Superheroes General

13»

Comments

• edited 2012-06-28 05:03:56
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Both are seriously bugfuck insane.

But ASSBAR is slightly better because they've got Jim Lee on pencils.

so

this Batman seems to enjoy Samurai movies.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Who doesn't?
  • I've actually never seen one.

....that's Alfred in the second panel by the way.

I have no words

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You heard him.

He doesn't give a hydroelectric DAM about all this FLAP.
  • I am convinced that this comic's creation was a four step process

1) Buy a shit ton of assorted hallucigenic drugs, but especially salvia

2) Buy a shit ton of Silver and Dark-age Batman comics

3) take drugs while reading comics

4) write about what you see

• Batman with guns? What's the context? Cuz that's like incredibly OOC
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^^Given that formula, I kind of want to read it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Looks like Batman just beat up Constantine.
  • so

I decided to try to read HEROMAN to see what a Japanese take on the whole Superhero thing would be like.

Well, as it turns out.

the answer is "horribly translated".

I found Heroman kind of fun for what little I read of it, but it might be better animated.
  • There is an anime.

I think I will see that instead. The translation of this is best described as "an abysmally wretched affront to both the Japanese and English languages."

Well said.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Everyday I'm bumpin' threads ROODOOTDODODEEDOOT ROODOOTDODODEEDOOT

So, I've been thinking lately. Thinking about the Justice League.

And I've realized how DC has totally screwed themselves over when it comes to making a Justice League movie.

See, Marvel did something crazy in 2008 with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk; no one had tried to build up to a team movie that way before, and for it to have worked the way it did is...frankly, it's incredible.

DC hasn't done that. They've said repeatedly that their film projects are staying separate. Batman will be in Gotham, Superman will be in Metropolis, and screw you if you think Wonder Woman's getting a movie. Christopher Nolan has justified this by saying that part of these characters' power is how they stand alone, extraordinary beings in an ordinary world, and to be fair he has a right to say that: he's the one who brought back Batman, and if he gets a collar on Zak Snyder he might do the same with Superman.

But isn't that part of the Justice League's appeal? The fact that these figures who are so utterly completely separate come together and stand in the same room to save the world? I mean, the Avengers are similar, but they're not quite the same. Most of them live in New York. When someone's in danger, you get the feeling that you can call them. With the Justice League, you don't need to call, because they already know.

Apparently the Justice League movie has a writer and a tentative date of 2014. I can tell you right now that that's not happening, no matter how hard DC is trying. They've fumbled too badly; Man of Steel is a gamble, given Snyder's track record, and if Nolan's word holds true then it won't be the start of a new crossover. If they start everything over so soon after we've grown to love the characters again, it ain't gonna work.

Here's where I get confused, though. Despite their insistence that the movies are staying separate, they're pushing the JL everywhere else. Videogames (what with Injustice, which I can't wait for, and Lego Batman 2, which I can), animated movies, comics, etc. What's DC's plan? Are they trying to get everyone accustomed to the image of the League through sheer osmosis? Maybe they want to get the movie-going audience familiar with someone that comic readers already know of: that the version of your favorite character that you're seeing now isn't always going to be the same as the one you saw yesterday.

Maybe this goes in the film thread. I dunno.
  • edited 2012-08-01 19:40:03
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I can't honestly say that I really understand the direction DC has been taking for the last few years or so.

Nor do I believe that they themselves understand what they are doing.

Well, their universe was pretty convoluted, but this is sort of normal for comics, as is the occasional reset.

STILL, I'm sure there where lots of plot lines people would have liked to see continued or wrapped up instead of "screw it! Issue 1, people!"

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    That's another thing I don't get about DC; why do they need to make all their retcons so complicated?

I mean, it can be as simple as saying "Hey, that thing? Didn't happen." or "Happened differently." Bam, done, we're used to changing histories. But for some reason they feel the need to slap another Crisis Event onto everything.
    As unfortunate as it is, nothing gets people buying comic books like Crisis Hammer Itself War events.

Sales practically jump when they roll those around.
  • Would y'all describe Neo-human Casshern as a superhero or more of just a superpowered individual? 

I only know of him from Casshern Sins, but he was apparently more overtly heroic in older series.

I'd say old Casshern is, while Casshern Sinner isn't.
  • edited 2012-08-06 16:30:58
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I found time to continue reading 80s Swamp Thing comics, I've read Moore's run, now I'm reading the stuff before it.

Apparently I stopped reading this ark a little too soon.

Swamp Thing saves this little girl, and SPOILERS AHEAD, she's psychic...and evil. Really evil.

I took a break an issue or two before things go from standard comic book fare to off the wall, resurrected Holocaust concentration camp, Kabbalism, we're fighting the literal anti-Christ stuff.

The a couple of the generic evil corporate twerps that where after Swamp Thing in the girl turn out to be not so evil, as it's the girl that's the true evil. Also, she's gone from girl to woman as a way to increase her powers. Thankfully, Swamp thing got a locket off evil girls mother (who warned peeps that said girl was evil incarnate) that lets him track her. Nothing fancy here...except one of the guys turns out to be an ex-Nazi and war criminal. 

