Man...

edited 2012-05-09 22:03:45 in General

This was the shit back in the day.

#stuffyou'llhavetotellyourkidsinthefuture

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I have the DVDs.

I'll make Lain watch them when she's old enough to understand. :P
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    You and I have a different concept of "back in the day"...
  • awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

WAY BACK, IN 2006, KIDS DIDN'T HAVE SMARTPHONES! THEY HAD TO USE CELL PHONES!

MANY OF US DIDN'T HAVE FLAT SCREEN T.V.S!

YOU COULD ONLY GET GPS IN YOUR CAR.

Man, people where made of sterner stuff back then.
  • <_<

I still need to get around to watching Haruhi. It looks fun, but I got bored during the first episode (broadcast order).
  • man i will never show my kids anime

Then they'll grow up otaku, just to spite you...

Or is that your plan?
  • no my plan is not to show my kids anime and have them be the kind of people who are like 'oh anime is that cartoons from japan? they're kind of weird and have tentacles right' and thats all they know

well that and Miyazaki, but everyone can make exception for Miyazaki
  • question: do you actually have a kid called Lain and her name is really Lain, like Serial Experiments Lain, and you named her after Serial Experiments Lain

Her full name is Laila-Lain, but other than that, that's pretty accurate. 

• edited 2012-05-10 05:16:23
    In 50 years, I will tell my hypothetical grandchildren about the time, Japanese cartoons were the shit. And when they ask what this "Japan" is, I'll tell them about the time, when the world was divided into multiple "countries", instead of being unified under a single Ethiopian Empire. I'll watch their disbelieving expression when I tell them about the time, where not every single thing was trademarked and required an overly long trademark notice, even when you just say them, while I drink my Syntho-Tea (Syntho-Tea is a trademarkeded brand of the TotallY-RealZ-DrinkZ Company, a subsidary of TotallY-RealZ-FoodZ Corp., all rights reserved) with milk (milk is a trademarkeded brand of the Dairy-Products-From-Real-Robot-Cows Company, a subsidary of Stuff-From-Bots Corp., under license from Geez-This-Post-Is-Way-Too-Long-Again-And-Consists-Solely-Of-Bullshit-Which-Also-Shows-How-Fucking-Bored-I-Am Corp., all rights reserved).
  • edited 2012-05-10 08:25:43
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I hope I don't end up trying to get my kid(s) to check out TOO much shit they don't care about. I mean, it's be cool if we could share some interests, but I get that they're going to be their own person with their own tastes.

And the new stuff that comes out 20 years from now is sure to be at least as interesting as the stuff that comes out now. Provided we don't end up in some apocalyptic hellscape where America is taken over by gay Jewish Mexican terror anchorbabbies and bands of Obamacare deathpanels patrolling on motorcycle.
  • edited 2012-05-10 08:07:58
    "I hope I don't end up trying to get my kid(s) to check out TOO much shit they don't care about. I mean, it's be cool if we could share some interests, but I get that they're not going to be their own person with their own tastes."

Agreed. But if my kids don't like Doom, Alien, Chiptunes, Miyazaki movies and sliced bread with cheese, I'll disown them.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Derp, I realized I put a negative in a bad place there.

• man i will never show my kids anime
  • edited 2012-05-10 12:32:06
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I never really got the anime hate.

It's just a bunch of shows from a specific country. It has bad and good shows and bad and good fans.

By now it feels like anime is just another thing you can chose to watch, instead of a lifestyle. 

I guess there are con's and clubs still, but it's not like those things are predicates to watch a television show.
  • but everyone can make exception for Miyazaki
    My nonexistent children will grow up on Humphrey Bogart.

He's pretty cool, but having nothing but a handful of movies to show your hypothetical children might get hypothetical boring pretty quick.
  • Movies?

I'm not letting a TV in my house, they can look at movie posters.

HUMPHREY BOGART'S ANTICS WILL BE EXPLAINED VIA ELABORATE PUPPET SHOW!
    My children will read books.

I'm not having children, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Easier said than done
  • The fact that the mouth is so out of sync with the singing in that video bugs the shit out of me.

Cmon Kyoto, if Team Four Star can simulate singing very accurately with just Audacity and Adobe, for like, free, the least you can do is devote your budget to making the singing look better.

</assrant>

Also, I don't want my children to like anime on the level I do.

Like, watching Adult Swim late at night to see Trigun is fine, but the moment I start seeing boot-legged Moe series on my computer I'm shutting that shit down.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I got bored during the first episode (broadcast order).
    It's actually the first episode in DVD order, too. Which honestly, was a terrible idea. I prefer broadcast order anyway, but meh.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'll let my kids watch or read anything, so long as they tell me first so I can tell if it's good or not and we don't end up with two copies of the same thing.
  • I've come to like about half the things I was "raised to" like.

Biggest example is probably the Halo franchise, which my stepdad introduced me to. I am now several orders of magnitude a bigger fan than he is. And my introduction to anime was watching heavily edited Sailor Moon on Toonami with my mom. I also have a half-Japanese cousin who's a big otaku, so I'm sure that helped too.

