Internet whipping boys

2»

Comments

• i hope he gives me ten million dollars for no reason, I think

i'd be down with this

Also I hope that somehow the economics of pharmaceutical R&D and marketing are somehow magically made less incredibly broken, because that doesn't seem to be a thing politicians are doing, and in any case it's hard and maybe impossible.

these would also be pretty good but I don't think Shrekli is in a position to make that last thing happen unfortunately.
  • edited 2016-02-16 02:14:30
    kill living beings
    Shkreli is not. Shkreli is inspiring a lot of hatred, which is basically deserved, but his shitty business model doesn't even remotely resemble most drug companies', so people are proposing these weird non-fixes because they are mad at this one douchebag.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

i hope he gives me ten million dollars for no reason, I think

it'd be annoying if he gave 'em to you in bitcoin though
  • I would just like to point out that so far in this thread, before this post, I have not mentioned Martin Shkreli.

I think that is the best course of action.  He wants attention.  Don't give him attention.  That's the best way to insult him.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Okay, legit, I know I've used that tactic before, but like.

I honestly don't think that would work here.
  • kill living beings
    shkreli's agents are on the forum right now finding Care to feed his broken body
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Calica said:

i hope he gives me ten million dollars for no reason, I think

it'd be annoying if he gave 'em to you in bitcoin though
    Not really. You could buy a whole lot of pot wholesale that way and sell it at a massive mark-up to rich college kids.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Shkreli is not. Shkreli is inspiring a lot of hatred, which is basically deserved, but his shitty business model doesn't even remotely resemble most drug companies', so people are proposing these weird non-fixes because they are mad at this one douchebag.

I think a big part of that stems from people not knowing that Shkreli's bullshit business model is an outlier. The general public is largely unaware that most of the pharmaceutical industry is fucked up in other ways. :\
  • edited 2016-02-16 02:25:55
    kill living beings
    well, yes. i knew that. i was kind of hoping that the congressional committee would be better, but nope, and that's the annoying part.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

This is basically what happened with Madoff, no?
  • kill living beings
    Wasn't he just doing a Ponzi scheme? I don't know what general reforms there are to make there other than the SEC being meaner.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    oh, fair

I guess I got confused with the general economic crash, which made people suggest a bunch of solutions, both valid and invalid.
  • kill living beings
    the only real solution is full communism
  • the only solution is this mixture of dissolved solids in liquids
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-16 02:37:10
    He got nailed for a previous Ponzi scheme as a hedge fund manager.  The thing he did with Daraprim was presumably to cover his ass after the shit he pulled at the pharmaceutical company he worked at before that (which he basically raided to pay off angry investors from before that).

So what he's getting charged for at least isn't flagrantly commonplace in the pharmaceutical industry.  But artificially high costs to pad pockets definitely are.
  • kill living beings
    I meant "Wasn't Madoff just doing a Ponzi scheme".
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Honestly I find it hard to look at any of this and not say "why are so many people ok with capitalism, again?"
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The idea that people get to buy and sell and make what they want and profit from it is pretty nice.

But then the question then becomes "who are people" and "who profits?"
    MachSpeed said:

The idea that people get to buy and sell and make what they want and profit from it is pretty nice.

This is where I disagree, I guess.

I'd rather resources be distributed by a central authority that guarantees equal access for everyone.
  • but then how can i stunt in my dope jawnz
  • what is even the point of living if you cant stunt
    I didn't say it was good, or functional, or desirable. I make no claims on any economic system that has those traits because I am not an economist.

I can only say that it's "nice," and that people like and believe in it.
  • kill living beings
    the main problem is it doesn't work

the second is a lack of stunting in jope jawnz
  • so when can I insert RiFF RAFF lyrics into this conversation
  • What's up to my partners, what's up to my haters
    I done fucked around and sang a hook like Anita Baker
    Neon Icon, 57 city tourin'
    I'm first class to Spain, you still buying Ralph Lauren (Polo!)
    Might rock huaraches in a photo, I flip four door Porsche big body
    My shirt say Versace, TV screen in my left pocket
    I'm from California, but I done moved to Texas
    My bad, I'm dyslexic in a four-door mango Lexus
    At the titty bar, I ain't afraid to tip em
  • kill living beings
    right after i give everyone their 32.8 kg of bauxite