Superheroes General

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The shirt is the window into the boobs...or something.
  • The boob window represents...something in comics.

They're always trying to give in character justifications for the window.
  • edited 2012-06-23 15:30:20
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Often times it probably doesn't matter. A tiny strip of fabric isn't going to Protect Power girl any better than her invincibility already does.

It's pretty hilarious when it's used in fantasy settings, though.

Phew! For a second there, I wasn't sure where to aim my stabs.
  • ^Where are those images from? That armor looks so awkwardly designed. "Oh yeah, this is for a chick. Make sure to lob off a huge, awkward looking chunk in the middle for the boobs."

"Won't her heart, neck and other vitals be more vulnerable?"

"Pfftt..what are you, stupid?"

Apparently it's an armor set from Oblivion.
  • I've always wondered about that.

Though to be fair to Power Girl's current writers, the boob window is apparently a gag thing nowadays (going by secondhand information here), so I don't see anything wrong with that in particular.

Plenty annoying with other characters though.

I think it depends on the character. Some don't wear armor at all, so showing some cleavage is  probably irrelevant, many are invincible or at least nigh-invulnerable, so armor is probably no bid deal.

I'm actually drawing a blank on any females that where armor. Oddly enough, it makes some degree of sense given that the more "normal" heroes are trying to be stealthy and such that they wouldn't where armor. Lots of special ops people forego armor as well, preferring having less weight and being less sneaky.

Still makes me wonder how often they hand-wave this stuff.
  • It doesn't make the designs of the costumes any less pander-y, though.

I sometimes wish comicbook writers would not pander to their audiences so. 

Another thing: name one flat comicbook heroine who isn't a child.

Oh, the Comic book industry definitely is pandering to it's male fans, no doubt about it. I guess they're just lucky they give give girls skimpy outfits and there's no real reason to tell them "THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!"
  • I suppose.

I've made it a point that, if I ever do anything with Luxwave, none of my heroines are going to look like that, sans perhaps one, who will be a parody character. Cuz I like those.

By "that" I mean the whole "tight spandex with enormous tits" look.

I will make them attractive, sure (when it's appropriate to do so), but not identical.

Looking back on it, this is either the reason I liked Terra from the TT animated series so much, or, it's the other way around and little boy Lazuli's crush on said character influenced my taste in fictional heroines.

I am reading far, far too into this.

"I am reading far, far too into this."

That's just sorta what we do round here. :P
  • Perhaps.

Also I found the entire spandex thing in of itself pretty ridiculous until fairly recently.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Blah blah blah it's not spandex blah blah blah buckytubes blah blah blah unstable molecules blah blah blah

That said, even if one doesn't like Power Girl as a character or for having huge boobs and bringing down the cause of women all around the world, etcetera, her last solo series is more fun that a barrel of monkeys in tutus drinking champagne. 
  • That said, even if one doesn't like Power Girl as a character or for having huge boobs and bringing down the cause of women all around the world, etcetera, her last solo series is more fun that a barrel of monkeys in tutus drinking champagne. 

Actually I never even implied I disliked Power Girl. :|
  • -note to self: make sure none of the girls in Sparks have boob windows-
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I was shilling a good fun comic to everyone, not you. 
  • Well the top part was a reply to me so I assumed the bottom part was too.
  • edited 2012-06-23 19:52:18
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    My mistake, then.

I saw Ultimate Avengers last night and...it's not very good. It's not bad by any stretch of the term, it's just...kind of mediocre. 

It has the Ultimates' plot of bringing together a paramilitary group under the authority of SHIELD to fight aliens, but with the Avengers' characterization: Steve is humble and out of time, Iron Man is "not" Tony Stark, Janet is infatuated with Hank, and Thor boasts of slaying giants drinks and drinks and drinks. 

It's like they tried to combine things from Ultimates that they loved with things from Avengers that they loved, which they failed at, because they didn't pay attention to tone and how each thing worked the way they did. The Ultimates are big and huge and utterly ridiculous which makes them working for the industrial-military complex and having huge egos and doing utterly fucked-up things so natural. But the Avengers are true-blue superheroes who fight crime when not shooting aliens and actually like and care for each other. Combining the two just...doesn't mesh.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ...I should read some Power Girl
  • Alternately, you should read Spinerette for the pages about Ms. Venus/Super MILF
    Does she have big ones too?

