Anonus doesn't watch enough anime

As a result, "1984 but Big Brother is referred to as Onii-chan" isn't as funny to him as it ought to be.

Also, other issues, like how inbred his sensibility is.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    There is no required intake of anime, therefore Anonus already watches enough of it, no more, no less.

...but 1984 with Onii-chan would be kind of funny.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

There is no required intake of anime, therefore Anonus already watches enough of it, no more, no less.

There is a required intake of anime.

I've watched Madoka and Kaiba and parts of TTGL and PSG. All of these shows have their own unique traits but they don't fill up my Anime Meter enough.
    I need anime that is more "anime".
    Also I never finished PSG because I loved it so much I didn't want it to end and still don't
    somebody else can take over now
    huh?
  • kill living beings
    Imipolex is referring to us trying to talk you out of this weird neuroticism
    oh
  • I mean, if you want to watch more anime, I do an anime stream every Sunday at 8 pm EST, if you'd like to join us.
    oh those, i keep forgetting, sorry
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am going to entirely ignore the neuroticism and just suggest FLCL.
  • There is no required intake of anime

Anonus said:

itt: morning talk show hosts talking about rick wilson?
    hm?
  • :blends the last four seasons of anime into a smoothie and gives it to anonus:
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Jane said:

do watch Fooly Cooly actually

also, watch Osomatsu-san like I keep telling you to
    i keep meaning to
    both
  • Anonus said:

I've watched Madoka and Kaiba and parts of TTGL and PSG. All of these shows have their own unique traits but they don't fill up my Anime Meter enough.
    What does this "requirement" you speak of serve?

If all it serves is knowing what people are talking about as far as anime chat goes, then it is never enough anyway, since there are always new seasons of anime and people will also more likely talk about recent shows than long-time-ago shows.  It's pointless and a waste of time to try to keep up with this just for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses Jounsesu.

Now if you're actually interested in anime from a scholarly/research perspective, I can understand your point, and in that case, it shouldn't be too hard to find a list of seminal or highly influential works.  I have a few saved up if you want them.
    Anonus said:

I need anime that is more "anime".

Ironically, I sometimes decry this.  And you should know me well enough to know that I _do_ watch anime.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    If you want something a bit outside your comfort zone, I can make many recommendations.
  • now and then, here and there
    Oh, that's definitely outside his comfort zone.
    Teekyu
    Don't watch Teekyu?
    absurd.
    Jane said:

don't watch N&TH&T

To be fair, it is well-written, and he'll like the character designs better than those in Teekyu.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't know if you know this, AU, but anime is a medium created for a wide variety of ages and groups. What group do you want to be in?

Because every group should watch Saint Seiya.
    Isn't Saint Seiya slash fiction one of the originators of yaoi as "a thing" in anime culture?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Probably, I wouldn't know, but given that 95% of the characters are really pretty men, it wouldn't surprise me.
    I'm just in it for the abstract special attacks and the snap-on shiny armor and this:
  • Jane said:

don't watch N&TH&T

To be fair, it is well-written, and he'll like the character designs better than those in Teekyu.
    Teekyu is the anime equivalent of PowerThirst.
    And Now and Then, Here and There is... easily the least cheerful entry in the girl-with-magic-pendant subgenre, but saying anything more would spoil it and that sort of show is best entered blind.
    When I said "anime" anime I meant clichéd tripe because I must know the clichés, but sure, I will watch non-tripe

What is N&TH&T about?
    Anonus said:

When I said "anime" anime I meant clichéd tripe because I must know the clichés, but sure, I will watch non-tripe

What is N&TH&T about?
    A boy who sucks at kendo climbs a smokestack to talk to a strange girl on another smokestack in an abandoned factory. He tries to strike up a conversation with her.

Then something really weird happens.
    It's about child soldiers.

The cliches I'm familiar with are like, unfashionable these days. I watch mostly Super Robot shows.

So I guess if you really want something cliche and contemporary, Sword Art Online is the one to go to.
    If you want anime cliches then Teekyu is totally the way to go. It packs 'em all into little two-minute bite-sized chunks.
    MachSpeed said:

It's about child soldiers.

The cliches I'm familiar with are like, unfashionable these days. I watch mostly Super Robot shows.

So I guess if you really want something cliche and contemporary, Sword Art Online is the one to go to.
    Isn't SAO really bad though?

Hell even its name sounds like a clip art site
    That's part of it.

Mind you, everything Mach and I have mentioned is in the first... episode or two? There is way more to it.

Again, it's best gone into blind.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    SAO is not very good, riddled with cliches, and is contemporary. So yes.
    It seems like anime these days are mostly visual novel adaptations. Not very good visual novels.

Might be why I have no interest.
    If you want to acquaint yourself with anime clichés. SAO is a good place to look, but if you want to know what spawned them, try a Rumiko Takahashi show. She's kind of the mother of most modern anime tropes, good and bad.
  • Anonus said:

What is N&TH&T about?
    Ironically, a lot of cliches are actually established by non-cliche shows.  They just popularized them, and then imitators followed.
    You know what, just watch Kill La Kill.

It's full of clichés, but manages to use them cleverly.
    There's just so many different traditions and bodies of cliches to talk about.
    Kill La Kill is sort of the culmination of very specific set of traditions in addition to being a broad parody of them, so whether or not it's a good way to introduce oneself to the common plot devices of anime is an open question for me.
    MachSpeed said:

There's just so many different traditions and bodies of cliches to talk about.

Yes.

Major streams and sets of clichés are easily identifiable, but they contribute to each other in odd ways.