Sonic the Hedgehog Heap

edited 2012-03-12 03:39:34 in General Media
There has to be some other fans of the Sonic games on this forum

Now... How to start this thread...

How about which games you liked and which you didn't?

My favourites would have to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure, while I hate Secret Rings (Fuck. Putting. Sonic. On. Rails)

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well I'm a fan of the games too!

...games I did like...I've played some version of every console entry in the series to date, aside from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and both of the Sonic Storybook Series games. And of the two versions of Sonic Unleashed it's kind of a toss-up to which one I prefer. The Wii version seems to have less stupid roadblocks than the Xbox 360 version, but that one has more emphasis on the Day levels, whose gameplay I prefer to the Night levels (even though I don't hate the Night levels.).
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Moved to Media.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I am bad with categories

...Watching a walkthrough of 2006 and how the fuck is the ARMOURED head Iblis' WEAK point?

It's ARMOURED. ARMOUR =/= WEAK POINT, Sonic Team!
  • edited 2012-03-12 11:46:19
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ :< I miss my Chao
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Let's see... I played up to Unleashed console-wise.

I've played up to Rush Adventure handheld-wise.

Games I didn't actually like were Unleashed, either Riders, Advance 2 and 3, both Game Gear Sonic games(1 and 2) and Tails' Sky Patrol. Heroes was okay.
  • edited 2012-03-12 12:33:10
    Yeah, I liked one. Besides the Chaos Emerald mini-stages. Any game not mentioned that I would've played, I liked. Yeah, I liked 2006. Heh.

Sonic Battle and Tails Adventure are my two favorite handheld games.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Favorites: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Because everything after that doesn't exist, ha ha ha!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    YOU SPOKE THEM INTO EXISTENCE

Ah, whatever floats yer boat.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
     Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD are just amazing.

Sonic 3D blast was pretty lame.
  • "It's ARMOURED. ARMOUR =/= WEAK POINT, Sonic Team!"

Exactly, nohedgehog would ever see it coming!

I've only ever played the Genesis ones myself. Unleashed and Colors looked pretty cool, though the werewolf thing seemed kinda gimmicky.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ So you're saying that it is such a dumb strategy that they would take no measures to protect the armoured part further because who would be that stupid?
    Unleashed was mostly gimmicky as is. Not a bad game, but if you're a huge Genesis fan, you may want to skip it for Colors instead.

You barely control Sonic in the daytime stages(although it is somewhat fun). The only major platforming was done by the Werehog, and it was kind of mediocre. In the 360 version atleast, there's tons of "Press X to not Die" sections, so that's... not terribly fun for a Sonic game.

It's worth trying out, though. I'd rent it first.
    I keep forgetting Sonic 3D Blast even exists, to be honest (which is strange, as one of my favorite Sonic Adventure songs, "The Air" is a cover of the Genesis version's tune for Green Grove Zone Act 1).

Unleashed is a sort of transitional game that is supposed to be the franchise's first steps at getting back on its feet. In the 360 version, the Day gameplay is very speed-oriented, though rather awkward when combined with platforming (I think in Arid Sands Day Act 1 a high-speed section and a precision-platforming section are separated by an abrupt wall). There's also various plot and gameplay elements held over from the "worse" games in the franchise that would be gone after this one (the game-lengthening gimmick of the Werehog, Eggman bringing out an ancient evil in Dark Gaia and having said ancient evil turn out to be the real final boss).
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I like how Generations managed to rectify ancient evil and good old Eggman by having the ancient evil be a kind of machine that Eggman modified so he could control it :3
  • I liked Sonic Colors.

/nothing to add to this thread

• edited 2012-03-12 23:10:16
    I did like Sonic 3D Blast, but I didn't consider it canon. It's just a Flickies game, like a sequel to it. More like a Crossover.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Hmm... if I got a headset, would anybody be interested in a Sonic LP from me (playing the typical Genesis games, Sonic 4 episode 1 (and 2 if that's out by the time I get to that part), and the 8 bit Sonic 1 and 2? Sort of a Sonicthon)? Or should I stick to the lesser appreciated titles (Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, the 8 bit Sonics, Sonic R, etc.)? Or would anybody give any sort of crap whatsoever?

And if people were interested, should it be live commentary or commentary made after the recording?
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ I've played the 8 bit Sonic 2 (got it on the Wii instead of the Genesis one by accident). I know it's hard. It is fuckballs hard
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    I loved Sonic 3D blast.  Sonic 2 was insanely hard, but surprisingly fun.
    Sonic 2 is excellent and awesome up through Metropolis Zone. After that I don't care.
    Sky Chase is boring. Forced scrolling = lose
    Wing Fortress has too many tricky jumps and an unfun boss.
    Death Egg Zone = no rings = lose

A shame, because up until then the game is solid gold.
    For some reason I like Wing Fortress Zone until the boss fight.
  • edited 2012-03-13 21:59:28
    ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^^^^^ I'm guessing you mean the non Genesis one

Maybe we should nickname those two Alt Sonic 1 and 2, or something?
  • edited 2012-03-13 22:07:04
    Sure, but it's still no fun.

I WANNA RUN FAST
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Mmm... A final non Super Sonic boss where you have to race Eggman through a large zone that is collapasing (Death Egg?) and steal his escape pod

Chooses a different route depending on your total best times. Sprite shows super speed shoes to explain Eggmans sudden speed. You can both attack each other to slow the other down
    I want a Sonic game with no bosses.

They'd never do it, but I would.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Or bosses which you race

That seems more Sonicy anyways. Bosses which you race against

Oh, and I just realized. In 2006 they blow out a flame to end Solaris... A god

Kind of a pathetic weak spot
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "Or bosses which you race"

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗

So wrong, yet so hilarious
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Sonic Generations is like...awesome and stuff.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I've decided on what to do for the LP:

-Sonic CD
    -That one game that only has Tails
    -Knuckles Chaotix
    -Sonic R
    -Sonic Adventure DX
    -Sonic Adventure Battle 2
  • edited 2012-03-14 19:23:40
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Not like Secret Rings/Black Knight were
    Squid, we mean like "on rails" as in say, Starfox 64. Not physical rails. Ideally, it's like railroading.
    In the Genesis games, there were often multiple routes you could take to get through each level.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    They have enough variance and give you enough control that it doesn't feel like it (also several levels do have alternate paths through them)
  • edited 2012-03-14 23:35:18
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    No, they're not railed. You see, we're talking about how the game forces Sonic(etc.) to move forward. But all the time.

It's the same as the Mach Speed sections in 06, or the Boarding(Snow/Sand) in Sonic Adventure. Those are "on rails" gameplay.

What you're referring to is a "linear level". On rails levels aren't automatically linear. You can be on rails and choose another path.
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ^ Yeah. Black Knight was better about it, but it was still blatant (With Secret Rings a snail could back up faster than Sonic and Sonic autoran unless you stopped him on purpose)