My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• Justice42 said:

Why do the Japanese always need such absurdly long show themes and endings?

Padding?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    In this case it's pretty strange as I understand they have to edit out content to make room for the extra two minutes of beginning and end theme.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    SHOCKING REVELATION: Now that Animaniacs is running on The Hub, they could have Pinkie meet Pinky in the promos. Oh my God. XD
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's taken me my sweet time to watch any of The Hub's Animaniacs promos...but I wouldn't have put it past them to do that.

Finished season three...sorta. Second to last episode looked so bland and predictable I mostly skipped it. Also flawed? 

A nopony got treated crazy well because of mistaken identity, but the main characters where only interested in treating her nice because they thought she was someone else and would have ignored her otherwise. There's like... literally no moral to any of that, except maybe horrible ones.

Last episode surprised me in that I didn't even realize it was the last until Twilight was a princess. Definitely feel rushed given how often she's saved entire cities or the planet. But finishing a spell about friendship? Apparently that shit makes you royalty. 

Still, hoping season four is better and the consistently good episodes kicks back in.
  • edited 2013-04-13 06:49:47
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I fear for season four. Amy Keating Rogers is back on board for this one; she wrote most of the better episodes of the first and second seasons (though I was never very fond of "A Dog and Pony Show" and "A Friend In Deed"), but still, season three was pretty meh and should have been the end...

You know, Rogers was once the head writer of The Powerpuff Girls, yet nobody talks about this
  • Anonus said:

I fear for season four. Amy Keating Rogers is back on board for this one; she wrote most of the better episodes of the first and second seasons (though I was never very fond of "A Dog and Pony Show" and "A Friend In Deed"), but still, season three was pretty meh and should have been the end...

You know, Rogers was once the head writer of The Powerpuff Girls, yet nobody talks about this
    I felt like Season 3 was going off of cold fumes(Hit its peak with nowhere to go) It can either get a whole lot worse or be better off with this new season, I am reserved about it, and also of the ponderous nature of where it can actually go.

What loose ends were there.

If it still follows Twilight, it'd be like one of those scenarios where Samus loses all her powers just to make the next game challenging.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It is important to know when and how to end something gracefully, I think. :)
  • It is important to know when and how to end something gracefully, I think. :)

Then again, this is Hasbro we're talking about, they'll trim that money tree down to it's last and loneliest leaf is dead, nevermind the rotted molded husk of a tree trunk.
    I honestly thought they had intended to end it at 65 episodes (65 episodes has been the number at which many a kids' show has been made to call it a day, especially up until fairly recently; Disney was once notorious for their "65 episode policy"), because then they could just keep it in reruns without the production costs for a while.

Honestly, I think the renewal for a fourth season was a last-minute, after-all-was-said-and-done thing, because as rushed as it was, "Magical Mystery Cure" was pretty clearly meant to be a series finale.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Anonus said:

"A Dog and Pony Show" is one of my favorites...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ever since the bit of exposition back in "Cutie Mark Chronicles", I'd figured they were building to Celestia having trained Twilight Sparkle as her successor, so I figured they'd get to her becoming a princess eventually...but I'd also guessed it would come as the end of the series. I mean, if the whole premise is that Twilight Sparkle is learning about friendship, it doesn't really make sense to say "welp, you're done with that now" and then just keep on going, y'know?

I suppose they could pull the "but there's always more to learn about friendship~" angle, though.

Also, I kinda felt like Season 3 was when the "toy commercial" aspect became more blatant. We saw that a little bit in Season 2, with the train being featured more prominently, but it didn't feel shoehorned in—in the world they've established, it makes sense that railroads would be the primary form of long-distance transportation. Season 3, on the other hand, had the Crystal Empire, which wasn't really all that well-defined and struck me mainly as an excuse to sell those little Crystal Pony figures with the annoying glitter that rubs off like the Twilight Sparkle I totally use as a keychain.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Do we consider the comic books canon?
  • I think the biggest problem with Season 3, episodes of season 3, is that, unlike episodes of season 1 and 2, they really stopped exploring anything with any kind of depth.

In the way that the season 1 reboot had it's hiccups, when you get down to it, some of the episodes were fun, but also tapped sides with some really deep problems.

The Rarity Vs. Applejack episode from season 1 (Wow, way to be a fan you don't have all the episodes memorized). What was the central conflict in this episode? Two friends, vastly different in ideologies came clashing against each other because they didn't understand the other.

"Party of one" Pinkie Pie's emotional state is dependent on the actions and reactions of the people who surround her. This one, too, had slap-stick and jokes, but not at the expense of the conflict it was exploring.

Contrast this with the season 3 episode where Spike took care of the animals (Obviously season 1 biases, if you remembered that one episode) where the last gag completely undermined any resolution to the conflict that was presented. Spike is greedy, agrees to responsibility that is over his head, comes to terms with it in the climax, and then the cutaway gag where it turns the conflict still exists.

For a final example, let's look at

"Winter Wrap-up"

Conflict, Trying to find your place among a new community.

You know what, actually, in a way, the first season finale's conflict kind of says more about these new episodes than I can

Go on, rewatch that, you know you want to.
  • edited 2013-04-13 12:32:29
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^^There's always more to learn about life~!

Anyhow the last episode didn't really feel like an ending to me. I know Twilight becoming an Alicorn is a pretty big deal, but with one episode to go over it felt rushed and not really a proper ending to the show.

Especially the "everything is fine!" song right at the end. It seemed simultaneously telling me that I was just imagining that 3rd season was bland (save for a handful of episodes) and that this wasn't going to challenge the status quo at all. 

