The Zestpoole's Adventure discussion thread thingamibob

edited 2013-10-11 04:12:52 in Roleplay & Games
a thread for discussion of Zestpoole's adventure because why not?

so i started this thread mainly because i want to gauge how much interest there is in continuing with this game.

i've been delighted by how positive the response to the game has been; speaking for myself i enjoy drawing the adventure, and if my shitty ms paint drawings can give amusement to other people, so much the better. i also have a lot more ideas for where to take the game so if people are still interested in continuing, we can. otoh it is time consuming for me, more so than it probably should be, so there's obviously no point in keeping it going if it's run its course.

it's been a few days now since anyone posted in the thread, so i figured now is as good a time as any to maybe do like an informal show of hands thing; i want to know:
  • if you are enjoying the game and would like it to continue
  • if you would be interested in the thread in theory but find some aspects of it offputting (and if so what?)
  • if you don't like the Zestpoole adventure but would be interested in a different adventure with the same format

so yeah thanks for reading and stuff

Comments

• I like reading it
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that's good to know as well

i admit, that wasn't really a possibility that had occurred to me.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It is highly amusing.
    thanks. :)
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    It is fun and Jabberwock is an excellent host.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    It's pretty fun and I would like it to continue.

Only concern I have is that I feel like not much happens in it. Although this may be partly because of the directions we give ("write yaoi fanfiction," who would suggest that?!??!)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's fun and I enjoy reading it
  • It is fun and Jabberwock is an excellent host.

Route 666 said:

It's fun and I enjoy reading it

• plus I'm, you know, in it for one panel because Jabberwock is awesome

so yeah, reason enough to continue
    Melusina said:

It's pretty fun and I would like it to continue.

Only concern I have is that I feel like not much happens in it. Although this may be partly because of the directions we give ("write yaoi fanfiction," who would suggest that?!??!)

probably also because i don't update it enough; i did worry about this

there's actually quite a lot to interact with in the current room and there are several exits so if people want more stuff to happen i don't think anything is stopping them, save perhaps that my environments and puzzles aren't interesting enough

i'm still kinda inexperienced, i'm afraid
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I enjoy it.

It also had an antinatalist shark.

So, I mean, that's like tons of points right there. 
    oh yes the shark

Miko apparently feels ashamed of creating it tho

btw sorry for the lack of recent updates, this will be remedied once i am more organized
    ok so at the moment i am behind with schoolwork, which is going to have to take priority

but i promise to update the thread as soon as i can
    DO IT
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    yay
    I need to read the thread from the beginning, because "antinatalist shark" is just a perfect pair of words.
    my headcanon is that the shark is kind of misunderstood

Zesty attacked him, he tried to defend himself and his instincts kicked in

he is, after all, a shark
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It amuses me that you're using "headcanon" in relation to something YOU wrote
  • edited 2014-02-19 16:50:35
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it's a forum game, i see it as more of a collaborative thing

plus the shark was originally Mojave's character in any case
    you wrote a post about a shark antinatalist in the antinatalism mock thread, Miko drew fanart of the character, and i've been shamelessly milking the joke ever since
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Antinatalists in heaper canon wear monocles and top hats.

i hope IRL antinatalists do the same

it would make them at least 5% less terrible
    Tachyon said:

i hope IRL antinatalists do the same

it would make them at least 5% less terrible

mm

ok, maybe 2%
    I've run into a number of non-terrible antinatalists. They are generally chronically depressed and extremely bookish, but otherwise pretty normal as far as Internet people go.

The crazy ones are much more entertaining in that way.
    i used to think they were just weird, but then they kept defending things like Nazism and wife-beating and i'm just like, fuck this subculture
    I think it's one of those situations where an odd philosophy attracts horrible people rather than the philosophy itself being a source of horribleness. Unfortunately, given the fact that it's sort of an alienating viewpoint, certain people who share it tend to defend more extreme people within the subculture.

But then, I've also heard more moderate pessimist philosophy people compare the really demented ones to fire-and-brimstone evangelicals in a very unflattering way, so there is that.
    In general any kind of use of the word "efilism" but in particular application of it to oneself are warning signs.

I imagine it must be very hard to be a hardcore antinatalist or Yudkowskyite or Christian, because one must constantly check the things one reads or watches for explicit agreement with one's own ideology before one can decide they like them.

It must be particularly hard to be a hardcore antinatalist, because every time you enjoy yourself, you have to think BUT THIS STILL DOESN'T JUSTIFY MY LIFE GUYS and underline it three times in mental red pen. It has to a be a buzzkill.
  • edited 2014-02-19 19:06:20
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, it's all pretty culty. Probably hella boring if you're not hideously miserable already, too.

I think this all comes back to the problem of people structuring their entire lives around an inflexible ideology without accepting any potential for contradiction or change in opinion. Those sort of people tend to not be very good at being good people.
  • that's prolly why they build their lives around an inflexible ideology.

very sturdy.
    That is true. Inflexible, mean people like inflexible, mean systems.
    It's still too dark to read anything, guys!
  • edited 2014-02-23 16:51:24
    But not too dark to HYDRATE!

Also, the sodium in that cola is totes going to neutralise the hydration value, hence my suggestion with the sink. Additionally, regular intervals are preferable to all at once because of how the body processes water. Otherwise you'll just pee it all out. I am serious.
    Yes, that's why it didn't restore very much.

The sink is a better plan. :)
  • edited 2014-02-23 16:52:26
    Mothafuckin' SCIENCE.

^ Coo.
    i cannot promise that this game will be scientifically accurate.

There isn't a bladder meter, for one thing.
    Well, yeah. Antinatalist shark. Morpheus. Science is a fluid art here.
  • edited 2014-02-23 17:04:27
    Morpheus is debatable; his province is the mind, but that doesn't mean he can't be imagined like anyone else.

There is the Nestlé Wax Beetle™/small statue of Derpy Hooves, though
    we need to get out of this place

if it's the last thing we ever do
    We need to get out of this place!

Girl, there's a better life for me and you,
    damn straight
  • edited 2014-04-30 20:05:00
    bumpity

@Byakuren sorry for not carrying out your command in its entirety.  It's a good idea, but Zestpoole can't just wear something like a bunch of books or a washer door, since they don't have straps attached.  You need to combine them with something first. :)
    argh, i make so many dumb continuity errors with every update

fixed and reuploaded, in case anyone couldn't see the new images before
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Tachyon said:

bumpity

@Byakuren sorry for not carrying out your command in its entirety.  It's a good idea, but Zestpoole can't just wear something like a bunch of books or a washer door, since they don't have straps attached.  You need to combine them with something first. :)

Yes, I posted a reply as you can see :p
    And yes, I think I should stop before I got all crazy about crafting shit ^_^;
    Craft to your heart's content, my dear. :D

*kiss*
    Crafting is good! :)

Combining and wearing items are also the two best options available if you want more inventory space.  For instance, a toothbrush, a rubber band and a pig femur would take up three inventory slots, but the toothbrush banded to the femur occupies only one slot.

The clothes Zestpoole wears don't take up any inventory space at all, but obviously there's a limit to how much she can wear and move around comfortably.
    Byakuren said:

>Press button, receive bacon

Pyrid, you are a woman after my own heart.