Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Mojave: But they weren't a part of the Roman Empire, so they would have never been a part of that centralized authority, would they? :?
  • Kexruct said:

honestly Thrift Shop's only message has ever seemed to me to be "don't pay absurd sums of money for clothes, even if you could hypothetically afford them", the rest of the song is just silliness surrounding that theme, and honestly if that's a bad message we may need to rethink our definition of a bad message.

Yeah, that's what I originally got from it too. 

My friend, I have realized, is a lot more angry at things than I allow myself to be. Considering that there are things to be angry about with Macklemore, that may have shaped her feelings.
    I'm kind of confused by this last part.
    Ah, well

It's basically placeholder text that says 'I've gotten myself into a conversation that I don't really want to have and this is my way of getting out of it'.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Thrift Shop, at least its video, suggested a message of unity to me...thrift stores are for everyone.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    thirft stores are so cool
  • how does one get a name like "Macklemore" anyway? The first I heard of him was when I read a feature about indie rappers in XXL several years ago about him playing at a block party and it struck me as a weird stage name then too.
    Zersk said:

Mojave: But they weren't a part of the Roman Empire, so they would have never been a part of that centralized authority, would they? :?

such differences were not noticeable to the people of Europe at the time, except perhaps their own historians.
  • Huh, okay. :o
    "Macklemore" sounds like the name of a university in Indiana to me...
  • Anonus said:

"Macklemore" sounds like the name of a university in Indiana to me...

you know

that's understandable.

ladies and gentlemen, i now present to you the world's most discreet redesign

they haven't revealed it in full yet (it's only on the Not Found page rn) but still
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    If they go black and neon orange/pink I will love that.
    The logo doesn't look that much different from the current one.
  • I think it's just a flattened version of the current one.  Assuming it's actually a new logo and not just a variant for that particular page.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The only other change I noticed is that they removed the leftmost serif from the u so the t could be jammed right up against it. Part of me suspects this is just a bizarre one-off rather than a new logo, but time will tell.
    Hey, Yahoo!'s gotta put their stamp on their newest property somehow...you know how sometimes new ownership likes to make logo changes, no matter how minor
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Not enough "roman" gilding
    At first I wanted to take a break from Tumblr but then I started reblogging stuff again.
  • Part of me suspects this is just a bizarre one-off rather than a new logo, but time will tell.

I would have thought so too (Tumblr does tend to do that sort of thing, after all), except there was also a slight change to the favicon as well that uses the new "t" and flattens it.

• Justice42 said:

ahahahahaha

ahahaha

ha

-brain explosion goes here-
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...oh hey, I hadn't noticed the new favicon till now. Sneaky!
    I'd noticed it, just never said anything about it. The old one still seemed present on error pages...
    I notice that the captions in the images under the comic are set in Omnes

Anyway, I am impressed somehow that a popular webcomic made fun of Gothamania
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Justice42 said:

Welcome to tumblr Memorial Hospital. The reception desk is just ahead. 
  • edited 2013-09-09 19:07:36

• edited 2013-09-09 19:21:55

Please don't drag your outside drama onto our forums.
  • Why is the Nobel Prize in Literature almost always given to a novelist, never a scientist? Why should we prefer our literature to be about things that didn’t happen? Wouldn’t, say, Steven Pinker be a good candidate for the literature prize?

Richard Dawkins in this interview [New York Times]

(via thenoobyorker)

Why should we prefer our food to be made out of things that aren’t computers. Isn’t it about time we began eating computers? Why can’t more dogs talk? And of the dogs that do talk, why are so many of them fictional? Shouldn’t, say, Steven Pinker’s dog begin talking? Throw off the yoke of superstition.

Furthermore, why can’t I have a car that has wheels that roll sideways? And why can’t Iron Man beat Goku? What if, say, Steven Pinker designed Tony Stark’s armor? What if I could fly? What if teeth were made of pineapples? Makes you think. 

