Gelzo GTFO of America

Comments

• Maybe it's a different species of crow?
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Maybe, but hey looked the same to me. I think I've heard about birds in different areas having "accents". I might try to look that up.
  • I guess it's possible. If people can develop different languages I don't see a reason why birds couldn't develop different calls from place to place.

Also, crows are cool.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Don't crows in Japan crack open nuts by putting them in front of heavy traffic? It's pretty interesting how they can learn to do things like that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I don't think that sort of problem solving is specific to Japanese crows.
  • Indeed, it isn't. And ravens are vastly more intelligent than even crows.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^I know that, yes.

They've also been trained to talk like parrots. Though I watched YouTube videos and I did not get the one with the deep, raspy voice I was promised by my friends.
  • edited 2012-03-26 21:52:33
    Dolphins are the fricking pimps of the animal kingdom, I tell you.
    It's too bad you're not supposed to like dolphins once you learn about some males' ... less than savory courtship behaviors. Except orcas, because orcas are awesome and also a type of dolphin.
  • edited 2012-03-26 21:59:09
    And even then, orcas are pretty much dire wolves of the sea.

Catchin' penguins in mid-air LIKE A BOSS.
    That has to be shopped, right? Anyway, isn't it the basis of bigotry to count a negative behavior exhibited by some members as representative of each? It should be okay to like dolphins in general if they aren't all rapists.
  • edited 2012-03-26 22:14:54
    Let's face it, dolphins are sapient creatures, and smart enough to have things like their own languages, even.

However, they're also non-human, which means that whatever moral standards they may have are doubtlessly completely alien to ours, so is it really fair to call behaviors that are common among them things like "negative" to begin with?

I wasn't disagreeing with you two there. The classic bottlenose dolphin isn't my favorite cetacean, but they're still pretty cool. I have no intention of letting that knowledge ruin them.
    I'm hesitant to let remarks about animals having a language go by unquestioned. There's a lot about the nature of human language that we've yet to understand, and we don't even "speak the languages" of other animals, so it's really hard to say how complex they are. They undoubtably communicate, but to say that it's language carries all sorts of assumptions that we're far from proving.

At least, I think so. I haven't seen all the relevant studies.
  • edited 2012-03-26 22:44:22
    You saw the link that was attached to that remark, right?

Asides from that, here's a relevant video.

http://embed.5min.com/517294833/
  • I don't particularly have the time to read that in full right now, but while I think it's general consensus that dolphins have a language, it's not general consensus that it works the same way human language does.

Which is what I think Gelzo meant by implications.

>implications.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    About the Crow thing: Gelzo, Crows have regional dialects

The Japanese crows are most likely literally speaking Japanese Crow as opposed to, say, American Crow

I find that fucking hilarious by the way :D
    I didn't literally say implications, though. And no, the different color of link text is too hard to see every time.
  • Well you said assumptions, which is similar to implications.

>assumptions

I know. 

Anyway.

I'm in Kyoto now. We went to another temple today that was going through some restoration from some earthquake. I think we ended up going somewhere we weren't supposed to, but none of the workers said anything to us.

My dad booked a room that he thought had two beds. I guess that isn't what "double" meant. It's pretty small, too. And there's only one room key, and you need to inset it into a slot if you want any of the room lights to be on. He's been complaining about it, but I don't really mind it that much. I'm more amused at the situation, really.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Yay Kyoto! 

There are shrines EVERY fricken' were in that bitch.

You should go to Nara...

See the daibutsu ...(also, check out Nigatsu-do above the Giant Buddhsit temple, that was my favorite shrine.)
    Nara looks like an interesting place. It's also appeared in Carmen Sandiego a few times as the representative Japanese city, I think.
    We saw the daibutsu yesterday. Today we went through some kind of garden villa shit, a bamboo forest, and a monkey park. I got to feed monkeys.

RE: Deer

Heh.

If my posts seem a little more causal or off-kilter, it's probably because I've had a couple of beers. The hotel here has them in vending machines. So awesome.

I do miss vending machines that dispense beer. Hotels seem to always have 'em.
  • Deer and beer, what a fun combination.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ As long as no Queer Deer are hit

Or Imma have to beat up Gelzo >:|

I'm sure he fears that.

So I've been in Osaka for about two days, I think. They speak less English here than Tokyo, but we can still get around. It helps a lot to know how to read kana.

I should be able to move into my dorm tomorrow. I can't wait to meet my... flatmates I guess? I really hope to make some friends here, because it's going to be pretty lonely otherwise.

Tokyo definitely sports more English speakers than the rest of the country...well maybe except Okinawa, or some such.
    Second day at the dorms, and first full day on my own.

