Beauty and the Beast takes place in France

So why does only one character have a French accent? They should all have French accents, or none of them should.

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i can't remember where i heard this theory, but i remember liking it: Lumière is actually speaking French with an English accent
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Could be the south or south-west of France and Lumière has a northern or eastern accent, which is quite different.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Captain Picard is supposed to be French but no French accent for him, nosiree
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Captain Picard is supposed to be French but no French accent for him, nosiree

The perks of a classical education.

In the future.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Captain Picard gets a pass just for Sir Patrick Stewart being totally awesome, though
    He controls his accent in the same way Patrick Stewart does with his insane Yorkshire dialect, I assume. English is already sort of a universal pidgin in this world and era; keeping it clear and comprehensible regardless of where you're from seems sensible in Picard's position.
  • Interesting fact: In Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire, the actress who plays Fleur Delacour is French, but had to put on a fake French accent because her natural accent wasn't pronounced enough. 
    She was in the movie In Bruges as a Belgian.

In Bruges is a good movie BTW.
    Huh.

Reminds me of an odd fact about the Japanese dub of Trigun: Vash's voice actor naturally has a very thick Osaka accent, which he had to downplay significantly to make the character's voice more "neutral," while Wolfwood's character was written with a heavy Osaka/Kansai accent... but was played by a guy from a completely different part of Japan, essentially copping his co-star's accent.

Incidentally, while this accent was meant to parallel an American Southwest sort of accent—western Texas, say—the English has him speaking with a curious quasi-accent that sounds like no particular real world American accent, but perfectly mimics the colour and cadences of Kansai Japanese.
    (The English is actually significantly subtler in many places; I highly recommend it.)
  • Sometime, actors can pull of a very convincing accent despite their natural accent being completely different.

Other times.... Not so much.

I know that if I was asked to do an accent other than the weird merge of English accents that I have, I'd be fucked. 
  • I could probably pull of a slight Yorkshire accent, seeing as I am from Yorkshire, but it would take effort yo maintain it. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Toolsie said:

Sometime, actors can pull of a very convincing accent despite their natural accent being completely different.

A good example: Hugh Laurie as Dr. House. If you didn't already know he was English, you'd never know his American accent was phony.
    I once saw a movie where Liam Neeson played a Kentucky hillbilly, and it was pretty funny seeing his native Irish accent struggle for dominance against the Kentucky accent he was trying to do.
  • Renee Zellweger is American, and played Bridget Jones in Bridget Jones's Diary with a near flawless English accent. 
    Also Hugh Jackman has a pretty good American accent.

It's a lot rougher in his older films, but it's pretty good now.

Toolsie said:

Sometime, actors can pull of a very convincing accent despite their natural accent being completely different.

A good example: Hugh Laurie as Dr. House. If you didn't already know he was English, you'd never know his American accent was phony.
    Correction: Scottish. Not sure where from, though. I think somewhere in the west? But yeah, even most of his accents in English stuff are put on.
    See, I couldn't remember if he was Scottish or English so I looked at the Wikipedia article and the lead sentence described him as "English". That's what I get for trusting the Internet, I suppose. :P
  • He was born in Oxford

In England
    See, I knew his parents were very dour, intense Scottish Presbyterians, but I did not know that they had moved to Oxford. Interesting.
    Wait, not even moved. They just happened to be Scottish Presbyterians by descent and culture.

In Oxford.

Odd.
    you were WRONG
  • my ferret is never wrong

except when he deigns to be
  • Toolsie said:

Renee Zellweger is American, and played Bridget Jones in Bridget Jones's Diary with a near flawless English accent. 

literally the only example i can think of of an American doing a british accent well
  • Huh.

Reminds me of an odd fact about the Japanese dub of Trigun: Vash's voice actor naturally has a very thick Osaka accent, which he had to downplay significantly to make the character's voice more "neutral," while Wolfwood's character was written with a heavy Osaka/Kansai accent... but was played by a guy from a completely different part of Japan, essentially copping his co-star's accent.

