Nerds are whining about Ghost in the Shell and ignoring the true outrage

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Amen
  • Odradek said:

http://tobermoriansass.tumblr.com/post/143120210720/like-you-know-whatever-if-for-some-reason-the

I guess this is a big debate.

I should have just made this thread about Dr. Strange and not even mentioned GITS. I have failed at joke parsimony
    See if Kraken were still here he'd probably have something to say about this. As it stands, I am the only Asian guy and I have no idea what to say.
  • Like...I can't deny, Dr. Strange does look pretty damned orientalist to me.
  • Jane said:

really I'm pretty tired of "tumblr is too sensitive about media" as a joke in general, but that is just me.

Anyway you're right there should be at least 3 or 4 instances of WAND OF WATOOMB in that trailer.
    I wasn't joking...
  • Alduin said:

Jane said:

really I'm pretty tired of "tumblr is too sensitive about media" as a joke in general, but that is just me.

Anyway you're right there should be at least 3 or 4 instances of WAND OF WATOOMB in that trailer.
    I wasn't joking...
    I was talking to Odie actually.
  • I thought of Odio from Live a Live.
    Dr. Strange is orientalist to start, but then it's just a 60s dude going into rad 60s dimensions
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

I know this is petty of me, but part of me is kinda annoyed that Tilda Swinton still looks traditional-looking.

If you’re going to cast a white woman in that role, just go all the way and make her like Death.

I am disappointed at what feels like a "taming" of the psychedelic look of Dr. Strange comics by converting it into either vague Tibetan kung fu aesthetics or Inception aesthetics.
    Did they prëemptively kill the main thing I loved about those comics? Oh goddamnitall.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Odradek said:

I know this is petty of me, but part of me is kinda annoyed that Tilda Swinton still looks traditional-looking.

If you’re going to cast a white woman in that role, just go all the way and make her like Death.

I am disappointed at what feels like a "taming" of the psychedelic look of Dr. Strange comics by converting it into either vague Tibetan kung fu aesthetics or Inception aesthetics.
    Did they prëemptively kill the main thing I loved about those comics? Oh goddamnitall.
    Join us on our Marvel Fatigue Brigade :P

I mean judge for yourself
    I mean it looks like they're sticking so rigidly close to the canon for Strange himself that Benedict Cabbagepatch has to fake an American accent.
    Anonus said:

Odradek said:

I'm not going to because that implies that I don't have a generalised contempt for superhero movies at this point. I'm just annoyed that one of the few I could see myself giving a damn about seems like it's going to just be another technically impressive mehlstrom of vaguely generic visual excesses. Which I should have expected, and kind of did, but I'm still annoyed at the waste of potential.

And try as I might to avoid negativity here, and telling people what to talk about... god, I hate when y'all talk about "superhero movies" like they're a thing that deserves special attention or is any different from any other big dumb film trend. Fuck superhero movies. Fuck this nerd-pandering cookie-cutter sci-fantasy action schlock with a rusty chainsaw.

Anonus said:

Odradek said:

I'm not going to because that implies that I don't have a generalised contempt for superhero movies at this point. I'm just annoyed that one of the few I could see myself giving a damn about seems like it's going to just be another technically impressive mehlstrom of vaguely generic visual excesses. Which I should have expected, and kind of did, but I'm still annoyed at the waste of potential.

And try as I might to avoid negativity here, and telling people what to talk about... god, I hate when y'all talk about "superhero movies" like they're a thing that deserves special attention or is any different from any other big dumb film trend. Fuck superhero movies. Fuck this nerd-pandering cookie-cutter sci-fantasy action schlock with a rusty chainsaw.
    I'm pretty sure this has been my opinion since Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Odradek said:

Anonus said:

Odradek said:

I'm pretty sure this has been my opinion since Captain America: Winter Soldier
    But you still do it, and you frame it as being about the Marvel/DC thing, and who the fuck even cares about that shit?

It's not a personal attack, man, but it feels like you're enabling this line of discussion sometimes and I'd rather people, y'know, just talked about individual movies as movies instead of buying into this manufactured metanarrative that gives me Situationist cottonmouth.
  • Dude can you like chill the fuck out, please?
    Sure, okay.
    Also I mainly do that as a way to fracture the narrative by showing instances where DC is being more daring than Marvel, but yes reversing the narrative is not destroying it.

And it's a dumb, dumb, tedious narrative
    Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the fanbases of Gravity Falls and Steven Universe were divided along Disney/CN (well, Time Warner) lines instead of 99% overlapping
    Won't happen because no one is trying to fabricate that narrative.
    I know, it's just a funny thing to ponder (to me at least)
  • narraitives are weird
  • I'm not actually sure what narrative we're talking about.

