I will never understand why New Agers use crystals all the time

2»

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Ohhhhh

was it a reference?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, to a throwaway joke in a Strong Bad Email.
  • I was going to ask if anybody else realized that.

It's the sbemail where we discover that Free Country, USA had a Scooby-Doo phase
    OHHHHHHH
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    David Cage is so stupid.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    where's that goddamn fucking chaos emerald
  • edited 2016-01-15 04:58:13
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    "In the beginning, before myth and legend,
    before Light and Dark, there was but the sea.
    "In the beginning, before before man and hist'ry,
    Light and Dark were divided, the sea sundered in fourteen
    "To the seas She cast Her children, for fear of the Moon.
    "For hate of the Star, to the seas He cast His doom."

May we ever walk in the light of the crystal.
  • The violet laser light is an accelerated and focused frequency of the violet transmuting fire. As violet is the seventh and highest frequency within the spectrum of visible light, when projected into any situation or problem it manifests as an energy field of transmutation whereby divine alchemy or cosmic change may manifest. The violet laser light allows the dissolving of age-old records of karma because of the inherent qualities of divine power (blue) and of divine love (pink) which, when merged, create a pulsating violet energy that consumes on contact the darkness within all that it touches.
  • Acererak said:

The violet laser light is an accelerated and focused frequency of the violet transmuting fire. As violet is the seventh and highest frequency within the spectrum of visible light, when projected into any situation or problem it manifests as an energy field of transmutation whereby divine alchemy or cosmic change may manifest. The violet laser light allows the dissolving of age-old records of karma because of the inherent qualities of divine power (blue) and of divine love (pink) which, when merged, create a pulsating violet energy that consumes on contact the darkness within all that it touches.

fuck yeah
  • so...if mace windu stabs me all my problems are solved...
  • basically TIL magic crystals are the best religion
  • That is pretty metal yeah
  • Acererak said:

The violet laser light is an accelerated and focused frequency of the violet transmuting fire. As violet is the seventh and highest frequency within the spectrum of visible light, when projected into any situation or problem it manifests as an energy field of transmutation whereby divine alchemy or cosmic change may manifest. The violet laser light allows the dissolving of age-old records of karma because of the inherent qualities of divine power (blue) and of divine love (pink) which, when merged, create a pulsating violet energy that consumes on contact the darkness within all that it touches.

This seriously sounds like someone just shat out some terrible fanfiction about Princess Cadence.
  • still better than cs lewis
  • still better than cs lewis

argument = invalid
  • Look, Narnia's last season villain was basically a Lord of Change. That's way cooler than purple rays (cool as that might be).
  • actually the villain in the last Narnia book is syncretism.
  • Wow, that fits this thread!
  • no seriously even as a child the final Narnia book kind of confused me and it only does more with time

what was the intended moral?

"don't practice Christianity and Islam at the same time"?
  • I don't think there was a moral to it. It's less overtly moralistic than The Silver Chair or The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
  • kill living beings
    i thought the moral was basically the end is nigh motherfuckers shape your asses up
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The moral is: In the end days, there will be people who deceive you from the true path.

But the path is not in the names or the words, but in your actions, so even if you claim to worship Satan but still be kind, be charitable, stand for the weak, you earn your place in Heaven.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Yes

or at least, i interpreted it the same way Mach did when i was a kid

i find the notion that it isn't intended to have a moral incredibly unlikely, i thought it was one of the more blatant ones
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    What's funny is that the race who are a blatant allegory for Arab Muslims are logically actually descended (like all other humans "native" to Narnia) from an English couple.
  • The Carlomen strike me as more Turkish actually.

It's pretty racist either way, though.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I like the universalist aspect but, yes, the racism is troubling. That said, as was previously noted, technically literally everyone in Narnia who isn't a magical creature or the White Witch (whose origin story is incredibly metal) is actually English.
    There was one sympathetic Calormen person in the final book, and Aslan basically tells him that by doing good in the Calormen god's name, he was doing good in Aslan's name.

That doesn't excuse the fact that the treatment of them is, by and large, racist.
  • I remember when I was like, 12, I was playing the one Lord of the Rings RTS (Battle For Middle Earth 2) and I said to my stepdad that it seemed like the one Arabic-esque people in the game (I don't actually recall the name of said people) and the Russian-esque people (same) seemed like they were supposed to be, well, Arabic and Russian respectively, and he got rather angry with me.
    See also in LOTR, there's a scene where Sam stumbles across a dead Arabic stand-in soldier, and he thinks about how young the dude is, and how far away from home he is fighting in a proxy war and feels sad about that.

