American "cuisine" is barely worthy of the name

2»

Comments

• there's pickles too
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Creamed spinach is pretty distinctly American, for the most part. We also seem to have taken collectively to leafy salads and coleslaw. Kale-as-trendy-ingredient is also an extremely American notion.

Also, steak as fine dining is more a consequence of the relative scarcity, tenderness, leanness/fattiness, and flavour of particular cuts of meat than anything else, and it's worth distinguishing something like flank steak or chuck from sirloin from, say, filet mignon or Chateaubriand. Which, you will notice, are French. Because steak snobbery is far from an American invention. It is also worth noting that most really classy steak dishes are not just cooked meat, but flavoured with sauces using liquors and spices which will tend to drive up the price a little. Have you ever had steak cooked in cognac before? It's awesome. But it's also not exactly cheap, even to make at home.

Anyway, I feel like bad internet people's obsession with the steak analogy comes from their lack of familiarity with actual fine dining and, more importantly, their lack of imagination, and I really don't want to continue to hear you grind an axe about people with no imagination, who are as a rule dead to me.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Speaking of uniquely American cuisine, you know what's a dish only you folks would eat?

Soylent. Only you folks would eat Soylent.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

"Chinese food" as most of us know it is primarily an American invention, based on some Taiwanese ideas.

Cantonese, too, as I understand it.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    A lot of Cajun food is pretty distinctly American, and it's pretty excellent. 
  • Cajun food may be one of the only good things to ever come out of Louisiana.
  • lee4hmz said:

"Chinese food" as most of us know it is primarily an American invention, based on some Taiwanese ideas.

Cantonese, too, as I understand it.
    Yeah, a lot of early Chinese immigrants to the US were from southeastern China, primarily areas with Cantonese-speaking groups.

There were also some American inventions thrown in, such as the so-called "crab rangoon", which is cream cheese in a dumpling wrapper, fried. Cheese doesn't exist in Chinese cuisine.
  • Speaking of uniquely American cuisine, you know what's a dish only you folks would eat?

Soylent. Only you folks would eat Soylent.
    Eh, I dunno...
  • kill living beings
    Actual human meat probably tastes a lot better than Soylent, assuming it's prepared competently.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay, not "Soylent Green is people."

The "open-source" Soylent made by Silicon Valley, for Silicon Valley.
    Webber said:

A lot of Cajun food is pretty distinctly American, and it's pretty excellent. 

I did note gumbo!

Cajun and Louisiana French culture is kind of interesting in general, in that it's both a time capsule of traditions and quirks of provincial Western and Northern French culture that have been marginalised in modern mainstream French and even Québecois society, yet also a melting pot of influences from Native American, German, West African and Spanish traditions. It's like what the rest of rural America might be like if it were still Nouveau France, and that's pretty neat.

Cajun food may be one of the only good things to ever come out of Louisiana.

Delta blues, zydeco and the Eyehategod school of sludge metal suggest some holes in your argument. Also, corrupt as the state government may be, the open primary and runoff system is actually really neat.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Not to mention jazz.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-27 18:33:46
    I thought about saying jazz but it wasn't exactly unique to Louisiana.  Though it was heavily rooted there so I'll concede it.  I'd really like to be able to point to Louisiana and give examples of it not being a shithole, and jazz is awesome.
    Oh, crap, true! Thank you! 0-0
  • TitleName said:

Keep your greens off of my burgers. >:T

• edited 2016-10-28 02:24:56
    I should make more of those.

Like "I EAT CANDY WHEN I WANT TO" and "I DESERVE THAT TOY".

Maybe I should also encourage someone to print them out poster-size and go to Trump rallies with them
    Seriously, why the fuck do you people eat that shit.
    Soylent.
  • i havent met a single person who consumes soylent in my life, IRL or online
  • Yeah I mean, me neither.

It's mostly.

Like in terms of actual usefulness, the only people I can think of who'd willingly eat it are people with serious sensory issues. In which case I don't think its existence is actually bad.

That said, that picture of the guy fucking chugging it is gross.
  • The guy who invented it was just epically lazy and didn't like preparing food.  Like not just cooking, but apparently preparing a fucking sandwich was too strenuous.
  • Sure but I wasn't talking about him. Lots of things get invented for stupid reasons.
  • I've seen the coffee/Soylent blend in the real world because one of my friends had a bottle. He offered some, but I passed.

Couldn't express to you exactly why, but as fascinating as it is in concept, I don't really find myself wanting to have an entire meal (or a snack, I guess, if one considers a sip) in the form of a slightly viscous liquid. I like food too much for that.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tiny said:

Couldn't express to you exactly why, but as fascinating as it is in concept, I don't really find myself wanting to have an entire meal (or a snack, I guess, if one considers a sip) in the form of a slightly viscous liquid. I like food too much for that.
    you and me both
  • still looks like milk