Who wants to get into a raging debate about which Arbiter best fulfilled the spirit of the position?

I never really got the anime hate.

"It's from Japan, therefore it is weird/pedoshit/other thing you don't like"

to be fair, it's not like I watch a lot of say, Russian animation, either.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Well that was back in the day
    And maybe you weren't there
    Doesn't matter anyway
    Cause you wouldn't understand
  • I still say that Spirited Away and Summer Wars are two of the best movies ever made, for the record.

Likewise "Dimension Bomb!!!" and short films.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I'd say that at least part of the anime hate comes from the tendency for the fans to be completely crazy about their stuff.

Of course, that's rather common among most nerd interests, I suppose.
  • You're confusing "anime fans" with "Sankaku Complex users", you see.

Now, I enjoy my Touhoe memes, but I am not one of those people who thinks that ZUN is smarter than Einstein.

Likewise I don't consider anime to be inherently better than any other medium (there is, indeed, some truly shitty anime. Which tends to not get dubbed, creating an illusion of superior quality to some), but I don't consider it any worse either.

A lot of people seem willing to dismiss anime out of hand just because it is anime, which has always struck me as a weird thing to do. I can think of few shows with less in common than Serial Experiments Lain and Lucky*Star, yet people lump them together for some strange reason.

[that said, I like both. Though the former far more than the latter]

Also, I find the concept of "nerd interests" bizarre. If you want people who are crazy about what they like, go to a football game sometime. Either kind of football, actually.
    Nah, I'm confusing anime fans with "half the anime fans at my college"

Seriously, they're like drug pushers.

And I suppose you're right about nerd interests. Hell, sports fans are worse.
  • edited 2012-05-10 22:04:57
    Generally, Ghibli films get off the hook from the stigma anime usually gets for appealing to non-fans. They have great animation that still mesmerize fans with its fluidity and personality, and from the low-key My Neighbor Totoro to the sprawling epic Princess Mononoke, they're usually masterpieces of storytelling and visual design that put Disney's best to shame.
  • "half the anime fans at my college"

I guarantee you that they've visited Sankaku Complex at least once.

for being legitimately good.

and other anime is somehow illegitimately good? Or not good? Or...something?

• Fixed that. What I meant to say was that it appealed to an audience that doesn't watch anime on a regular basis.
    The only thing my parents introduced me to that stuck was Star Trek. Oh, and the Narnia books.
  • edited 2012-05-10 22:10:10
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fixed that. What I meant to say was that it appealed to an audience that doesn't watch anime on a regular basis.

oic

• edited 2012-05-10 22:25:01
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I think I've been to Sankaku Complex once, maybe twice. I don't want to go back, like, ever. To (possibly mis)quote Linkara, "It's like there's a thin layer of icky on every page of this crap!"

(And just for the hell of it, I just Googled "thin layer of icky" Linkara, and one of the hits is...me using the phrase on TVT, in regards to his mention of Sonichu in the "comics he won't review" episode.)
  • I will explain to my kids my views on anime, what makes an anime exceptional and what makes an anime bland and uncreative. I will teach them to love unique plots, to look for realistic (or, at the least, unique) characters rather than carbon copies of common Anime stereotypes. And then I will unleash them onto the world, and I can only hope that they take my lessons to heart.

(Wait, since when are we having children?)
  • Also, most people that I hang out with who don't like anime usually have tried it. They just don't like the medium.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One just doesn't like cartoons

The other just doesn't like anything east of France (she doesn't like Germanic, Russian or Oriental languages, or anything tied to them)
    I will sit down my son and say "Son, Anime is just like everything else. Which means that 90% of it is shit. Now run off and watch Miyazaki while I go have sex with Daddy Naney."
  • The other just doesn't like anything east of France (she doesn't like Germanic, Russian or Oriental languages, or anything tied to them)

Well that's just....weird.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    First episode of Haruhi was amazing.  Completely atypical, but hilarious.  And broadcast order > chronological order.  Broadcast order you get an actual story arc, chronological order you get a series of anticlimaxes.

And I'm never having kids so what I would show them is irrelevant, but I can't see myself ever forbidding much anyway.
  • Chronological order also makes a lot more sense.

I found the broadcast order to be confusing for all the wrong reasons.

All of that however, is irrelevant. As Haruhi is a terrific anime based on a series of novels that are total and utter shit.

• edited 2012-05-10 23:07:07
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I haven't read the books.  I was meaning to give them a look some time, but maybe it's not worth it in that case.

And yeah, chronological order is more straight-forward, but IMO you lose a lot of the suspense that way.  I definitely felt the broadcast order was intriguing rather than confusing.
  • The plot is pretty good, great in places, but they're poorly written enough that I honestly find them mostly unreadable.

I'm told they're better enjoyed in the original Japanese, but that's irrelevant to me since I neither read nor speak the language.