I will never understand why New Agers use crystals all the time

Can't you use something else to symbolize mystical power? Like orbs, jars or ornate East Asian swords?

Comments

• also stop using atlantis because it's fictional by plato's own admission, do your own world-building for a change ffs
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • so "like 30 things"

anyway idk I've known many Wiccans and none of them ever spoke about Atlantis.

are Wiccans new agers?

I like new age music, does that mean that I am a new ager.
  • From what I've heard Wiccans aren't considered a New Age group. 

And nah.
  • I'm mostly referring to indigo children and stuff here
  • I honestly thought that this would be about crystal meth

I am disappoint
  • one of the first threads on any forum I ever participated in was an UnexplainedMysteries thread with a guy saying he was AN INDIGO SHCILD
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    New Agers use crystals because New Agers are gullible.

The only crystals used in Daoist practice are the ones we eat. Salt, sometimes, but also cinnabar for immortality pills.

Note: DO NOT EAT CINNABAR
  • Isaac Newton tried the same thing!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Gullible as fuck.
  • kill living beings
    dude have you seen crystals? they're sickkk
  • because they're CLODS.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Some people use pyramids, because pyramids are ~mysterious~
    (there's no such thing as mysterious)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    lee4hmz said:

I unno, quantum physics is pretty mysterious.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    new agers like quantum physics, too

well, of a sort
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    lee4hmz said:

That's wrong.
    There is also no such thing as tall, short, stinky, fresh, and cold.

I laugh at your adjectives new agers, I live in a magical world of nouns and verbs.
    Pretty fucked up that people believe in crystal healing, pyramid power, and memetics in the year of our lord 2016
    of course there's such thing as mysterious

i don't think anyone here was planning on defending memetics, though
    Just saiyan, some pseudosciences go more unchallenged than others.
  • kill living beings
    speaking of which and also crystals, sheldrake's books are actually interesting, for a bit. partly because crystallography is an important topic you don't learn outside of speciality
  • edited 2016-01-14 17:13:33
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ fair

i guess i'd say the difference is crystal healing and pyramid power make empirically testable claims about physics which are easily disproven

memetics is a bad model, but it's modelling something outside the parameters of hard science, if you're not interested in psychology or semiotics the problems with that model might not be apparent
    i learned about Sheldrake from 999
    crystal healing, pyramid power, memetics

young tach believed in 2 out of 3
  • memes are the memes of the soul
    I might be being a killjoy again
    Vriska said:

because they're CLODS.

anyway this was the winning post, for anyone keeping score
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

i learned about Sheldrake from 999

For me it was thinking pseudoscience was nifty, at however many years young, and then again from 999. Never did get to reading any of Sheldrake's books though.
    for some reason crystal powers never attracted kid tach, that i can remember

might just have been the context i first encountered them in, i tended to be very credible of anything i read, so if my first encounter with the mystical properties of crystals was in a sceptical source, that would have coloured my perception of them
    Anyway Indigo Children were mentioned, time to post this

• dude have you seen crystals? they're sickkk

yeah but new agers using them makes them look like jrpg villains
  • idea: a new age cult that attempts to emulate WRPG villains
  • lee4hmz said:

Some people use pyramids, because pyramids are ~mysterious~

don't forget that aliens/atlanteans built the original pyramids

because duh brown people are too stupid to build shit like that
  • all mysticism is highly redolent of jrpg villains tho tbh

• edited 2016-01-14 18:24:07
    Yeah. I think they have a common link in 60s-70s SFF novels.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

I might be being a killjoy again

Nah, I was bugged by Lee's comment too.
  • kill living beings
    Acererak said:

dude have you seen crystals? they're sickkk

yeah but new agers using them makes them look like jrpg villains
    jrpg villains are, in general, sickkk
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-14 18:54:59
    Man, I forgot how much of a ludicrous disconnect Indigo Prophecy had between your performance in the fucking unending QTEs and what actually happens.

"GREAT!"

*Lucas gets the shit beaten out of him*

"GREAT!"

*Lucas gets dragged helplessly along the building*

"GREAT!"

*Lucas gets thrown into unpleasant metal shit*

Even then, a four-minute quicktime is absurd.  I'd ask what the hell they were thinking, but that seems a relevant question for the whole game.
    Well the game started out as a cat and mouse adventure game where you play both the cat and the mouse, and try to balance things out.

And then someone decided it would be a good idea to have zombie boner internet lice AI alien aztecs show up
  • to be fair to whoever that person is, that sounds like a great idea for any given story

to be fair to whoever that person is, that sounds like a great idea for any given story

It was. People were wowed by the beginning stages and then felt betrayed as the game got increasingly dumb.

The developers like to say that they didn't have enough time to properly tell the story they wanted to tell, but I feel like this is bullshit because

1: The game is overlong and has too much padding as it is

2. There is no possible way to connect the "A" point of "A guy stabs another guy in a men's restroom for seemingly no reason" to the "B" point of "because the mayan aliens are using him to fight the war against the zombie internet" that isn't silly
  • It probably would've been amazing if they weren't so far up their own ass about it.

And came up with a play mechanic more interesting than four minutes of Simon Says.
    There is a good version of Indigo Prophecy, it's called D4
    Bee said:

It probably would've been amazing if they weren't so far up their own ass about it.

And came up with a play mechanic more interesting than four minutes of Simon Says.
    Let's be honest here:

The gaming community considers everything that wasn't already present in Doom "up its own ass"
  • it seems to me that video games can have more that can go wrong than any other medium, because of the whole user interaction component

and then you have the cultural issue where

Bee said:

It probably would've been amazing if they weren't so far up their own ass about it.

Let's be honest here:

The gaming community considers everything that wasn't already present in Doom "up its own ass"

lee4hmz said:

This was a joke that went over everyone's heads. Sorry about that. :(
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-14 20:25:29

Bee said:

Let's be honest here:

To be fair, I totally respect the guy's aim of making an interactive film and willingness to break from standard game mechanics.  Shaking things up is a good thing.

He just replaced them with mechanics so inadequate and pointless that the game probably would've been better off as plain cutscenes, and the film you were supposed to interact with would have been up its own ass whether or not it was interactive.  It takes itself so completely, earnestly seriously.

And for what it's worth, that was fine for the first half of the game when it was creepy paranormal.  But when it got bugfuck insane paranormal and is still stubbornly convinced it's srs bsns it just falls apart.  Once you add fight scenes with internet zombie goasts set to DDR gameplay you kind of lose your ability to be taken seriously.