(via century-of-clods)

• edited 2013-09-16 18:32:35

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IT WAS ON THE SECOND PAGE

;_;

THE SECOND PAGE
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

;_;

THE SECOND PAGE
    Wuzza on the who now?
  • (*grotesque sobbing, lamentations, gibbering*)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    While I really don't want to fall into this terrible trap of getting angry over stupid things that people like Richard Dawkins say—there really is no point in it anymore—I think that the retorts are pretty easy: The Nobel Prize in Literature is supposed to be governed by the cultural value and literary merit of the writing itself. If a scientist pens a book on his or her chosen field with the due degree of verbal elegance and (to borrow from the quoted party) memetic impact, then s/he shall be eligible for the prize. If not, then there are plenty of other Nobels that they are potentially eligible for anyway.

Also, complaints about the merit of fictional narratives as contributions to society are very old hat, particularly for someone who once made a study of the nature of culture and ideas.
    Kexruct said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

;_;

THE SECOND PAGE
    Wuzza on the who now?
    You resurrected a thread that has been the single largest drama magnet on this site and made my boyfriend cry doing it. Repent.
  • Dawkins needs to be officially granted his No Fun Hat, so everyone knows he is officially a No Fun Grump.

^He doesn't have to read it.
    REPENT, INFIDEL.
  • REPENT, INFIDEL.
    fine

I hate everyone.

*Gives Mo his No Fun Grump hat*
    OK, to diffuse some of this ridiculous tension, I will now begin posting a metric craptonne of cool stuff that I have found on Tumblr, avoiding politics, social justice arguments and outrage over dumb statements with as much grace and poise as I can muster.

Shall we?

Yes, we shall.

While the shoes in the Holocaust Museum are indeed disturbing and a human tragedy, this isn’t them.
    It’s the lasts made for people’s shoes by Lobb, a traditional boot and shoe maker in London. They measure your foot, make a wooden last that matches your foot, then make a shoe on that last. These are the lasts of the dead people, in the basement of Lobb’s shoesmaker’s of St. james,  which are ready to be thrown away…
    (They’ve kept many of the lasts of the famous: Queen Victoria’s, Princess Diana’s, Frank Sinatra’s etc…)

I found this very cool and poetic.
  • Interetsing memento mori there.
  • Kexruct said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

;_;

THE SECOND PAGE
    Wuzza on the who now?
    You resurrected a thread that has been the single largest drama magnet on this site and made my boyfriend cry doing it. Repent.
    Incorrect. The largest drama magnet was the thread concerning Tvtropes that resulted in people getting banned and the thread being locked.

This is in second place, and it always will be.

^ Let us not speak of that. Such was before my time at the Masterheap and thus is beyond both the full scope of my knowledge and any bearing on the present that is not stupid. Stupid drama. Stupid, stupid drama.

*ahem*

Moving on.

Degenerative Cubism afflicts 12% of Spanish cattle. If the disease were ever to become airborne, it’s estimated that all beef cattle in the country would be little more than a few lines leaving the impression of cattle within one month.

A realism vaccine was developed in 1994 but has occasional surrealist side effects, turning 2% of cattle injected into two arguing mimes and a waffle.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The TVT thread was one of the most interesting threads, it's a shame it attracted the attention that it did. Not surprising at all, especially for HH, but I miss it nonetheless.
  • edited 2013-09-16 20:03:55
    (flower path)
    The thread concerning TV Tropes?  What happened?
  • Could someone explain it in PM?

I don't think I trust myself with a TvT conversation.
  • Kexruct said:

Could someone explain it in PM?

there was a great yelling, and then death.
  • Not to me, ya dingus.

Kexruct said:

Could someone explain it in PM?

there was a great yelling, and then death.
    That is actually a pretty apt description of how that thread ended...

But seriously, this is not the right thread for this. This is the Tumblr thread. If any drama is to be had, it is Tumblr drama, and no sane person here wants to talk about Tumblr drama anymore, so let us please drop this and move on once and for all before I start stabbing myself with kitchen utensils.
  • edited 2013-09-16 20:18:47

do not make my boo stab himself with kitchen utensils

do not make him spill his own life blood in vain
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    But if he spills his blood it will be out of vein.