The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Now, dog.

Now YOU are the man.
  • That dog is a canine luupus, not bipedal homo(lol) sapian silly croc.

Silly Croc, nothing really waters lol jk /queen.

• School let out there hours early due to snow which might/might not show up! :D
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum.
  • Life is amusing.
    or in French
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Mako Morikanshoku.
  • what is that a religion survey(?) of?
  • Miko said:

I'm like 85% done with Castlevania: Circle of the Moon or something, and this game has kicked my butt at times, just like the classics used to, but it still has delicious exploration and player character growth like Symphony of the Night (which is so mind-numbingly easy that I looped the super-boss's AI and gained 10 levels). The soundtrack of CotM is also fantastic. And the graphics are pretty.

/miko's single-paragraph review of a GBA game from 13 years ago that one one probably cares about

hey, I cared.

I like Circle's exploration and size and music.

One of the coolest features about its music is that it's 75% remixed from other games, yet it's still totally awesome.

In fact, I think the only thing I don't like about Circle is its controls.
  • edited 2014-03-03 12:18:43
    One little oddity though is that it seems that everyone likes the first area theme -- "Awake" -- but I don't.  I find it to be probably the weakest track.  It's just kinda...there.

On the other hand, "Sinking Old Sanctuary" (the one that's played everywhere) and "Clockwork" are nice, and I really like pretty much everything else -- "Fate to Despair" (the chapel theme and one of the few original tracks), "Aquarius" (Underground Gallery, remixed from Cv3), "The Trick Manor" / "Clockwork Mansion" (Underground Warehouse, remixed from two associated tracks in SCv4), "Nightmare" (Underground Waterway, remixed from Cv3), and "Vampire Killer" (Observation Tower, remixed from...everywhere).

Also I like how it continues the tradition of having a late-game area use the Vampire Killer theme.  And how that area is, appropriately, irritatingly difficult.  It's like, "You wanna enjoy this awesome music?  Be like Simon and deal with the level."  But yeah, Cv3 used VK in a late-game area, and so did SCv4.  And HoDiss used it for Simon boss rush.  In fact I was a little disappointed when DoS used it for the Silenced Ruins but it wasn't particularly difficult or grand.  See, Circle's Observation Tower is grand and big and huge and at the very top of the castle and you're jumping around fighting these annoying Legion enemies backed by beautiful stained-glass windows and everything and it's nearly the endgame and you have a climactic boss fight at the very top of it.

If I ever make a Castlevania game, you'll get the Circle version of "Vampire Killer" used in a somewhat-difficult late-game area...but only "late-game" in the first castle.  Then you discover the second castle, and much more.  But then at the very end of the game, you get the Coliseum area, where you're basically given the Vampire Killer whip and then dropped into an enemy/boss rush, and THAT will get a more comprehensive remix of "Vampire Killer 2002" from HoDiss.

Just imagine.  You enter an area with no background music.  You find the legendary whip just lying on a pedestal, waiting to be obtained.  You take it.  You get a GLORIOUS remix of the Simon's Theme Fanfare (y'know, the one that plays when you find a child in Henry mode in CvLoD and which was left unused in Circle's game data), not unlike the Fully Powered Suit fanfare in Metroid Zero Mission.

Then the game drops you into the Coliseum of the Demon Castle.  And you have to fight your way back out, whip in hand.  To the tune of a dual remix of "Vampire Killer" and "Clockwork" from Cv3.  And yes, with a fiddle playing the Clockwork melody.

Earn that whip.
  • edited 2014-03-03 12:40:32
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    1241, Pest, Hungary.

Possibly Hungary's finest hour (and Croatia), and that's saying quite a lot, considering how awesome Hungary (and Croatia) can be in History.

Sure, Western European Historians are all like "Pics or it didn't happen, yo.  I call exaggeration." but historians are always like that.
  • edited 2014-03-03 12:45:41

Imagine this music playing in the "Main Street" area of Dracula's Castle, complete with demon food vendors and skeletons playing all over the place and stuff.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I got about 3 rooms into the battle arena before I was crushed. :D
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    This is my favorite BGM from the game. I recognize it from CV4 but it's still great and atmospheric.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I heard that Russia invaded Ukraine a couple days ago.

Is this true?
  • edited 2014-03-03 13:05:25
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I just looked at the outside temperature on .y phone...15℉. This snow is going nowhere fast.
  • edited 2014-03-03 13:24:51
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I like Ukraine!  It's one of my favorite nations!

