Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• And it's wearing whiteface.
  • It's not so much about his shock with [technology]... It's more about the societal differences. He's gone from the '40s to today; he comes from a world where people were a little more trusting, the threats not as deep. Now, it's harder to tell who's right and wrong. Actions you take to protect people from threats could compromise liberties and privacy. That's tough for Steve to swallow.
    (*vomits forever*)

brb gouging my eyes out so i never accidentally see any of this

also kexruct please do not respond to this post i do not want to have this discussion and if i do i will cry please do not make me cry thank
    The only reason I'd want to respond to this is because of what you said at the end there.

Honestly I'm a bit offended.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING PROBLEMATIC WITH THE WAY THIS MAN IS DRESSED, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?
    Now my favourite conversation in this thread. Period.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    da fuq is that thing behind him
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    A literal troll.
  • Miko said:

da fuq is that thing behind him

Satan.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, it looks like a giant troll doll.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING PROBLEMATIC WITH THE WAY THIS MAN IS DRESSED, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?
    why is there a Troll doll behind him

Jeffrey Katzenberg should fire that doll, having a Nazi Troll doll around is bad
    Peter Sotos isn't a Nazi. He's Peter Sotos. That's bad enough for some people.
  • that is boyd rice silly billy
    Oh, yes it is!

Although the point is mostly the same.
  • kill living beings
    Boyd Rice isn't a Nazi. He's Peter Sotos. That's bad enough for some people
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I wish Peter Sotos's publisher would figure out whether he publishes dumb shit because he agrees with it, because he's a fame whore, or because he believes strongly in free speech. Or all three. He seems to flip flop.
    I've heard that Ann Sterzinger's Nusquam is really good if you enjoy the kind of wit that eats holes in concrete - and I do - but Nine-Banded Books really do love their dubious bullshit.
  • what pumpkin:no selling fanart at cons!!!!
    what pumpkin:no selling buttons plushies hats or any other creative thing
    what pumpkin:even if its just colored zodiac signs because we totally own those!
    what pumpkin:no selling tshirt designs!!!!
    what pumpkin:no selling off old cosplays!!!!
    what pumpkin:take down that plushie tutorial, people are using it to sell!!!!
    what pumpkin:hey guys how'd you like your art to be sold by HOT TOPIC and for you to get ZERO PROFITS?

This all seems like pretty standard issue use of IP law, except for the last part, but that's DeviantArt's fault, not What Pumpkin.
    Wait, did something happen?
  • KlinotaxisKlinotaxis
    googles seems like it goes: hot topic is stealing or whatever; what pumpkin is working with hot top...
    kill living beings
    /me googles

seems like it goes: hot topic is stealing or whatever; what pumpkin is working with hot topic; therefore what pumpkin should stop telling me what to do mom
    Oh, they're worried because Hot Topic has apparently been pulling an eBaumsWorld and selling things they didn't have rights to.
  • I imagine it also has something to do with the recent t-shirt contest, which was pretty par for the course as far as t-shirt contests go but was derided because some people wanted a cut of the profits and not "just" a prize and exposure.
    That's kind of big-headed of them....most people don't get development deals on spec.
  • kill living beings
    well having people work for free is pretty bullshit. bit different if it's unoriginal, thugh
  • Well yeah, but this isn't asking someone to work for you. It's a contest. Also, the prize was like three thousand dollars I think? People's complaint was that the winner didn't receive a cut of the profits, which, like, come on.  
  • Creator contests often have poor reward and poor deals for the winner, so it's appropriate to warn about them, but still, in the end, it's your choice to enter or not.

