ITT: The heap runs a barbarian clan into the ground

An LPexperiment

What did we do heap

what did we do

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I will explain as we go.

Orlanth is the God of storms, king of the Storm pantheon, and the one who brought light back into the world during the Great Darkness.

Ernalda is Orlanth's wife, the god of plants, grain, and the earth.

Elmal used to work for Orlanth's enemy, Yelm the bad emperor. but now guards Orlanth's stead. He is the god of horses and the sun.
    In case it wasn't clear, I want you to vote on the different options in yellow.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    one
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    get drunk
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    horses
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Nomads. Chase the thunder.
    The majority of the votes right now are for Elmal. Anyone else want to vote?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Oh, Orlanth.
    2 Votes for Orlanth, 3 votes for Elmal, and 1 vote for Ernalda.

I will declare a winner in the morning.
  • kill living beings
    lol, heads hurt

i vote for ernalda
    With 3 votes, It looks like Elmal won.

I'll explain some of the important names during a later clan-making choice, but for now just choose whichever
  • cow mother, in honour of imi
    Healing.
    Jested's settlement
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    All hells of cow mother
    2 votes for Jested, 2 votes for Uralda, 1 vote for Healing.

Keep the votes coming. If there's a tie, I'll choose what I think is most advantageous.
  • edited 2015-01-14 17:33:35
    kill living beings
    EDIT actually let's go with jested
  • sitting around having no fun, boring trade negotiations

the most Phantom Menace of clans
    And we're going with Jested's settlement

NOTE: this game doesn't save during this clan-making segment, so if a bunch of people come in and really wants us to have a different Famous Event, I can still change it.
    Bump in case people missed the update
    Family!
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Family~
  • edited 2015-01-15 02:06:07
    My dreams exceed my real life
    We adopted them as family
    Wav750Z.png

Explanations for enemy choices

The Trolls are a group of humanoid monsters that used to live deep underground, until Orlanth killed Yelm the Bright Bad Emperor and sent him to the underworld, thus driving the light-hating trolls to the surface. Trolls are always hungry and can eat anything. They have a curse on them that makes it so that only 30% of their offspring are proper Dark Trolls, and 70% are litters of small, weak, unintelligent Trollkin. Trolls are matriarchal. Peaceful contact between Trolls and humans is not unknown, but mostly they just raid humans for food.

The Beastmen are a group of nature oriented creatures with both human and animal features(centaurs, satyrs, minotaurs etc). They live in Beast Valley to the west of Dragon Pass. Not much is known besides that. 

Elves are living plants. Their are different types of elves corresponding to different types of plants. Only the elves bred to deal with humans look humanoid, the rest looking like creatures made out of bark or leaves. They mostly keep to themselves.

The Praxians are a diverse group of nomads living out in the deserts of Prax. Each tribe herds, rides, and feeds off of a single animal, from the mighty rhinocerous raiders, to the High Llama tribe, to the Impala pygmies. Sometimes they band together under a warlord and menace other lands. They worship Urox, the Storm Bull, like we do, but share no other Gods in common.

The Ice Tribe are Ice Demons. They make things cold. What do you want from me, they're ice demons, you get the idea.

Ice!
    2 votes for Elves, 1 vote for Ice Tribe
  • go on then, fuck the elves. who likes elves. nobody.
    The Wolf of the Sun hath commanded progress! We hate elves!

Chaos is bad. We hate Chaos. Grrr Chaos.

Heort was good. We like Heort. Yay Heort.

Which kind of clan are we? As an Elmali clan, we are stout warriors, especially when defending, so other clans will have a harder time attacking us even if we don't attack them.
    peace sounds good
    Note: Cattle Raids are not considered non-peaceful acts.

Are cattle raids important?

They are one of multiple ways to get cattle, which is the main measurement of wealth for an Orlanthi tribe.
  • wealth of the tribe?

collective wealth?

ARE THESE COMMUNIST BARBARIANS?!?!?!?!?
    The Clan Ring(basically the clan's leaders) may demand cattle from the clan's Carls for trading, diplomatic, or sacrificing purposes. The Carls also have a right to say "no" but they mostly go along with it provided the clan leadership doesn't get too greedy or act too badly. They won't say "no" in game, but they will throw fits if they think things aren't going well.