Also in the scene with the Orc war camp, they basically act like any other group of soldiers and they seem to believe humans are cannibals.

CS Lewis and Tolkien are kind of similar where I feel like they aren't bad at heart, but they are conservative British people from the last century who use racist tropes that they've inherited and only vaguely question.
    The Haradrim are definitely supposed to be North African-ish in the books.
  • In The Horse and His Boy most of the Calormenes are actually ok people. The lesser nobility, at least.

Worshipping literal Satan is pretty racist though.

See also in LOTR, there's a scene where Sam stumbles across a dead Arabic stand-in soldier, and he thinks about how young the dude is, and how far away from home he is fighting in a proxy war and feels sad about that.

Also in the scene with the Orc war camp, they basically act like any other group of soldiers and they seem to believe humans are cannibals.

CS Lewis and Tolkien are kind of similar where I feel like they aren't bad at heart, but they are conservative British people from the last century who use racist tropes that they've inherited and only vaguely question.
    The extended cut of the film actually has this scene. It's Faramir that does the monologue, but either way, it's pretty sad.
    Oh huh
    Maybe I should watch the extended cut some time.
    Yeah, you really should. It even has Saruman getting shanked.
  • Tolkien is in what we might consider a strange place when it comes to ethnicity, identity, and Middle Earth as a setting. One of his objectives in writing the LotR, and the other stories concerning the setting, was to create a predominantly "English mythology", which he thought was lacking. In the sense that he very much identified as an Anglo-Saxon, but much of the English mythology he knew wasn't of that origin -- it was either an appropriation of other mythologies (such as borrowing Arthur from the Welsh), or a post-Saxon contribution (which was inevitable after the Norman conquest and the Great Clusterfuck of 1066 in general). 

So he's in this position where he's kind of sorta trying to respect everyone, but very much playing for a team at the same time? He felt there was an absence of actual "English" mythology, and his view on "Englishness", I suppose, was in resemblance to the Anglo-Saxons. Ergo this emphasis on being "of the West" in LotR, which is less about geopolitics and more relative to the identity of the Anglo-Celtic populace as literally the westernmost placed population of the northern hemisphere. That's not to say that the unsavoury implications don't exist or aren't worthy of note, but he at least seems to be aware that he's treading a minefield and that there's something askew about the English wholesale appropriating and claiming ownership of a Welsh legend.  

The extended editions are pretty good, too. 
    Yeah, that is the impression I got. There are racist implications in his work but they're more of his time and place than coming from a place of hatred or assumed superiority. If nothing else, he really seems to just love how stories are told and what they mean within a culture or between them, and I respect that about him.

He also works little bits of very old English words and concepts into his work, like Saxon greetings and even curses: "Lathspell, I name you!" (Also the title of a truly awesome song by The Body, who do love their esoteric references.)
  • 3. Demand for Purity — The Camelot Kitchen recipes; the 5 Escene diet; macrobiotic diet; fasting; use of protein powder instead of the real thing; required upper colonics; no red, black or orange clothing; only can drive a blue car in Mrs. Prophet’s presence; no fluoride; no sugar; no soft drinks; no chocolate; no coffee; all women’s clothes must hang down and be loose fitting; bingeing and purging using spirit of Ipecac; carrots as the only food that would grow at 10,000 feet—carrot factories, carrot drying plant, carrots being declared "the food of the masters"—carrot juice, carrot cake, carrot pies, carrot bread, carrot stew, carrot soup, and on and on.
  • mother

fucking

carrots
  • So I learned about this "Violet Flame" crap from my grandmother's friend Melinda. I'm gonna tell you a story about said friend.

Melinda had a friend - Soriano, I think her name was - who was seriously sick. She had terminal cancer and all the doctors she had been to told her the same thing: she only had a year to live, at most. Desperate, she went to Melinda's house, asking for her aid. 

What Melinda did was give her some herbal brew, claiming that it would cure her. The next day, she died.
  • well that's what happens when you are terminally ill
  • Yes, but she died sooner thanks to the miracle cure.