I guess it's weird for Princess Twilight to hang out in a small town like ponyville, though. Maybe the main six will get to travel more and deployed to fix the random crisises that pop up in Equistria, we still have five more main cast members to turn into princess to sell more toys establish how much they've grown since the beginning of the series.

Ooh, Millionaire

I am in a position to watch more daytime TV than most people could, but I missed this :<
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
  • I'm just here to gay the place up

I demand more Daring Do in season4!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Fighting_Is_Magic

Though the game will no longer be developed based on the My Little Pony characters, the Mane6 team will reuse the core gameplay elements they had devised, with new non-infringing characters to be provided by artist Lauren Faust, the original creative lead on the Friendship Is Magic series.[6]

I look forward to such new and exciting characters as Pink Pony, Cracker Jack, Shutterfly, Dainbow Rash, Magic Dusk, and Unique. 
    Hey now, they're at least switching up the species of the characters

• Justice42 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Fighting_Is_Magic

Though the game will no longer be developed based on the My Little Pony characters, the Mane6 team will reuse the core gameplay elements they had devised, with new non-infringing characters to be provided by artist Lauren Faust, the original creative lead on the Friendship Is Magic series.[6]

I look forward to such new and exciting characters as Pink Pony, Cracker Jack, Shutterfly, Dainbow Rash, Magic Dusk, and Unique. 

They already have fanart.

I'd be sad, but honestly, how long before someone figures out how to mod this thing and add all the ponies, anyways?
    I always took the fact that Lauren Faust stepped in and saved Fighting is Magic from withering away completely as a sign that she doesn't hate My Little Pony's adult fandom as much as a lot of people seem to assume she does.
  • edited 2013-04-15 00:08:06

My understanding was that she made it clear she likes that there are adult fans of the show. She just doesn't care to talk about the stranger aspects of the fandom.

Dr. Frank N. Discord?
    I haven't watched that movie in over two years >_>

Anyway

Where is that from?

I found it off Tumblr. It's a regular (alicorn shaped) chicken Mcnugget, near as I can tell. 
    Chicken McNuggets don't have that kind of breading...I assumed it was from Burger King.

Checking the tags, it's a "chicken strip" of some sort, so you're probably right.

Actully, it's tagged "#chicken" "#strip". I imagine that disappointed a few people checking out the #strip tag.

The more I stare at this, the more I see it is a thing of beauty.

Friday: OMG seriously LOVE pinky pie

IT HAS BEGUN!
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Haha. Which episode brought this on?

The one where Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash are racing. 

She found it boring expect for the parts where Pinkie is commentating with Spike.
    Justice42 said:

Friday: OMG seriously LOVE pinky pie

IT HAS BEGUN!
    Haha that's awesome

Panel #1

Or... not. Um, Princess Celestia? What's wrong? Are you crying? Hello?

Okay, it looks like she's not really responding to commands either. Maybe princesses are just hard to deal with, you know? Seriously, what is their deal? It's time to be some other pony, a more ordinary one whom no foreseeable plot twist could ever possibly reveal to be a princess as well.
    Not a bad call for late 2011...assuming they didn't retcon that page.

Or maybe there's a story twist coming that just happens to coincide with what happens at the end of season 3.

Panel #1
    Actually, speaking of books, you have one about numbers that could explain this whole octal/decimal thing! It's really a thrilling read, although somehow you've never been able to convince any of your closest friends of this fact. Well, whatever. Maybe Colgate would like it.
    Panel #2
    Here we are! "Fancy Mathematics: A History." This book has got all sorts of fascinating stories, but at present you're just interested in the history of numeric representation.

Today everypony uses MAREABIAN NUMERALS, but the earliest recorded system was QUARTAL, that is, base 4. Ponies would count 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20, and so on, adding to the next highest column every time they hit what one nowadays calls four. This was based on ponies having four hooves, but as time went on it became analogously linked to other quadripartite distinctions, in particular the four breeds of ponies: EARTH ponies, PEGASI, UNICORNS, and ALICORNS.

Understandably, the earth ponies came to resent being associated with the lowest possible of numbers. Nopony wanted to risk dissent among breeds, lest they incur another GREAT BLIZZARD of the kind that covered Equestria before the earth ponies, pegasus ponies, and unicorn ponies joined together, and so the quartal system was scrapped and replaced with the OCTAL one everypony still uses.

That's about it! Decimal numbering never really caught on in Equestria, you would guess, because it has no biological basis. Ponies have four hooves, and multiplying that by two was no great stretch of the imagination, but you don't exactly have any connection to, umm... ten.

Okay, so decimal numbering does have some small part in your society, but it's an annoying one. Try counting. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven... then what? The next three numbers are properly called ten, eleven, and twelve, but they're irregular enough that their names from the alternate decimal system are sometimes used instead, so you will also see ponies listing seven, eight, nine, and ten. Eight and nine are just fine, but the fact of the matter is that some ponies will say "ten" to mean what others call "eight," whereas those other ponies call "ten" what the first group calls "twelve." It's honestly a bit of a mess.

Anyway, other than minor details like that, the octal system is hooves-down the way to go, and so that's how your fetch modus works. It operates in all other aspects of Equestrian society -- for example, in your currency, eight/ten BITS make up a BYTE -- and so it stands to reason you should organize your library by it too! What were you doing again?
  • edited 2013-05-10 11:27:50

YOU SHOULD BE READING Hoofstuck.

WORLD BUILDING!
  • edited 2013-05-10 11:58:37
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The larger universes of Equestria and Sburb mesh together surprisingly well.

I also really like that interpretation of Fluttershy—that she's prone to anger but consciously decides not to act on it.

Also, have you gotten to the flash walkaround yet? If not, one pointer for when you do: talking to Big Macintosh while playing as Cloudkicker will end the walkaround, so do everything else first.