Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I'm so conflicted. I kind of want to make another tumblr so I can annoy you all more effectively, but part of me is just far too jaded on tumblr.
  • edited 2013-01-13 16:52:33
    So, I think I've discovered the problem with tumblr.

Due to the way it's designed, you will inevitably surround yourself with people you agree with no matter how stupid your opinion is.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    See also: Facebook, Twitter, Google's search algorithms
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Kexruct said:

So, I think I've discovered the problem with the Internet.

Due to the way it's designed, you will inevitably surround yourself with people you agree with no matter how stupid your opinion is.

• a8 said:

And us to an extent.
  • edited 2013-01-13 16:56:18
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Kexruct said:

Yeah. At first I was psyched about that, then it just got really boring really quickly.

^Just about every online (and most offline) community ever.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I yearn for the day that a post of mine reachs a 1000+ notes or 100+ notes

Oh..god...i went so low..wanting a lot of notes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The highest I ever got was 341.

If I posted Homestuckstuff I'm sure I could beat that, but why bother
  • edited 2013-01-13 16:58:51
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^^It's a surprisingly empty feeling.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Kexruct said:

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Kexruct said:

So basically, its like every other internet community then?
  • Not really. Even TvTropes wasn't a huge echo chamber. In fact, differing opinions is the reason why most of you, if I'm not mistaken, left.

Not necessarily with Facebook since you often attract family members and then FRIENDS of family members or non-direct family members like cousins or such. 

I rarely go on it, but my facebook page occasionally turns into a battle field with people arguing over differing political opinions. 

One of my friends post tons and tons of very far left (Democrat) political cartoons. My mom is following him and another one of her friends who posts mostly far right (Republican) political cartoons. 
  • But that's a whole different discussion.
    Kexruct said:

Not really. Even TvTropes wasn't a huge echo chamber. In fact, differing opinions is the reason why most of you, if I'm not mistaken, left.

I thought it was an echo chamber just not one I was comfortable with, which is why I left

^^It's a surprisingly empty feeling.

• I don't think there's a single person on my tumblr feed who I habitually agree with.

Elaborating that a post that gets well over 1,000 notes may only net you a couple of followers, if any.

It also gets kind of obnoxious, because Tumblr only shows you a certain amount of alerts for when something gets a note and it because difficult to figure out if your other posts are getting any activity. 
    What are notes?
    At times I'm tempted to clear out my Facebook friends list entirely, because it's almost all people I knew in elementary/middle school whom I haven't seen since and were never really close with.

That said, I will admit to having defriended at least one person in the past for constantly posting obnoxious political stuff (this was shortly after Sandy Hook and I couldn't stand yet another person ranting about guns), so the echochamber thing does hold true to some extent.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Justice42 said:

Elaborating that a post that gets well over 1,000 notes may only net you a couple of followers, if any.

And oftentimes, they're not the kind of followers you actually want.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I keep my facebook friends trimmed down to people I actually consider friends and not merely tolerate. There's also quite a diversity to them -- I have a screenshot of my feed somewhere where my friend who's working to become a Christian minister posted his thoughts on a Biblical verse, and immediately below that one of my very atheist friends posted a picture of a church burning in Norway
    Cream said:

CA I recommend staying away from Facebook, unless there is something there that you really like to do, or there are people that you really like to talk to there.

I don't particularly care for Facebook, honestly, but I use it to keep in touch with my relatives who live in Wisconsin.
    I only have a facebook for people I know well
  • edited 2013-01-13 17:31:46
    ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^Same. I just finished cleaning out my friend list recently.

What are notes?

When your post gets "reblogged" or "Liked", it gets a note.
  • ^^It's a surprisingly empty feeling.

I wouldn't say it's empty. I'd say it's more like
    hate
    endless
    bitter hate
    at least, it becomes hate once you reach the 10000 mark. 
    Kexruct said:

Not really. Even TvTropes wasn't a huge echo chamber. In fact, differing opinions is the reason why most of you, if I'm not mistaken, left.

The place didn't start as one but it did end up as one.

I'm so conflicted. I kind of want to make another tumblr so I can annoy you all more effectively, but part of me is just far too jaded on tumblr.

I say do it and do what most sane people do and just stick to your dashboard. Easiest way of avoiding the crazy and stupid. 
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    soooo uh yeah

i have two followers now

damn you people
    i'm actually tumblr unfamous but i have nearly 200 followers
  • I have over 500 followers, though several are inactive and/or people who have multiple accounts so they can roleplay multiple characters. Like at least 5-6 of them are just one guy.

And some are people who I am not sure why they are following me 8ecause they are more the hipster 8log type and I have a Homestuck RP 8log.
    I'm more tumblr unfamous than everyone
  • I'm at 118. It's nice.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

pfft I don't even have one
    I seem to have held steady at 91 for a few weeks now. :\

I would like to at least break 100...
    I link to my Tumblr in literally every post I make here! :P
    Hee hee, thanks. 
  • Jeez, I only have 41 followers.
  • I wonder how many followers I will gain when I do my next giveaway.

It is going to 8e a Homestuck giveaway involving making Squiddle plushies.
  • You wouldn't need to feel 8ad. I certainly don't. ::::)

Though I do feel 8etter a8out entering the "I have made a handmade item" or "Oops I got this in the wrong size/ordered extras 8y accident/got the same gift from two people and can't return them" or "I will 8uy you an item from this we8site for $20" ones than the "I'm giving away a laptop and half the clothes in my closet!" ones.

It's like entering a drawing for anything else, really. And I figure the ones I host myself and any that I might win will end up 8alancing out.

(I actually did win one once; I got a Hero of 8reath hoodie and a few T-shirts 8ecause someone had gotten duplic8s.)

pfft I don't even have one
    Neither do I
  • Why did you grow a beard?
     Anonymous

For the same reason I secretly own Canada.