler but from the leaked episode)

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre, I removed the download link; I don't think posting a link to a leaked episode of a TV show here is a good idea.
    Oh wow, we ended up doing that thing where we both made the same edit to the same post at the same time. Looks like yours won this time around. :P

Hivemind moderators, everybody!
  • Pffffffthahaha

Also I'm fine with that.
  • Lumine said:

Devrais-je regarder?

Oui.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Cheese Crust Pizza Declared Delicious"

Why yes, that did happen in 1995

/spoiler
  • So, I'm just going to name Episode 3 as my favorite up to this point (note: haven't seen the leaked episode yet; probably not going to until it's official out)

It just has so many good lines in it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Fouria G said:

Because how will CA fit in without Magic (she hasn't got a clue)?

Oh, I don't hate Magic. I don't even feel particularly excluded when the topic comes up; I just thought the Twilight Sparkle clip was funny in that context.
    Sorry.  You don't seem like the type to get angry about a card game, either.  To be honest, I couldn't think of any time I'd personally disliked something popular, and the clip seemed at least borderline-relevant because I think it often is about feeling excluded.

That, or just irritation at repeatedly hearing reference to something you dislike, I guess.  (I was kinda that way about Twilight in my late teens.)
  • edited 2012-07-09 12:42:34
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-07-09 13:06:52
    I read it and saw the movie, but I was already a bit annoyed with it before then.  I haven't felt that way about many things, though. I also think most things are to some extent insensitive towards somebody, and that Twilight is fairly innocuous if treated as a bullshit wish-fulfilment fantasy, which is how most fans I know seemed to regard it.  It just kind of rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.

• Twilight's an interesting thing for me. I've researched it so well that I can rattle off the major problems with it as I would my address. Yet, I haven't read it, and I refuse to read it. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I criticize the themes of the book rather than the actual writing style, I don't need to read the actual text of the thing.

Anyways, to return to the thread topic, Mabel's already been nearly married off twice in four episodes. I think that has to be a record.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-10 14:55:09
    I read book one of Twilight and disliked it greatly. The movies are slightly more tolerable (Eclipse in particular wasn't bad) but I still don't consider myself a fan. 

Also the fact that Mabel now has an evil ex-boyfriend named Gideon has to be a reeeal strange coinkydink.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Gideon or Gedeon, which means "Destroyer," "Mighty warrior," or "Feller (of trees)" was a judge of the Hebrews. His story is recorded in chapters 6 to 8 of the Book of Judges in the Hebrew BibleJudges 6–8. He is also named in chapter 11 of the Epistle to the Hebrews as an example of a man of faith.

STILL...

• Well, it looks like Disney finally got around to culling the Youtube videos of the first four episodes

I knew that the internet couldn't be lucky enough to have 'two' incredibly popular shows that are freely put up on Youtube.
    Wait a minute, how did Dipper know by looking through the camera's viewfinder that it had a cracked lens?
  • edited 2012-07-15 22:00:42
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    So I watched the new episode.

I enjoyed it; I rather liked the bits where Mabel was high on Smile Dip, and when she was possessed, and when Dipper did the Lammy Lammy Dance.
  • lolspoilers

Onward, Aoshima!
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-16 02:53:46
    Also, Episode 6 is out in the wild, go find it.

Dipper tries to become a MAN in this one. Y'know. By doing MANLY things.
    Personally, I'm going to wait around this time, because I know Anonus likes to wait for the official releases and I want to watch it with him.

But I am going to re-watch Episode 5 and post my thoughts in it in a few minutes here...
  • edited 2012-07-16 03:39:10
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Alright, thoughts on "The Inconveniencing":
    • Dipper looked at a newspaper from 1995, but nobody (Mabel excepted) seemed to have a problem eating all the food in the store. Weird.
    • The whole thing with Mabel and the Smile Dip was alternately funny and creepy, but in a good way.
    • Thompson getting trapped in the Dancy Pants Revoution game and having the arrows stick into him was one of those scenes I had to rewind several times laughing.
    • The "shocking" rap lyrics were hilarious on several levels.
  • edited 2012-07-18 23:51:47

Dipper looked at a newspaper from 1995, but nobody (Mabel excepted) seemed to have a problem eating all the food in the store. Weird.

The candy might plausibly have a very long shelf life.

That doesn't explain the ice or the iced lollies, I realize.
    The ghosts appeared to be able to manipulate reality within the store, so that probably explains how the ice was still solid even though the power had clearly been shut off until Wendy flipped the switches.

Makes me wonder why the kids never questioned it, though.
  • I just figured the haunted nature of the convenience store somehow kept it "frozen in time" or something, almost like a sort of stasis, if you will.

Then again, this theory is probably just crackpot jibberjabber over a cartoon and is therefore silly. But whatever.
    Tre said:

Then again, this theory is probably just crackpot jibberjabber over a cartoon and is therefore silly.

Man, I once spent like two hours thinking over the ramifications of transgenderism in the world of My Little Pony. Crackpot jibberjabber over cartoons is what I do best.
    Oh look, clip from the original unaired pilot. Different animation style and everything:

Somehow, the mouths and the hands there remind me a little of Wallace and Gromit.
    I am so glad the animation style changed before the show hit the air; the Flash is really easy to spot and rather stiff to me.
    Maybe they had to rush it a little.  I expect they just wanted to give a rough idea of how the finished product might look.
    I thought of that too. Flash would probably be good for mockups like that.
  • IIRC, The Venture Bros. pilot was done in Flash too. I have a feeling it's a good, cheap way to animate something that has not yet been given a decent budget.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-20 02:21:04
    I saw that clip on the TVT page.

Weird how Mabel and Grunkle Stan look almost exactly the same now minus the colored outlines and general roughness, whereas most of Dipper's features changed somewhat (heck, even the hat is a little off).
  • Ok, so I binged a bunch and I really like the show. I hate to compare, but people keep saying it's gonna be MLP: FIM popularity and just comparing my enjoyment levels I just like this show better. Mostly, because MLP, while good, reminds me a great deal of many of the PBS kids shows (like Arthur) I watched in my youth so they feel more predictable to me. But, comparing actually content is worthless since they're two different age brackets and for different target audiences .

I like that it's darker, but not an all out horror show. And it seems to keep continuity fairly well while hinting to later plotlines. Something I appreciate since most American cartoons generally don't have overarching plotlines. Hopefully they keep it up (and not change it like Avengers. Fuck you very, very much Jeph Loeb) The characters are fun I really enjoy both Dipper and Mabel as well as their dynamic as well as the general atmosphere of the show.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Oh look, clip from the original unaired pilot. Different animation style and everything:

This 43 second video clip has charmed me, I shall find time to watch more of this.
  • I am seeing this show right now.

This episode is about pancakes and manliness.

• "he's a human, I don't like him."

"I don't like YOUR FACE!" *punch*

• Finally caught up with the newest episodes. Didn't like "Double Dipper" all that much. However, 8 and 9 were quite good. Even if 8 as incredibly silly, that was kind of the point and I dug it. :P

I don't like this random-ish episode schedule though. But, if it means good quality episodes, I'll take it.
    Is it weird that I see myself in Mabel?
  • So... Gravity Falls is that show with the Flapjack-looking art style? That only makes all the talk about shipping and shit I've heard about it just that much worse.