Anyway, WAND OF WATOOMB and all that.
  • Jane said:

I'm not actually sure what narrative we're talking about.

the whole DC/Warner vs. Marvel/Disney whatever malarkey
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You know, nobody makes Scholastic Vs Random House book narratives.
  • I think the real narrative is that, as I have long suspected, Movies Are Bad, and should be replaced.

I propose we replace them with interactive animal petting centers.
  • Aliroz said:

that is probably for the best, honestly.
    Jane said:

Aliroz said:

that is probably for the best, honestly.
    Random House wins, because they own Little Golden Books

Jane said:

I was just commenting on how the rivalry seems to mean far more in superhero comics than it does cartoons
  • Jane said:

We should just make the videogame and be done with it
    You just know that in some alternate universe, Disney fanboys are forever holding Quest for Camelot above Warner fanboys' heads
  • edited 2016-04-21 03:09:20
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    GOSHDANGIT NONNY, THAT'S A CHEAP SHOT!

CAN'T NOTHING COMPETE WITH LITTLE GOLDEN BOOKS!

-uncontrollable sobbing from the half of me that loves Scholastic-

Scholastic has the star wars pull-out posterbook, though.
  • whatever happened to Scholastica anyway.

He knew things.
  • video games are worse than movies by a measure of endless fathoms, and are directly responsible for every negative feature of contemporary culture including dona
  • kill living beings
    knew too much
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    These are the same people who fantasize about contrived reasons for good guys to fight each other so they can definitively prove who would win. Of course they would try to turn the movies' success into a competition.

video games are worse than movies by a measure of endless fathoms, and are directly responsible for every negative feature of contemporary culture including dona

dona?
    Aliroz said:

GOSHDANGIT NONNY, THAT'S A CHEAP SHOT!

CAN'T NOTHING COMPETE WITH LITTLE GOLDEN BOOKS!

-uncontrollable sobbing from the half of me that loves Scholastic-

Scholastic has the star wars pull-out posterbook, though.

and they have Clifford, so they don't really lose
  • Honestly what are we even talking about?

You want to blame Odradek for this? Why? This entire thread exists as a vehicle for WAND OF WATOOMB jokes and now we have gone and made it awful.

Why are we talking about this? What is to be gained from this discussion at all? I would be angry with all of you if I were not simply incredulous, and you have all made me desire very much to take a nap. No one here seriously believes that the MCU/DCU thing matters. Not a person, but we're pretending someone here must. Again, why? I don't understand this at all. It is tiresome and boring and I would rather talk about almost anything else as long as it's not another one of the dozen subjects we can never seem to permanently let go of even though they stopped being relevant a long time ago.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've left my own thoughts on the subject off in my own thread.
  • kill living beings
    must be some kind of dark magic causing this

not the wands of watoomb though, those just shoot fireballs and scry
    (2015 self)
    W                                    B                         w
       A                              M    M                    A
         N                        O          O                 N
            D                 O                 O            D
               O          T                       T        O
                  F     A                            A   F
                     W                                  W
    (2015 self)
                          W
                        A   A
                      N        N
                   D              D
                 O                 O
               F                       F
              WWWWWWWWWWWW
             A                             A
            T                                T
           O                                   O
          O                                       O
         M                                          M
       B                                                B
    (2015 self)
    W                            W
    AA                          A
    N  N                        N
    D     D                     D
    O       O                   O
    F          F                 F
    W           W             W
    A             A            A
    T               T          T
    O                O        O
    O                   O     O
    M                     M  M
    B                         B
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Movies are bad.

But, the wand of watoomb is good, whatever it is. Nothing with a name that cool could be bad.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i don't know what a wand of watoomb is but it must be good
    (2015 self)
      W
    A     A
    N         N
    D              D
    O                 O
    F                      F
    W                       W
    A                          A
    T                             T
    O                               O
    O                                 O
    M                                   M
    B                                      B
    W                                  W
    A                                 A
    N                               N
    D                            D
    O                        O
    F                      F
    W                   W
    A              A
    T          T
    O     O
    M  M
    B  

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also, friendly reminder that quillsh wammy is an actual character in an actual manga
  • my review of Marvel/Disney's WAND OF WATOOMB movie:

(2015 self)
                                                     WWWWWWWWWWW
                                                A                                 A
                                           N                                          N
                                        D                                               D
                                     O                                                    O
                                   F                                                         F
                                   W                                                       W
                                    A                                                        A
                                      T                                                    T
                                             O                                        O
                                                 M                                M
                                                     BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB