Help Jane Recover From $75 Worth of Bank Debt By Buying Her Albums 2016

13»

Comments

• boom have bought
  • let me know what you think of the record! :>
  • i'll listen later tonight!
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I set up DLNA on my tv/computer specifically to listen to 610 BeatWitch! I am quite enjoying it. 
  • .u.

following the generous donations made yesterday I should have enough and some to spare on top of that (which I will use to buy chaaaaaaaaaaaps)

so thank you for everyone who helped me through this, you guys mean a lot to me c:
  • Battery was procured yesterday and I have $35(!!!) left over! 

This thread can be unpinned now! :)
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yay!
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Unpinned by request.

Congratulations, Mojave Jane. :3
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh. Right. I can pin and unpin threads.

But, yes, this is still awesome.
  • Hi.

Yes I desperately need money again. I've been talking about my PayPal situation at length and I'll not belabor the point.

My Aunt, who is a saint, pulled some strings at her credit union (also the place I bank with) and they froze my account. But I'm still $75 in the hole and need to cover the debt.

So, as usual, I'll point you toward my bandcamp page where there are a fine array of albums awaiting your purchase.

I'm sorry that I keep having to do this but stuff keeps coming up.
    Pinning in Talk again, although if you want me to move it to Members Only I can...
  • Looks like I've got some new music to listen to while reading!
  • I am about halfway there ($35ish out of $75) thank you guys so much :)
    Could you make Apartment pay-what-you-want instead of free? Because I want to buy it rather than just download it.
  • There you go.

Let me touch up the cover too so it's not all fucked up.
    Cool. I will buy it tonight, when my room is not a sweltering death cave. u~u
  • have fun!

(my more recent records are good too I promise)
    I have been meaning to listen to your latest for days but the days in question have been emotionally hectic and I want to give it my full attention, particularly since all the most recent stuff I've heard of yours has been pretty dope.

On a semi-related note, it would be cool if you had, like, a secret bonus edition to your albums where there are tracks that only show up if you pay <$3 or summat. Like, the album flows fine without them, but the experience changes and you get more out of it with the secret tracks.
  • I don't like doing that because I feel like I'm punishing poorer fans if I do.

and also that other thing's totally fair I suppose.
  • updated the album cover for Apartment. Changed the font, recentered it so that it now shows up properly on the Bandcamp page, and added a Diamondfish Records pisces stamp

incidentally, the images I cut up to make the original cover come from the Amanchu! manga.

Jane said:

I don't like doing that because I feel like I'm punishing poorer fans if I do.

and also that other thing's totally fair I suppose.
    You could always make the threshold really low. It's like a token of gratitude to the people who are helping you out by generously giving you their dosh, even if they don't have much.

I mean, the ideal would be to actually sell physical copies, and I would invest in your doing that should you ever decide to do so, just so you know, but that's a ways off.

Anyway, I realised it was tolerable up here before, say, noon, so I ducked upstairs to buy your stuff. I don't have much, but hey, it's something.
    For no sane reason I am downloading Scirocco and Apartment in FLAC and V0 MP3. It's a weird habit of mine when I buy things on Bandcamp, I think because I want both the highest quality transfer for my money and a copy I would actually listen to regularly.
  • I should tell you, I upload them in .wav format, but I convert those wavs from mp3s, so I don't think the quality is actually any better.

I don't bother because FLAC files take up a ton of space and I don't notice a difference.

Anyway I hope you like Scirocco.
    *shrug*

You should probably export and upload in WAV and just keep MP3 copies as reference material instead. It will subtly improve the sound if you reduce the number of generations involved, particularly with respect to compression.

I personally upload everything in 24-bit 96kHz FLAC because I am incredibly anal-retentive about sonic detail and it takes less time to upload than similarly hi-fi AIFF or WAV files which are fucking enormous. It also means that if I want to promote my music through leaking it via Perfectly Legal Channels, I won't be breaking any rules and it's, like, instant ratio improvement.
  • I am actually not entirely sure if you can export from FL Studio in FLAC, I've never tried.

I compress the hell out of things anyway so I don't think it actually matters at least not in my case.
    You can probably export in WAV, which is an interesting file format in that it can be anywhere from smaller than an MP3 to fucking huge depending on the established bit depth and bit and sample rates. 16-bit with a 44.1kHz sample rate is standard CD quality, with the bit rate of the raw files being around 1440 kbps, from which you can convert down to basically any other format, with formats like FLAC and ALAC being about half the size with no loss in quality and much smaller formats like MP3, AAC and OGG providing various compromises through different simplification algorithms, usually being between 64 and 320 kbps—or 448 for OGG, but nobody uses OGG except for movie file audio because it's a weird nerd format for weird nerds. If you're mastering for or ripping from vinyl or something, however, 24-bit and a much higher sample rate is preferred to get better head room on an analogue recording—subtle qualities in the sound altered by the inaudible high frequencies on the recording, for instance—so the lossless masters become even bigger to compute all that ghost information. But if you set the main parameters very low, the sound quality drops, naturally, but the file has to record much less information, so it can be quite tiny. In that fashion, WAV (and its Apple companion AIFF) are quite flexible.
  • Right but what I'm saying is that my music is almost entirely sample-based.

Even my drums are mostly samples (which I affect and layer and pitch in various ways, but samples nonetheless), the only actual sound generation that happens in my music is when I use my synths (which most people I imagine can't tell apart from when I use a synth sample in a sampler, not that I blame anyone for that).