/way to not stereotype yourself anymore Imi
  • Power Girl's costume is basically your typical comic book writer trying to capitalize on the fact that horny teenagers buy comic books. The New 52 took that away, though (To quote Haven: It took a reality reset to get women to not wear skimpy dresses in battle)

I also just read the first twelve issues of the Young Avengers, it was rather sweet stuff. It's funny that these days, the non-actual-Avengers books are better at capturing the feel and wonder of the Avengers better than the actual Avengers comics.
    Blah blah blah it's not me being lewd blah blah blah I wanted to put an 'S' there blah blah blah but I'm so empty inside blah blah blah so I didn't put anything there blah blah blah
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Dr McNinja is probably my favourite

Also, something I can't stop thinking about:

Jesus drove out evil demons and did miracles. Wouldn't that technically make him a super hero?
  • There are arguments that the modern superhero tradition borrows quite a lot from the Bible (I see the assorted prophets cited more often than Jesus, though).

I suppose if you wanted to use a really elastic definition.

• so I'm reading Doom Patrol again and Mr. Nobody just casually alluded to The Banana Splits.

I will now officially never be surprised again.

There are many things that are considered super heroes by the populace that don't fit general dictionary descriptions. So I just go with the "I'll-know-it-when-I-see-it" philosophy.

That said, Jesus, the prophets, and the Judges are probably considered "culture heroes" like Gilgamesh or Arjuna because they are keystones in a nation's cultural consciousness, who lay down laws and do great deeds that mold nations even today, whereas superheroes exist within civilization, fighting crime and defending cities and the earth.

Culture heroes create civilization, superheroes defend it. 
  • I think I'm a little bit tired of superheroes

I used to like superheroes, and most of the characters that I created had mystical powers or cyborg supplements. They had the general feel of Marvel Super-Heroes (i.e. they're much like the average human) but with DC levels of power.

Nowadays, most of my heroes, while still having some superpowers, are more like civil servants than heroes. Most of them are under the employ of a city/state rather than working across the country, and they work almost exclusively in teams. The only team that resembles a standard superhero team is specifically designed by the government in order to garner public support.

I'm not sure why this is happening.
    I never had much interest in superheroes to begin with, and I think KC's post up there hints at why - it's the culture heroes who fascinate me.
  • edited 2012-06-25 22:47:09
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    One can be both, truth be told. A soldier with a shield can bring illumination and light to an entire nation while a sun-god playing a man has inspired a generation. 

But truth be told, I'm just interested in people. Adding spandex, power armor, or the light of the stars just makes their struggles all the more vivid, imaginative, and simpler. Even the effect these icons have on the public consciousness is a fascinating thing to understand.
  • So after reading about Empowered, I have come to the conclusion that it is the most fucked up comic I've yet read about.

I really do not uh....yeah.

I dunno.

Just wow.

What's wrong with it?
  • Eh.

Just. Just read the page on TVTropes.

I mean, it's apparently supposed to be a really dark comedy. But at some point it gets too dark to be funny, in my opinion.

Or maybe it's a dramedy and I'm missing the point, I don't know.

All right. *goes to read*
  • There's an online preview available, but it's only a dozen or so pages and it's of chapter five, meaning you get stuff like this

with no context.

• and then two pages later this happens

AM I SUPPOSED TO BE LAUGHING OR CRYING RIGHT NOW.

Some of the stuff under Nightmare Fuel seems pretty fucked up.
  • ^^I thought that was really sad, but then I realized that Empowered has fish lips. Like, I could surgically remove those lips and put them on a flounder and no one would ever know.
    Her lips are rather unattractive, methinks
  • Yarrun said:

^^I thought that was really sad, but then I realized that Empowered has fish lips. Like, I could surgically remove those lips and put them on a flounder and no one would ever know.

Her lips make it less sad? :|
  • edited 2012-06-26 02:37:58
    It makes her look ridiculous and the scene less sad. Adam Warren tends to draw people with big lips.

That said, yes, I agree that Empowered is a really fucked-up comic. It started out as a series of commissions for "superheroines in distress" and mutated into the comic you see today. Even now it is extremely dark, with elements of fetishism (but never downright going into masturbatory fetishism), grief, madness, and futility. 

But if you can accept and get past the scantily-clad babes and ultra-violence, there's an exceptionally good comic with a lot of heart about a young woman who struggles to be at peace with herself and do good in a world that places appearances and superficiality over the right thing and the right intentions.
  • The sadness will last forever.

Empowered?! Did someone mention Empowered?! I love the comic!

• edited 2012-06-26 03:39:40
    "In the fury of bright crayola colors, broken bounds, and sound effects that can burst your eardrums if you let them, the themes may seem unfamiliar but trust me, those are human stories, writ large, dressed in capes and riding magic carpets to other universes..."

Grant Morrison, Seven Solders.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Empowered is very odd and not my thing, but I love the art. That's all done with pencil, I believe.
  • I am reading about Frank Miller's All Star Batman and holy shit, I mean I knew it was where the whole "goddamn Batman" thing came from, but I seriously had no idea how bugfuck insane this whole thing is

this is great.

I need to get this now.

• actually I'm sorry, let me take all that back

because Batman: Odyssey is so. much. more insane.