Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Made in Abyss continues to be an amazing show.

Just saying. You should be watching it.
  • kill living beings
    what's the pace like

am i going to have to watch it to see more of narehate village
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    As of episode 4, they've just reached the second layer.
  • kill living beings
    if it's two cour i guess that would put them at a reasonable end.
    I think it's only twelve episodes or so, but something tells me they're banking on getting the go-ahead to do more.
  • kill living beings
    i mean, you know how deep the big hole is. it's a lot of hole to fall down in thirteen episodes.
    I'm aware! And aren't there forty-odd chapters out at the moment?
  • kill living beings
    in translation, yeah.

so far the big events are around meeting white whistles. two so far, though the latter took longer.
  • kill living beings
    they get told about both like a million years in advance
  • edited 2017-08-02 03:16:32

now having finished binge-watching Penguindrum (going ahead of the anime stream, lol), I can now say that I don't fully get people who praised Utena but snubbed Penguindrum and Yurikuma later on
    I only found out about people not liking Penguindrum after reading a glowing review of it by a person whose opinions I generally trust, so I'm preconditioned to be sceptical on the "consensus" here.

And there are people who think Yurikuma perpetuates bad yuri stereotypes, which is pretty, well, LOL.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    i'm only on episode 11 of penguindrum but i have to ask
    Spoiler:
    does ringo get better??? right now she's just really annoying to me and combines the worst aspects of the tsundere and yandere archetypes. she's like, a creepy stalker almost date rapist towards tabuki, and verbally and physically abusive to shouma. i like terrible female characters usually but this is too much for meeee i'm so annoyed by her presence
  • edited 2017-08-02 04:12:06

Spoiler:
    she does in just the next few eps—though not before having some messed-up stuff happening to her first
  • Flip Flappers is also Good, Actually
    I really need to get around to these Good Anime...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Same.
  • status of X Yers anime series:

Flip Flappers - reportedly good
    Hand Shakers - reportedly bad
  • Hand Shakers goes beyond 'bad' into "how did this get to broadcast" territory.
    Also: Get Backers, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Savers, Sorcerer Hunters. Arguable: The Sky Crawlers, Geobreeders, Gundam Build Fighters. Not Really: Fairy Musketeers, Wizard Barristers.
    Jane said:

Hand Shakers goes beyond 'bad' into "how did this get to broadcast" territory.

I mean, the first episode is bad in a fascinatingly bizarre way, but nobody seems to have seen more than that one episode. And at least it's, well, ambitiously bad? There's a lot of stuff which is bafflingly lousy which has even less to say for it.
  • Also: Get Backers, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Savers, Sorcerer Hunters. Arguable: The Sky Crawlers, Geobreeders, Gundam Build Fighters. Not Really: Fairy Musketeers, Wizard Barristers.

this post is win
  • edited 2017-08-03 07:07:14
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm pretty sure that's far from all of them. It is or was a weirdly common anime title formula in the way that [Adjective] [Noun] [Proper Noun] used to be.
  • Jane said:

Hand Shakers goes beyond 'bad' into "how did this get to broadcast" territory.

I mean, the first episode is bad in a fascinatingly bizarre way, but nobody seems to have seen more than that one episode. And at least it's, well, ambitiously bad? There's a lot of stuff which is bafflingly lousy which has even less to say for it.
    uh-oh, now i'm starting to become curious
  • edited 2017-08-03 07:14:32
    It has some of the most garish CGI put to screen and some really wacky bondage imagery on top of a very cliché quasi-plot mostly lifted from Guilty Crown.

I'm sorely tempted to watch it just to say I have.
    Whenever somebody brings up Hand Shakers, I just always remember this GIF:

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Same, and I'm inclined to agree with "ambitiously garish" from the first two and almost three episodes I saw as it aired. Mostly it hurt my eyes.

ANIME.
    So Neo Ranga is already pretty good. And odd.
  • edited 2017-08-05 06:21:58
    A sudden gory death! This is a Shou Aikawa anime! :D
    I'm very tired and stuff so like: How much of a Crystal show is this? I, somehow, have forgotten about this over the years and am surprisingly ignorant of it (I'm used to being at least kind of familiar with most works I look up).
  • I've tried to watch Neo Ranga a couple times and 1.) while the start is really good I've lost interest a quarterish through both times, and 2.) the official translation is really bad, to the point it makes following the plot difficult.
  • edited 2017-08-05 06:46:19
    It's about three irascible Japanese girls who reluctantly inherit an Indonesian god-golem from their dead brother and use it to solve complex national problems. It was also the passion project of a writer who started out making schlocky, misanthropic OVAs and then went on to script the much-beloved first Fullmetal Alchemist series and Concrete Revolutio. (Aikawa also wrote the Vampire Princess Miyu OVAs and Martian Successor Nadesico a few years before this, so there is a progression of sorts.)

^ Not sure what translation I'm watching but it seems pretty comprehensible thus far? I am of course sticking with subtitles given the age of the dub, at least on the first watch.
    I'm interested in and will eventually watch all of those, which I think is maybe why the name sounds familiar, buuuuut... that sounds fun.
    It literally throws you into the middle of what seems like a Godzilla movie and these girls just seem weirdly non-plussed until the second episode explains what the hell is going on.

Also, Joel and his pet axolotl-thing are A+.
    Please do keep me updated on if it becomes more Crystalian, I like the glimpses I've taken of the art and the oldest sister.
    Also I think I will actually give K&M a shot in like... a week or so?
    K&M?
  • edited 2017-08-05 06:56:49
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Knight's & Magic, the show with the moeboy I posted in your thread. It's on CR, so.
  • Ernie is cute and huggable.
    Oooh, he's very cute! Actually, looking it up, there are several cute boys in this show... >w>;
  • Crystal said:

Knight's & Magic, the show with the moeboy I posted in your thread. It's on CR, so.

oh right, I was gonna watch that
    It seems to have some Crystalian girls too, so...
    Ooooh?
    Oh man, literally all of them are super cute. I will be watching this in some capacity, hopefully the good outweighs the bad.
    Do let me know how it is!
    Violet Evergarden has been picked up by Netflix, to start airing in January 2018.

And they're still doing the "weekly in Japan, batch worldwide" thing, presumably because they hate money.