Holy shit what a day. The dorm staff helped us get through some procedural bureaucratic BS on a trip to city hall, but we couldn't get it all sorted because of computer problems at the office. After that, there was stormy weather. I'd never seen weather that frightening.

I stayed indoors at a supermarket through the worst of it, but I still soaked my clothes after I felt safe enough to go out.

I also met a bunch of the other students. There was a Spanish student I met yesterday that was two doors down, yesterday I also met a female Malaysian student, today I met a Frenchman, two Germans (apparently a couple?), several (three or four, I think) Koreans, one female. For a while I was the only American I knew of, but I ended up meeting another American at the end of the day who was not only from the same state, but the same university and was staying in the door next to mine. Me, him, and the Spanish guy ended up watching Afro-Samurai in the latter's room.

It was interesting to have the experience of being an American and standing out on that basis. Even the Europeans made comments about how they should be able to learn better English talking to me, even though they were fluent by my estimation. One of the Koreans said talking to me was the first time he had conversed with a native English speaker. I've never really had a similar experience.

Everyone was so pleasant, I hope I can remember names and faces. Luckily the Spaniard set up a Facebook group, so that should make things more convenient.

I tell ya, I bet there's never been a day in my life more accurately described as an adventure than today. In spite of some of the troubles, this feels like it may be one of the high points in my life.
  • *secretly writes down Gelzo's story, planning to turn it into a series of light novels which will inevitably licensed into a manga and anime*

huh? I'm sorry, go on.

>.>

<.<

• edited 2012-04-03 18:55:39
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Hopefully the Malaysian student is a total Tsundere.  
    She seemed pretty cheery, so I'd doubt that.

If you guys want any more detail on anything, go ahead and ask. There have been a lot of things going on, so I haven't managed to get everything down.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    How's the food?
    It's good. You're better off if you like seafood and noodles, which I guess I do. The western food is a little different. I went to get some bread at the supermarket, and they didn't have anything like whole grain loaves. The closest thing was a pack of six thick slices of white bread. They have some different stuff at McDonald's, too. They use different patties, and the chicken strips had dark meat instead of white. The fries are exactly the same, though.

I went to one of those sushi places where they have the conveyor belt with food on it, and that was pretty cool. The prices were actually really good compared to the other restaurants I saw.

Some of the smaller restaurants have vending machines for meal tickets, so you just hand the server the tickets instead of having them deal with your order and change. A lot of places also give you free green tea.

Oh, and the portions are reasonably sized, as opposed to American restaurants where you sometimes have to feel physical discomfort if you want to clean your plate. Though, one time I got ramen at this one place, and I was pretty full afterwards.
  • edited 2012-04-04 07:44:35
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Oh, and rice. You're likely to be eating a lot of rice with the meals here.

Anyway, I had a lazy day today. I played video games, took a nap, screwed around on the internet, and decided to take a walk around to make sure I knew how to get to the campus without getting totally lost, and maybe get some more supplies.

By the time I arrived at the campus, it was dinnertime and I didn't feel like spending the entire time walking back, making food before eating it and depleting my reserves when there was a perfectly good cafeteria open. As it happened, I ran into the Germans by chance a second time. They were having trouble figuring out how to order, and I had eaten there two days prior, so I showed them how it went, and was even able to translate half of a menu item when asked what it was ("nasu"="eggplant"). So, I got to feel more or less helpful. Getting back to the dorms a kind of quest in its own sort of way, but the party made it back before succumbing to random encounters.

I mentioned that I met them randomly before, well, it was pretty interesting what happened. After heading out in the rain and getting off the closest station by my estimate, it was still raining really hard, and I wasn't sure I was going in the right direction. About a second after I held my forearm up to shield my face from the rain, and umbrella came over my head from behind me. I turned around to see the German couple (as I learned today that they are). It was sort of cinematic in a way. Meeting them so coincidentally twice in two days was interesting, and if I were superstitious, I might spout some garbage about fate or something.

Another thing interesting about Japan. Here, you see a lot of discarded umbrellas. I saw three of them today. I've decided to start taking pictures of them. I don't think japanhatesumbrellas.tumblr.com is taken...
  • It does sound like you're having an adventure.
    She seemed pretty cheery, so I'd doubt that.
    She has a tsunny disposition, then?
    She was wearing some sort of headdress. I think that's a Muslim custom, right?

She could have a Sunni disposition. Or maybe she was in a Shiite mood.
  • Gelzo you should totally start a fuckyeahdiscardedumbrellas tumblr

I'd follow you.

I'm a little curious about the ramen. What kinds did they have at the restaurant you were at (or any you happened to go to afterward)? I know some places sell soup with lots of toppings, and others have stuff that's more like Maruchan packets.