Petition to Move Heapershangout.com to a Giant Decaying Turtle Corpse

2»

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I loved Great Glass Elevator when I was little. I wonder what this says about me.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I enjoyed it, too. I also really loved Edward Gorey.
  • lee4hmz said:

I loved Great Glass Elevator when I was little. I wonder what this says about me.

I think I liked it, though it was a long time ago.

I can't actually remember disliking any book (or movie) at that age, though. I did not have discerning tastes as a child.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i was pretty easily freaked out at that age

i liked the book, mostly.  the "minus" stuff confused me and the Knids were scary
    it wasn't nearly the scariest Roald Dahl children's book, that was George's Marvelous Medicine (though The Twits was also scary, for much the same reason)
  • I'll admit my tastes have a double standard, because Phantom Tollbooth is still one of my favorite children's books ever, but it got pretty fucked up too.  But it was more like "good things happen from surmounting the fucked up" and came out optimistic?  Whereas Wonka felt "fucked up comes from enforcing the morality" and came out creepy as hell.  I wasn't able to put my finger on it that well back then, but it really felt that way to me from the beginning.
  • edited 2016-01-31 05:43:11
    I think I just never thought very hard about books and such back then. I probably didn't even notice how fucked up these things were, never mind the exact context of it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I was a weird kid. The fuckedupedness of a lot of Dahl's work appealed to me.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Dahl was a fucked up guy and I was a fucked up kid.

Perfect fit, even now.
  • edited 2016-01-31 05:45:13
    I liked how Roald Dahl was a huge misanthrope who was contemptuous of absolutely everyone in his books
  • Also everything to do with snozzberries.  EVERYTHING.  Oh God, I'm glad 5-year-old me didn't know the story behind that.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've seen the Phantom Tollbooth movie but haven't read the book yet

the movie is fucking awesome by the way
  • edited 2016-01-31 05:48:38
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

AliceRaeselementaryschoolexperience.mobi
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The book is even better, although the film is fun.
  • edited 2016-01-31 05:50:02
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Bee said:

Also everything to do with snozzberries.  EVERYTHING.  Oh God, I'm glad 5-year-old me didn't know the story behind that.

he just re-used the same nonsense word in a different context, right?  Meaning he may not have had a rude joke in mind when he wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

unless the word already meant something before that
  • I thought my thread had reached its limits.

But no. It just keeps going
    It has no limits.

It does not.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I saw the theme change happen for a few minutes and was weirded out by it.

I just now clicked on this thread and know what happened.

Carry on, everybody.
    i loved the movie of The Phantom Tollbooth, it was great

haven't read the book
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Haven said:

I thought my thread had reached its limits.

It has no limits.

It does not.

• Tachyon said:

Bee said:

Also everything to do with snozzberries.  EVERYTHING.  Oh God, I'm glad 5-year-old me didn't know the story behind that.

he just re-used the same nonsense word in a different context, right?  Meaning he may not have had a rude joke in mind when he wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

unless the word already meant something before that
    Yeah when I heard that story my assumption was that the thing in the other book was meant as a (dirty) reference to Charlie.

I loved Phantom Tollbooth (the book) as a kid, though I barely remember any of it now. I never saw the movie, mostly because I didn't know it existed back when I was into the book.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-31 05:56:58
    Anonus said:

I've seen the Phantom Tollbooth movie but haven't read the book yet

the movie is fucking awesome by the way
    It's one of the few book-to-movie adaptations I've seen that does the source material justice.  But the book is still better.

Tachyon said:

Like, if it were another author I might give that benefit of the doubt.

But Dahl disturbed me enough even before I knew about My Uncle Oswald.  I don't think I have that much benefit in my doubt for him.  I can totally picture him writing a scene and snickering because the kids are secretly licking wall-dicks.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Snozzberries are the Tezuka's Star System of fantasy things. Snozzcumbers too.
  • Haven said:

I thought my thread had reached its limits.

It has no limits.

It does not.

• My dreams exceed my real life
  • My friends, it's 2016. It's time for a change. It's time for a renewal. It's time to rebrand ourselves as a bunch of mad-eyed hunters living on the floating corpse of a truly massive turtle, sailing on a giant boat pulled by sea worms and surviving entirely off of what we can kill.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But Yarrun," you ask, "why a turtle? won't this drive property values down? and what the hell is that smell?" Well, generic Heaper, is it not true that the turtle is the foundation of the universe, beneath the Elephants and the Disc? And who needs neighbors when you're constantly surrounded by the decaying corpses of leviathans that you yourself have killed? And that smell? That's the smell of progress. The smell of a new age. The smell that only a turtle corpse weathered by salt wind and populated with filthy, violent squatters can have. 

Join me. Join me on this journey to a new age. Join me on this boat made entirely of bones and pulled by two enormous, stinking worms. Let's trade bluish-green for the emptiness of gant.
    Anyway, now that I've actually played the game, I have a counterproposal to your suggestion: 

PROGRESS WITHOUT CHANGE IS POSSIBLE IN T H E N E W S E Q U E N C E