Anonus doesn't watch enough anime

Comments

• edited 2016-01-23 04:15:22
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Kill La Kill is sort of the culmination of very specific set of traditions in addition to being a broad parody of them, so whether or not it's a good way to introduce oneself to the common plot devices of anime is an open question for me.

In that case, Evangelion would probably be better, although AU strikes me as the type to not like End of Evangelion very much.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've wanted to watch Evangelion for years but have long been worried I would not be able to handle it
  • edited 2016-01-23 04:18:21

what's there not to handle about Evangelion

he dies

everyone dies and/or the budget runs out

in one version he masturbates on someone (?)

i mean, i havent seen it, but it definitely doesnt seem that out there
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The funny thing is, I've never watched Neon Genesis Evangelion or Inuyasha, but knowing people who liked them has had this strange kind of impact on me where I recognise the clichés and ideas inherited from them while not necessarily recognising direct references.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I just think everything about Evangelion is kind of boring.

he dies

all the angst and psychological trauma
  • i always thought the title character from inuyasha was cute but i never saw it, and i dont know what its about
  • MachSpeed said:

i like the flying geometric thing?

he dies

It gets darker than that but... Madoka is about as bad? But it doesn't end on the same massive downer note as End of Evangelion. But then, the show ending is oddly upbeat, and Rebellion is hella bleak, so.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The flying geometric thing is neat, admittedly.
    I've watched Madoka's series but not Rebellion
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

he dies

It gets darker than that but... Madoka is about as bad? But it doesn't end on the same massive downer note as End of Evangelion. But then, the show ending is oddly upbeat, and Rebellion is hella bleak, so.
    FWIW, it's basically the same w/r/t Eva vs. End of Eva.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Never saw Evangelion but honestly it just seems like a downer.

Inuyasha made no sense to me, but watching it in Japanese without subtitles probably didn't help

he dies

FWIW, it's basically the same w/r/t Eva vs. End of Eva.
    My point exactly.
    Anonus said:

I've watched Madoka's series but not Rebellion

It's really good, but in no way necessary to one's enjoyment of the series. It's really just the story following a loose thread from the very end of the show and pulling it, hard.
    Inuyasha is about a high school girl and a pretty goblin-dog going on magical adventures and being tsundere with each other for fifteen years.
    Yup.

The fandom for Urusei Yatsura—another Takahashi anime, by the by—probably invented the term "tsundere," and it does describe a number of her characters...
  • MachSpeed said:

being tsundere with each other

this actually sounds entertaining
    The female lead is apparently really useless and irritating, though.
  • kill living beings
    me, i think anonus should watch a good anime, like
  • it occurs to me that i have this thing where people will tell me that a show is bad, and i watch it anyways, and i find some good stuff in there and enjoy it in the moment, but once i stop and reflect i realize that they were right

though, this is not all bad, as it got me to watch Blue Submarine No. 6
  • me, i think anonus should watch a good anime, like

Boku

No

Pico
  • MachSpeed said:

There's just so many different traditions and bodies of cliches to talk about.

This is so true.
  • kill living beings
    Chargeman Ken

also evangelion doesn't have psychological trauma it has cooking contests

ooohhhhh darn

I know people who love the show, so I dunno if that's a universal opinion, but the main complaint of the people who hate it is that it would be a better story were she not a part of it.
  • MachSpeed said:

It's a story about the impending end of the world, and the desperation of those who are trying to prevent (or in some cases, usurp) it.  Alongside this frame is a story about a boy who is being forced to grow up but resists this forcing.

A series of "angels" attack the main characters; they are basically representative of the progress toward the end of the world as we know it, and the increasing difficulty of fending them off essentially symbolizes the increasing pressure on the main character to step into a role that he neither like nor is comfortable with taking.

One ending is arguably positive; the other ending is arguably depressing.

MachSpeed said:

i like the flying geometric thing?
    The angel designs are probably the neatest thing in Evangelion.
  • edited 2016-01-23 05:41:31
    kill living beings
    monster design is the best part of any show #fact

I know all that, how could I not? And I still find most of its elements boring.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    accurate depiction of the Sega Saturn
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Kill la Kill is fun but strikes me as a poor choice of starter anime

it's a post-Gurren Lagann anime, which is itself a post-Evangelion anime

If you want anime cliches then Teekyu is totally the way to go. It packs 'em all into little two-minute bite-sized chunks.

this is a good point though
    anyway i'd suggest, if you want to get a feel for the cliches, going for some of the more popular series, like Evangelion and Death Note

i haven't seen Dragon Ball Z Kai but maybe that?
  • kill living beings
    This is why one's first televisory show should be something classic like Chargeman Ken. An ideal from without linear time, no influences or influenced. Let the signals rot. The more we kill the purer the transmission be. NTSC.
  • ideal starter anime:

* Alien Nine

* Princess Mononoke
  • that's what I started with so this is obviously the correct place to start for everyone
  • my first rap album was None Shall Pass there is no right or wrong way to get into a medium
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

Teekyu

so i was going through the thread and i'd never heard of this so i google image'd it and OH MY GOD IT'S SO UGUU. those colors. those designs. everything about pink haired girl's existence. it looks like what a non-anime watcher thinks all anime look like. (also ohey that's where jane got demon stance from)

anyway if you want anime that's a safe place to start i know a lot of people that got into it through ghibli movies
    if you want something more anime-y and slice of life, nichijou is appropriately ridiculous 
    probably also azumanga daioh but i've never seen it myself
  • edited 2016-01-23 19:58:42

that's what I started with so this is obviously the correct place to start for everyone

Voltron
    Pokémon
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Kiddy Grade
    Noir
    Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
    Stratos 4
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Eureka Seven
    The iDOLM@STER
    Arpeggio of Blue Steel
    The Tower of Druaga
  • kill living beings
    no, Jane's right, aesop rock is a good place to start with anime
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    How did no one mention Twin Peaks
  • I was gonna but then
  • How did no one mention Twin Peaks

fuck

we have failed
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    my first anime (aside from the stuff I saw on Toonami & Such) was a random shitty harem series I found while searching "anime" on youtube"

this is not how I recommend starting, tbh
    well naney watched Cat Planet Cuties solely because cats so
  • Anonus said:

well naney watched Cat Planet Cuties solely because cats so

and apparently it was half-decent or something
  • that said, if you WANT a laundry list of tropes, then fanservice IS one of them.
    iirc my earliest anime were Pokémon, Digimon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Naruto and Bleach, in that order

Fullmetal Alchemist was shortly after that (may have been one or two things in between, i forget).  That was the first one that really impressed me, although it was still very much in line with the kinds of shows i'd been watching up to that point.
  • I've been meaning to check out Digimon, but have not had the occasion.
    i liked it as a young particle but i dunno whether i'd still like it now