I also like Belarus.
  • The sadness will last forever.
  • Just slept until 1 in the afternoon

I woke up earlier but there was loud arguing so I went back to sleep
  • Miko said:

This is my favorite BGM from the game. I recognize it from CV4 but it's still great and atmospheric.

Me too!

If anything, the area that uses it underserves it.

Here's what I've imagined: You have an area in what is otherwise a run-down-looking part of the castle complex, but this area looks really shiny and clean and well-kept.

But once you go through a door, you find that it is decaying and decrepit and has walls and floorboards that are falling apart.

You go through another door and once again the building is shiny and clean and well-kept.  And this keeps happening for this entire area in the castle.

Welcome to the Arena of Illusions.  Set that music to this area.

And perhaps the boss will be Paranoia, so that you can win from it a magic mirror that allows you to flip between the two "sides" of the Arena of Illusions at will.

(The inspiration was a new and strange building that was built on the site of what used to be an old, long-standing (for several decades) building, albeit one designated as temporary from its start.  The old building was torn down, and the new one was erected...but in Dracula's Castle, things do not just die, or go quietly.)
  • edited 2014-03-03 14:23:05
    also, fuck putin

he's like one of those tough bosses in videogames who are (character-wise) big assholes

just so satisfying to punch the fuck out of them, but it's very hard to do so

well, partly because it's hard to do so
  • he's like one of those tough bosses in videogames who are (character-wise) big assholes

just so satisfying to punch the fuck out of them, but it's very hard to do so

well, partly because it's hard to do so

• I have almost a full party already in Pokemon X.

A Frogadier, a Vivillon (Northeast US Coloring!), a Pikachu, a Flabebe, and a Charmeleon.

Me too!

If anything, the area that uses it underserves it.

Here's what I've imagined: You have an area in what is otherwise a run-down-looking part of the castle complex, but this area looks really shiny and clean and well-kept.

But once you go through a door, you find that it is decaying and decrepit and has walls and floorboards that are falling apart.

You go through another door and once again the building is shiny and clean and well-kept.  And this keeps happening for this entire area in the castle.

Welcome to the Arena of Illusions.  Set that music to this area.

And perhaps the boss will be Paranoia, so that you can win from it a magic mirror that allows you to flip between the two "sides" of the Arena of Illusions at will.

(The inspiration was a new and strange building that was built on the site of what used to be an old, long-standing (for several decades) building, albeit one designated as temporary from its start.  The old building was torn down, and the new one was erected...but in Dracula's Castle, things do not just die, or go quietly.)

That sounds similar to what it was originally used for in CV4, which was basically "SNES tech demo tower." :3

This cat is me

I am this cat

this worries me
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus's detailed review of Fritz the Cat

Coming Soon
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For some reason I'm thinking about how we dodged a bullet with the whole privatization of the Ohio Turnpike thing

I really do hope we can get FitzGerald as governor this election; I don't know how much more Kasich I can stand
    "Check your fucking privilege, cis scum."

"Sorry, i'm not really into Pokémon."
    unlike Munroe, i am quite into Pokémon at the moment

Twitch made me feel nostalgic
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Anonus's detailed review of Fritz the Cat

Coming Soon
    Don't get my hopes up.
    Honestly, Anonus is knowledgeable enough about animation that I'd love to see him review animated films
  • Hey Tachyon, buy X or Y. We could trade and battle.
  • Hey Tachyon, buy X or Y. We could trade and battle.

No love for me? ;_;
    i don't have the money to buy a 3DS right now, sorry

lately i've been playing FireRed
  • Kexruct said:

Hey Tachyon, buy X or Y. We could trade and battle.

No love for me? ;_;
    Nope. None. Fuck you, Kexruct. Fuck you.

((no but actually you should also do that))
    Tachyon said:

i don't have the money to buy a 3DS right now, sorry

lately i've been playing FireRed

aw :(
    the juxtaposing of DL's thick line animation with KLK's thin lines looks weird, somehow
  • I love that lady's character design. inb4 someone says "You mean Dexter?"
  • Satsuki is best Satsuki.

Nonon, of course, is best Nonon.
  • KIRYUIN SATSUKI
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Tre said:

KIRYUIN SATSUKI

MANKANSHOKU MAKO

TEMEEEE