Incidentally, while this accent was meant to parallel an American Southwest sort of accent—western Texas, say—the English has him speaking with a curious quasi-accent that sounds like no particular real world American accent, but perfectly mimics the colour and cadences of Kansai Japanese.
    I still think Osakan dialect dubbed as Houston drawl is the best thing about Azumanga Daioh's dub, on a tangentially related note.
  • Huh.

I did not know that about the Japanese dub. That's pretty cool. But yeah, the english dub is awesome and I love Jeff Nimoy as Wolfwood.
    Incidental note about Kansai in anime: The author of the novels upon which The Eccentric Family and The Tatami Galaxy are based is from Kyoto and sets most of his work there; thus, they are among the few anime I can think of where *everyone* has some form of Kansai accent.
    I remember someone remarking that they had a friend from Japan who had the Kansai regional accent and got very irritated every time it was translated into English as a southern accent.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Why does NOBODY in Assassin's Creed Unity have a French accent?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Do you think that in the French version they also still have English accents?
    While we're on that subject, can I reiterate how irritated I am that the Assassin/Templar theme of the the AC series effectively lets them avoid ever saying anything about any historical event they portray?
  • I know nothing about AC beyond:

1. the gameplay is you stand in tall places then parkour and assassinate people

2. its about a dude reliving his past lives in a machine or something?

3. the series is interminable

4. apparently they control very well, this is one of the primary appeals of the series

5. at least one of them was horribly buggy

6. sometimes the guy is a pirate. you would think that being on a boat would not be condusive to parkour?

I know nothing about AC beyond:

1. the gameplay is you stand in tall places then parkour and assassinate people

2. its about a dude reliving his past lives in a machine or something?

3. the series is interminable

4. apparently they control very well, this is one of the primary appeals of the series

5. at least one of them was horribly buggy

6. sometimes the guy is a pirate. you would think that being on a boat would not be condusive to parkour?
    You get to repeatedly kick Pope Alexander VI in the balls as the final boss of the second game.
    Also Karl Marx was a sympathetic NPC in the most recent one, and all the twitter reactionaries threw fits.
  • oh that is delicious

but anyways could you explain to me what the games are about, and how they can avoid talking about the historical events they portray?
  • kill living beings
    There's an all-consuming conspiracy behind all of history in the AC games, so they can just talk about that magic stuff instead of the actual historical event and its actual motivations. Probably.
  • oh that makes sense i guess
  • kill living beings
    I looked through the AC wiki at some point and there are super-secret letters to unlock about how the Templars kill Turing to avoid him pioneering workplace automation. That (a) makes no sense since he didn't work on that, and (b) ignores all the... you know... gay security clearance... suicide... stuff.

I haven't played it though, maybe I'm being too negative.

oh that is delicious

but anyways could you explain to me what the games are about, and how they can avoid talking about the historical events they portray?
    All of history is just an extended war between two secret societies, the Assassins and the Templars who have no actual ideology beyond vague adherence to freedom vs authoritarianism, and any historical figure can be reinterpreted as either a pawn of the Templars or a Templar themselves, thus avoiding any need to deal with yucky actual motivations like religion or politics.

There also tend to be Templars on both sides of any given conflict playing some long game to get magic mcguffins, as in the first game where both the Saracens and the Crusaders had Templars.
  • well that's kinda lame
    Yes.
  • kill living beings
    I know Baldanders hates RAW and all, but I'm pretty sure AC would be way more interesting if they followed Illuminatus! more closely.
  • i

dont understand that post
    no one does
  • kill living beings
    Illuminatus! is a book series cowritten by a guy named Robert Anton Wilson, who Baldanders doesn't like for more or less reasonable reasons, like espousing epistemological theories loved by weirdos. It's still good though.

AC is, as far as I can tell, sort of based on it, since it's also based on an age-old conflict between "lawful" sorts of templars and "anarchic" sorts of other people. But Illuminatus is better, because the ancient Atlantean aliens were actually apes.
    Illuminatus is a darn fun ride
  • Illuminatus! is a book series cowritten by a guy named Robert Anton Wilson, who Baldanders doesn't like for more or less reasonable reasons, like espousing epistemological theories loved by weirdos. It's still good though.

i know these things but i still dont understand