So if I'm like cutting up a sample of Ghanian funk or whatever, and it was recorded on a 45 which some white dude from London picked out of a third-hand store in Accra and ripped to an MP3 back home so he could put it on a compilation which I later pirated, I don't know how much I can do to affect the sound quality, you know?
  • edited 2016-08-17 15:16:52
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...that last post of mine probably sounds like gibberish.

Bit depth is how many bits each sample can hold. Most CDs and MP3s are 16-bit, each sample able to contain sixteen bits worth of sound information in each modulated pulse that makes your speakers make sound.

Sample rate determines how many of these samples occur each second, as well as what the highest frequency sound a file can reproduce is: A 44.1kHz file reproduces 44,100 samples a second, and can reproduce pitches where the vibration is less than 44,100 times a second for that reason.

Bit rate determines the amount of information that is actually being conveyed each moment, however, and how much space the samples are collectively allowed to take up in a file. Usually, this is a product of bit depth multiplied by sample rate multiplied by channels: 44,100 samples times 16 bits times two channels in a stereo file is 1,411,200 bits each second, or 1411.2 kilobits per second.

As noted above, the average MP3 is way less detailed, and it compromises by cutting out redundant sounds with a special compression algorithm. This is an imperfect process, and it can screw up the sound of certain instruments, especially in the high range like cymbals. AAC and OGG use different algorithms with different tradeoffs.
    Jane said:

Right but what I'm saying is that my music is almost entirely sample-based.

Even my drums are mostly samples (which I affect and layer and pitch in various ways, but samples nonetheless), the only actual sound generation that happens in my music is when I use my synths (which most people I imagine can't tell apart from when I use a synth sample in a sampler, not that I blame anyone for that).

So if I'm like cutting up a sample of Ghanian funk or whatever, and it was recorded on a 45 which some white dude from London picked out of a third-hand store in Accra and ripped to an MP3 back home so he could put it on a compilation which I later pirated, I don't know how much I can do to affect the sound quality, you know?

This makes sense. Still, getting the best transfer that you can is important.
  • By the way I learned more about Ghana in the last ten minutes when looking up its capitol (Accra) than I have throughout my entire life otherwise.

Jane said:

Right but what I'm saying is that my music is almost entirely sample-based.

This makes sense. Still, getting the best transfer that you can is important.
    I dunno man it seems like a lot of extra work to satisfy very few people. I don't know anyone but you who listens to my albums in non-mp3 formats.
  • edited 2016-08-17 15:26:01
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I mean, contrary to what you might think, adding reverb or speeding up or slowing down a sample can chage the quality of the sounds in subtle ways that a further mid-to-lo-fi transfer is not going to fully reflect, because reapplying the sorting algorithms that cut out "excess" sounds will cut out even more of what you're sampling on some level. Granted, it's not very noticeable, but it's there, and it's worth having the best possible record of what you actually did.

That said, low fidelity has its own virtues, particularly when the degradation is part of a material process as with cassettes. So I get the point of it being part of the mood. But again, starting from a master with the most character possible—which in the case of digitally produced music generally means the most detail—is important to me, personally.

^ Not really. Just set your export to WAV, put the files in a special folder, upload, then make MP3s for yourself and ditch the masters.
  • I will consider it but I make no promises.

If I ever like expand Diamondfish Records into an actual business-business instead of a microenterprise I run out of my bedroom, then definitely, but I don't know about doing that right now. I'm mostly focused on the actual music itself.
  • I learned that word the other day when I was at the bank talking to a lady about this whole situation btw. "Microenterprise" is apparently what PPL Gold (and other credit unions maybe?) call businesses that make very small amounts of money and are run by just one person.
    (I don't ditch my masters unless I've made lossless copies because you never know what insane ahit might happen, but I guess it becomes redundant when everything is on Bandcamp.)
    Jane said:

I learned that word the other day when I was at the bank talking to a lady about this whole situation btw. "Microenterprise" is apparently what PPL Gold (and other credit unions maybe?) call businesses that make very small amounts of money and are run by just one person.

It is a good word.
  • (I don't ditch my masters unless I've made lossless copies because you never know what insane ahit might happen, but I guess it becomes redundant when everything is on Bandcamp.)

I try to hold on to MP3 copies at the very least since you never know if Bandcamp will get hit with a major hack someday or something, but it's hard when space is limited.

Jane said:

I learned that word the other day when I was at the bank talking to a lady about this whole situation btw. "Microenterprise" is apparently what PPL Gold (and other credit unions maybe?) call businesses that make very small amounts of money and are run by just one person.

It is a good word.
    it is. The woman I talked to gave her husband's book-trading business as another example

we should probably move this conversation to my thread incidentally
    Ja.
  • Could you make Apartment pay-what-you-want instead of free? Because I want to buy it rather than just download it.

I think this could be done to all your free stuff, actually.
    Jane said:

I should tell you, I upload them in .wav format, but I convert those wavs from mp3s, so I don't think the quality is actually any better.

I don't bother because FLAC files take up a ton of space and I don't notice a difference.

Anyway I hope you like Scirocco.
    I'm with you on the "don't notice a difference", and I actually get everything on OGG (the smallest format) just to save space these days.
    OGG actually has remarkably good sound for such a compact format, but I don't use it much because I would have to use VLC to play it and I'm not sure if it's even compatible with my iPod, and I'm pretty sure iTunes just won't play it, period.

AC3 is interesting for similar reasons, and is used in similar audio-video contexts. I sometimes see DVD sound rips in that and DTS (the main Surround Sound format) on torrent sites.