He basically forces everyone to work with him against the girl (who summons a dead Nazi occultist to find a pendulum to help summon the anti-Christ). She kicks their collective asses, but not before summoning up a concentration camp and Swamp Thing and crew fight some Nazis.

The ex-Nazi reveals he was actually a Jew that was forced to help the Nazi's because he was also a doctor and is basically plagued by all the Mengele type experiments he helped perform on his own people.

People are still iffy about him, but he and another ex-evil corporate twerp who is also Jewish, and somehow visually getting more Jewish by the panel construct a Golem using the Sefer Yetzirah (this is, in fact, the correct book to consult for Golem making purposes, I have a copy) to help them beat up the evil psychic girl.

The Golem does some good, gets mixed up, fights Swamp Thing, has to be rebuilt several time. Eventully Swamp Thing looks past the helpless little girl he once knew and snaps the evil lady like a brittle twig.

But she possess a friend and after a brief fights brings them all to ye' ol' anti-Christ castle. An assassin sent to kill our evil guy, turned evil, but not as evil as the real evil, turned super evil ex-Nazi, turned Jew, turned "Holy crap the artist just figured out he was a Jew this whole time and now his nose has grown three sizes" also gets taken to the castle and it turns out his agent number is "666" and the evil lady summons the LITERAL seven headed, ten horned anti-Christ who is all like "Your world is FUCKED!" 

He basically joins with the Assassin who basically says he's going to become CEO of evil-corp and do some text book anti-Christ stuff like bring people to his cause, except it's made pretty clear that all these people are white, likely Bible fundamentalists or Klu-Klux-Klan members and that they'd be pretty heavily modeled after Nazis.

Actually, the comics mentioned earlier that his plans would break down like this:

• Finish what Hitler started with the Jews.
    • Do what we did to the Jews to everyone not white.
    • Do what we did to the above two groups to any whites who disagree.
    • Hope the rest of Revelations isn't true...

Things look dire until Swamp Thing figures out the "Tracking locket" actually is absorbing energy from evil woman and he proceeds to use WIZARD SKIIIIIIIILS her own psychic powers against her. 

And she's like "Fuck YOU, Swamp Thing! I can inhabit any body I want! Even YOURS" and possess him.

And Swamp Thing is like "Fuck YOU, evil, anti-Christ bringer. I CAST YOU OUT IN THE NAME OF GOD!"

And she's like "FUCK ME, I CAN'T INHABIT A BODY THAT CALLS UPON THE ALMIGHTY!"

And then Swamp Thing, with no small amount of pleasure, uses her own power to blast spirit-her back to Hell.

Also, while doing this all, he found time to stop anti-Chris assassin from stomping on the hands of ex-Nazi Jewish doc so that ex-Nazi Jewish doc would fall down several stories to his death.

Except, Swamp Things powers are gone once he blasts the bitch, and now anti-Christ assassin is back to stomping, but ex-Nazi Jewish doc grab his foot and makes anti-Christ assassin loose his footing and he falls down several stories to a head splattery death. Ex-Nazi Jewish doc takes some solace in the fact that even though he did terrible things and wanted to die for many, many years, he just killed the anti-Christ.

Anti-Christ castle disappears and those that survived (lots of people died, either in fiery explosions, psychokinesis, or just plain being melted by evil bitch) collect their wits and are like "FUCK YEAH, WE JUST TOOK OUT THE ANTI-CHRIST AND THE EVIL GIRL THAT SUMMONED HER"

It was awesome...

Also, The Phantom Stranger showed up in a bunch of shorts at the end of the comics, as he does.

He fought some Gargoyles that lived in a Catholic church who where actually born of humans, but they looked like Gargoyles and where persecuted until they found the church to hide in, but their church was being torn down, so they murdered some people to prevent that from happening.

Actually, he didn't FIGHT them so much as get captured by them. He and the demolition manager of the crew in charge of taking down the church got hung in the giant church bell and would have been crushed, had God decided not to blast the bell with a tabernacle and melt it on the Gargoyles. 

In the next story, he stops a woman from taking her mom off life-support by showing that her mom is fighting for her life against death incarnate (who is like a cross between the Grim Reaper and something Lovecraft cooked up) by using all her memories of her children and grandchildren.

Her memories are like psychic projections that have pitchforks and other sharp things to stab Death Cthulhu.

In the next story we meet a dude who has the powers of that guy everyone ignored in Mystery Men. He basically gets everything for free, but is lonely. 

The Stranger convinces him he should stand out a bit more by helping him beat up a drug dealer (who looks like white Huggy-bear)  who tries to give free cocaine to this woman he likes.

Next issue: Swamp Thing and The Phantom Stranger team up!

I'm having trouble imagining how they top this last ark, but considering it's a team up between a big, nigh-invulnerable, super-strong, regenerating mass of vegetable matter with a PhD and a supernatural entity (that might literally be an angel) who seems to have the almighty on speed-dial, but I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I forgot to mention that the one thing that disapointed me is that the Golem and Swamp Thing didn't actully fight the seven headed, 10 horned anti-Christ/dragon/beast...

Still, kudos to whomever decided that this ark was going to be about the anti-Christ, and the Holocaust, and Nazis, and Kabbalism, and blackjack, and hookers.  

So, Swamp Thing ended up fighting a nigh invincible crystal/silicon dude that could turn you into brittle ass-crystal/silicon, which would straight up kill you.

The Phantom Stranger just did his thing and guided Swamp Thing and the dude's wife (he was normal until his own experiment gone wrong changed him).

Kinda normal comic fare, sadly.

I'm into Moore's run now, he picked up while things where going pretty crazy with Arcane and the corporation that wants Swamp Thing dead, and he's doing good things with it. 

Having decent source material and stories to go off of, or not, it's pretty undeniable that Moore's stuff is simply better written than his predecessors.

It's funny how Moore being will informed of the goings on can become a gimps into the things we believed erroneously back in the 80s.

He's mentioned Lemmings throwing themselves off cliffs, the Planarian Worm Maze  experiments as a way of explaining how Swamp Thing came to be, and also the EVIL of a cat sharing a bed with a baby (I knew people mistook Sudden Infant Death Syndrome for cats stealing baby's breath, but I had no idea this was actually still entertained in the 80s).

Though, as accidental as it probably was, I know Moore goes a different direction with the worm thing anyhow. 

Man, I am WAY out of the loop when it comes to comics, now.

Apparently there's a Hit-Girl graphic novel, and there currently doing all these prequel Watchmen limited series. 

I noticed Moore's name isn't attached to a one of them.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Speaking of comic book writing legends, I finally ran across a DVD copy of American Splendor here in town. Used, and only $3, which made me kind of sad.
  • edited 2012-08-12 03:13:01

Not attached, but he's all class:

"As far as I know [...] there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby-Dick."

"I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago."

As much as I think Moore could stand to lighten up, I have to admit I giggled at both of these.
  • Well there may not have been many, but...

Also dude's got a lot of nerve comparing his comics to Moby Dick.

• edited 2012-08-12 03:15:45

Well, Watchmen has been called the "Citizen Kane of comics" and Citizen Kane has been recognized as the greatest movie EVER in some circles. 

If it where anything else he's done, I'd say he's talking out his ass, but I'll cut him slack for Watchmen.
    Alan Moore can go join the "butthurt about hollywood" crew along with Crumb. I love Crumb's work and he's one of my earliest influences but he really, really needs to get over Fritz the Cat and stop talking shit about Bakshi. 

Moore is definitely "butthurt about Hollywood" I think he's thrown a few media fits over pretty much every movie that was based off a comic of his and, as far as I know, made sure his name wasn't attached to any of them.

Though, for some movies *cough LeagueofExtradinaryGentlemen cough* you can kinda see where he's coming from.

On that note, I need to see the movie "From Hell" still.

I have a feeling it's better than the comic, but the comic bored me out of reading it within the fist several pages.
    I watched LoEG one night while on duty. Honestly I didn't think it was that bad, I was pretty entertained the entire way through. I've never read any of Moore's comics, so maybe that's why I didn't hate it. 
  • I liked LoEG quite a bit, honestly.

I've never read the comic of it, and probably don't want to. It's apparently another title Moore used as an excuse to tell us all about his fetishes in an indirect manner.

Also, I'm gonna spend this semester studying someone's work I should have picked up on a long time ago.

Gerry Shamray, you sick, sick master of composition, you.

I liked LoEG quite a bit, honestly.

I've never read the comic of it, and probably don't want to. It's apparently another title Moore used as an excuse to tell us all about his fetishes in an indirect manner.

Heh.

LoEG the movie is pretty shallow compared to the comics.
  • edited 2012-08-12 03:36:13

Also, I think Mina Harker as a kick-ass Vampire chick is an improvement. 

Though, I'm not sure if either the movie or even the comic adequately explains what happened to her husband.

I mean, they had a kid at the end of Dracula, so it's not like she had much of a reason to go off and fight the bizarre happenstance of the world.
    I disagree, because the point of Harker was because she suffered through so much and came out stronger. Her sheer force of will and intelligence was what allowed her to boss superhuman brutes, pirates, and drugged-out hunters around, all because she herself had faced a greater monster than them all and feared nothing since then.

Well, it worked for the movie. 

But then again, I did mention the movie was rather shallow compared to the comics, but it certainly is an aspect that would be lost if she could easily defend or take down the monsters she had to deal with.

Jim Corrigan began his career as the Spectre in the early 1940s, when the hard-boiled police detective was murdered. Put into cement and thrown into the water by crime-boss Gat Benson, Jim Corrigan's soul left his body and went on to the afterlife. Instead of going into Heaven, his spirit refused to pass into the afterlife, and his rage was heard by the archangel Michael, who bonded his spirit to the spirit of God's vengeance, the Spectre. He was condemned to return to Earth[1] for sixty years of punishing wrongdoings.

Heh, this means he was done sometimes in the oughties. I kinda doubt DC thought to address this.