While I'm mentioning this, let me talk about social positions in Orlanthi society.

There's the Nobles who represent the best and brightest, with the closest connections to the Gods. Each noble serves a specific God. It's not a hereditary position, it goes to magically skilled or otherwise gifted individuals. 7 Nobles make up the Clan Ring, with one being the Chieftain.

There are the Weaponthanes who are the full-time warriors of the clan. They each have a horse and the best arms and equipment bronze-age technology can provide. They are expected to die for the clan if need be, and as such are prissy entitled whiners when they aren't fighting on the field of battle.

Farmers make up the majority of the clan. They mostly till the fields and tend the herds, but will take up arms if the clan gets invaded, or needs to go a-raiding. They are divided into Carls, who own more land and cattle, and cottars who own less land and sheep. It's just a matter of wealth, so the divisions aren't hard and fast.

Hunters hunt. They don't bring in as much food as Farmers, but they're better warriors, patrol the tula(the lands owned by the tribe) and improve the odds of exploration missions.

Thralls are slaves. We don't own any.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Let's vote for balanced. Balanced seems good. 
    Balance.
    2 for Peace, 2 for Balance.

I need a tie-breaker here.
    I'll wait a few hours for a deciding vote, then decide whichever one strikes my fancy if no one casts it.
  • balance in all things imo
  • edited 2015-01-16 15:52:35
    My dreams exceed my real life
    We are Balanced then 

Elmal, The Loyal Thane is our patron god, He guarded Orlanth's stead while Orlanth was away on the legendary Lightbringer's quest. He is the god of the Sun, and the god of horses.

Urox, The Storm Bull is Orlanth's brother and the staunchest fighter of Chaos there is. His unruly and lawless, as are his followers.

Odayla, The Hunter is the son of Orlanth and the god of hunting.

Ernalda, The Mother Goddess is Orlanth's wife, and the god of Grain and in charge of the welfare of Orlanthi women.

Orlanth, The Father is the Storm God, who slew Yelm the Bad Emperor, brought light back into the world after the Great Darkness, and rules over the Storm Pantheon. Orlanthi, our people, are named after him, and most chieftains follow him.

Issaries , the Talking God, is the god of trade, negotiation, and bargaining. He was one of the Seven Lightbringers who brought light back into the world after the Great Darkness

Lhankor Mhy, the Knowing God is the god of knowledge, truth, and law. Orlanthi Lawspeakers follow him. His followers know how to read and write, the bastards. He was also one of the Seven Lightbringers.

Chalana Arroy, The Healing Goddess is the god of healing and hope. Her followers are sworn to non-violence. She was one of the Seven Lightbringers.

Uralda, The Cow Mother is the god of cows. She has dominion over cows. You sacrifice to her to get more cows, or get better milk.

There are also some gods we can sacrifice to in-game, but who aren't on this screen

Barntar, the Plowman is the god of farmers. He is the son of Orlanth and Ernalda.

Humakt is the god of war and death. He is Orlanth's brother. His followers tend to be the strongest fighters of the Orlanthi, approached only by the Uroxi.

Maran Gor, The Earthshaker is Ernalda's grim sister. She is the goddess of earthquakes, and the mother of those dragon-like beasts known as Earthshakers. Orlanthi don't generally worship her, but sometimes having a shrine to her around is not a bad idea.

Malia is the goddess of disease and pestilence. She is a Chaos goddess, so Orlanthi only sacrifice to her in fear if a plague gets too bad.

Vinga is the Goddess of Adventurers. She is sometimes considered to be the female aspect of Orlanth. Warrior women generally worship her.

Eurmal, the Trickster is the god of Tricksters. He was one of the Seven Lightbringers. Sometimes a follower of Eurmal is useful to have around, if only as a scapegoat. Sacrificing to Eurmal is a tricky prospect, as can be expected. Please do not confuse him with our patron Elmal. Here is a handy chart to help you remember this 
    Issaries. Sacrifice Maran Gor.
    ancestor worship, why not
  • elmal, because he's our homeboy