Man...

2»

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Me neither.

That's kinda disappointing, to be honest.  The anime was one of my favourites I've seen, and I don't generally like anime that much.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Man, how did this thread get to be nearly all about anime? It's not like we started off with a clip of it or anything.
  • That's just my opinion (I'm very particular about books, tbh), a lot of people seem to love the novels. I'm just not one of "a lot of people", in this case.

Man, how did this thread get to be nearly all about anime?

I dunno. How do half the threads in this forum get to be about horses or homestuck?

Those fall under anime, though.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Derails are fun.
  • Those fall under anime, though.

Only in the mind of a madman, sir.

Though I was being facetious, you could make a decent argument for that being the case. "Anime" in Japanese means any sort of animation, including American kinds. Horse and Homestuck is certainly relevant to that meaning.
  • You could make a decent argument if "anime" the Japanese-descendant loanword meant the same thing that "anime" the actual Japanese word does.
  • edited 2012-05-10 23:33:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ There was a project to translate Homestuck into Japanese.  I don't know how far that's gotten or if that's still going.

^ Yeah true.
  • edited 2012-05-10 23:48:53
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'd be far more impressed if they tried to translate it into Chinese.

But then, I'm horribly, horribly biased.
  • edited 2012-05-10 23:58:31
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    ^^^^I'm aware it doesn't, but depending on the person, there can be ambiguity on which one is being used.

Granted, using the latter in English conversation is just being difficult.

^China doesn't have internet.
    Yes, they do. I lived there.

They just use their own social networking and entertainment sites.
    Did you really think I was being sincere?
  • edited 2012-05-11 00:05:49
    I can't tell tone of voice for shit on the internet. No-one can.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That makes communication harder, surely?
  • edited 2012-05-11 00:12:45
    I thought the Chinese government's heavy censorship of the internet was common knowledge, which was why I expected my claim to read as a joke.
    I took it instead as a jab at them not being developed.
  • edited 2012-05-11 01:50:09
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Yeah, that works, too.

That reminds me. This other exchange student who was from Holland told me about his experience with his Chinese roommate. The roommate was incensed by the guy's accidental slamming of a door, which prompted him to insult the European by saying "I think you are from a developing country." implying that he wasn't accustomed with the developed world's etiquette.
  • "All of that however, is irrelevant. As Haruhi is a terrific anime based on a series of novels that are total and utter shit."

Funny, I thought it was the other way round (the quality, not what's based on what). I liked the novels (at least the fan translations of it), but the anime mostly bored me. The first episode (the one with the bad film) was pretty good, but the rest... well, let's just say that I never bought any DVD besides the first and don't plan to change that. I'm considering the movie, but I doubt that I will actually get it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ^^ Heh, I'd imagine that could get ugly fast, "I'll have to remember that one the next time your country threatens the life of a social activist..."