The ripping off of other people's designs is shitty, though, if it rises to the point of copyright infringement.  What does tick me is when someone's accusing theft and the thing "stolen" wasn't all that original to the person shrieking about it; it was a generic concept, or they didn't actually create it themselves but just took a pre-existing thing and made something of it.
  • well, iirc it turned out that DeviantArt was selling art to Hot Topic and others without the permissions of the artists, which turned out to be totally legal due to the DA terms and conditions

this is a synopsis of a post on the topic that i have not fact checked because im a lazy ass
  • well, iirc it turned out that DeviantArt was selling art to Hot Topic and others without the permissions of the artists, which turned out to be totally legal due to the DA terms and conditions

this is a synopsis of a post on the topic that i have not fact checked because im a lazy ass

And I agree that that's an issue. But "only" giving a cash prize for a contest? That's not.
  • edited 2014-06-05 14:11:59
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Actually, if they agreed to the terms and conditions, then it was with the permission of the artists, even if the artists didn't know that.

READ BEFORE YOU CHECK "I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions", PEOPLE!

The written word has power. Agreements and paths have power. You agreed. You gave your word that you had accepted those terms. Don't make such vows lightly.
  • dude nobody is arguing with you on that and you keep harping on it for some reason
  • Aliroz said:

Actually, if they agreed to the terms and conditions, then it was with the permission of the artists, even if the artists didn't know that.

READ BEFORE YOU CHECK "I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions", PEOPLE!

The written word has power. Agreements and paths have power. You agreed. You gave your word that you had accepted those terms. Don't make such vows lightly.

http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/reading-the-privacy-policies-you-encounter-in-a-year-would-take-76-work-days/253851/#
  • dude nobody is arguing with you on that and you keep harping on it for some reason

I didn't think anyone was.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

dude nobody is arguing with you on that and you keep harping on it for some reason

??? To whom are you referring here?

I don't see anything that could be called harping on a subject.

I'm confused.
  • kex has brought up the whole cash prize thing 2-3 times now in a rather contentious sort of way which i guess must have been something unintentional or something im reading into it
  • so sorry i guess
  • edited 2014-06-05 14:24:40
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/reading-the-privacy-policies-you-encounter-in-a-year-would-take-76-work-days/253851/#

The internet is no place for privacy.

It's simply how the internet works now and is designed. Each site sends data to other sites of what you read, what you highlight, what you hover the mouse over but don't click, how much time you spend looking at what. You have to mess with a lot of stuff to have that not happen, more than an ad block. Something like the stuff a computer expert would know how to do. You can have privacy, it is just dang hard. My uncle is on the computer security team at my university, he monitors stuff like this for a living.

The problem is much deeper than too much reading to do.
  • banksy is the zen pencils guy
    this is my absolute new favorite tumblr post
  • kill living beings
    lol.
  • http://atane.tumblr.com/post/88164230914/this-is-where-we-are-the-cia-can-join-twitter-and

There's something fucking stupid about this but I can't put my finger on it.
    Kexruct said:

http://atane.tumblr.com/post/88164230914/this-is-where-we-are-the-cia-can-join-twitter-and

There's something fucking stupid about this but I can't put my finger on it.
    the cia making spy jokes on twitter feels kinda like watching your dad do standup. in this analogy your dad kills like a ton of people
  • edited 2014-06-08 13:12:18
    Honestly I think my issue is that the "jokes" on the CIA's twitter are less "Haha waterboarding!" and more "Why the fuck do we have a twitter" and also the really condescending tone of the post.
  • Also the tone reminds me a lot of the posts that one racist dude that Forsythe posted made.

You know, the ones where he complained about the president being on the Oscars.
  • ...or the obnoxious red-pillisms. "The government's evil, maaaan, never trust them." The argument that we shouldn't ignore bad things because of stupid stuff like Twitter is a valid one, but it's drowned in pretense.
  • kill living beings
    i feel more condescended to by the CIA, which joins social media to make jokes rather than to address any of the million issues with them
    Kexruct said:

...or the obnoxious red-pillisms. "The government's evil, maaaan, never trust them." The argument that we shouldn't ignore bad things because of stupid stuff like Twitter is a valid one, but it's drowned in pretense.

Red-Pill generally means far-right in today's discourse.

Which is weird because Lana Wachowski is a trans woman.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

i feel more condescended to by the CIA, which joins social media to make jokes rather than to address any of the million issues with them

This, pretty much.

• edited 2014-06-08 13:34:57
    I associate it more with people who think themselves enlightened because they're willing to take a negative stance on the government.